It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 Quake Just Hit SE Alaska High on the Cascadia Subduction Zone

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWetCoast
At the very least this quake should serve as a reminder that everyone living near the coast along the ring of fire should be prepared(which does seem to be the case).
edit on 5-1-2013 by TheWetCoast because: question was anwered before I finished my post.

Unfortunately there are things you just can't prepare for unless you change your whole life, like the trail I exercise on daily is by the ocean and if I was miles down the trail when it happened I have no chance at all.

The road from my husbands job 25 mins away is all ocean side so he would no be coming home, we would be separated. The road out if i had to get higher from home is blocked by rivers that would rise...sooo

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
the fault line on the west coast of america is sliping.
it will not take long until the rest slips.
then the west coast falls into the sea.

if I was you and you can do it.
I would move to the east coast.
it could happen any day now.

WOAH nilly...

MANY are predicting a Tsunami on the eastern coast of the US this year.

Some are convinced that a mega tsunami will happen in November triggered by the Palma Canary Islands volcano: www.thetruthbehindthescenes.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixlights321

Originally posted by RussianScientists
I'm interested in seeing if Phage was right when he wrote down January 27th. Will a big earthquake strike on or very near that date?

Does someone have a link to what Phage posted? If Phage is giving info about a possible date, I'm getting the heck out of here.

edit on 5-1-2013 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I have one of the links.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Well technically, Olivine is right- this quake occurred on the Queen Charlotte, north of the scientifically defined CSZ, which supposedly ends at Vancouver Island. So yeah, technically the title of the thread is a little off. But go ahead and ask Mother Nature if she cares what we call it when the whole thing gives way the next time.

The Queen Charlotte fault intersects, and really is the northern extension of the CSZ. And fault extensions proved to be quite nasty in Japan with that 9+. I guess I think of it more in terms of the whole plate intersection, up and down the coast, without so much emphasis on the names given by science.

As to the types of motion, it might help to review some links about focal mechanisms, characteristics of the Queen Charlotte Fault, and previous quakes that have occurred there. For the more technically inclined, you can view the historic moment tensor solutions here:
neic.usgs.gov...

But I think because this occurred in a subduction zone, it is considered a type of thrust event, which is then further defined by the particular type of slip motion on the fault.

Earthquake Canada says the first quake is likely associated with "relative motion across the Queen Charlotte fault system offshore" of the BC coast. The agency says the surrounding area of that plate boundary has hosted eight earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater over the past 40-years. It also notes, the quake, "is related to that Haida Gwaii earthquake three months previously, and is an expression of deformation along the same plate boundary system."

www.250news.com...

So at least one agency is relating this to the last one. Stress redistributions we talk about that happen because of big quakes occur in areas adjacent to the epicenter- and north and south of the epicenter along the fault line- which can manifest as quakes in the future. And here is a textbook example of this, with this quake occurring north of the last Haida Gwaii quake.

One view might have it that this quake is a distributed stress relief reaction to the Haida Gwaii quake, while another view might have it that is its own quake.

My view is that it's too many damn quakes on that zone, as I have been saying for some time with the other thread!

Yeah that one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Sat Jan 5th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

And oh, for those looking for the latest status of movements on the fault, yeah, she's still moving, generating all kinds of small aftershocks, most unreported. I am back to live monitoring again, after taking a break.
edit on Sat Jan 5th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
4dtraveler.net...

Here's an interesting article about the cascadia subduction zone. Baranoff Island/Sitka has a neighbor to the west on Kruzoff island called Mt. Edgecumbe. Mt. Edgecumbe is a dormant volcano that lies about 15 miles away from Sitka. It's a constant reminder to Sitkans (when you can see it) that the earth is one good shake away from letting you know who's boss.

en.wikipedia.org...(Alaska)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wow, that sounded scary- I'm nowhere near ya'll but my thoughts are with everyone!
How do the fisherman fare during a tsunami? Isn't it crab season now.. Or, are they further North?
Hope everyone is safe tonight.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
At sea is where I would want to be if the big one hit. The Bering sea fleet is 1000 miles away from this quake so no worries there.

I just posted on my facebook asking if Baranof warmsprings or Goddard hotsprings have changed at all as a result of this quake. That would indeed be scary if they have. Hotter/colder-not flowing etc. Goddard Hotsprings is on the west coast of baranoff island, 20 or so miles south of Sitka and Baranoff warmsprings is directly east of Sitka on the other side of Baranoff island.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Good to know. Thank you.
Will be keeping an eye on that zone- sending lots of love that way!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
All the ATS'ers in the region hang on to your tin foil hats !
Good luck and our thoughts are with you.
If you're not to busy you could give us first hand accounts, just remember women, kids ........then ATS

Sitting on my computer doing some work and thought i felt shaking, then knew i felt shaking. Stood up, there was a strong almost abrupt shake and then it settled down for a few moments though still shook, then done. I went outside for a smoke and it was over, seemed not to last as long as the one in November, but the one shake at least to me seemed bit more powerful in this one, just going by my own impressions.

Would actually be interested to know the difference in overall length of time from the one in November in Haida Gwaii as compared to how long this one lasted, but maybe that would vary from place to place depending. The one in November seemed to last for quite awhile, relatively speaking.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
For those of you in Hawaii: Surf's up!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Runciter33

Do you ever hear a sound associated with an earthquake? I ask because I have had multiple instances of sudden, very localized sudden jolts with a loud bang. They happen instantaneously, almost like an underground bomb. A loud bang, jolt, windows and house rattles, and it's all over. I have only experienced the most minor of quakes in Georgia, a couple in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. I was immediately aware of what they were, but these sudden jolts, I have no idea.

Tried reporting them a couple of times, but never gotten a response ir seen them show as reported events. At a total loss to explain them.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

What you are describing sounds like small, shallow, close quakes. I always say it sounds/feels like a truck hit the house. In my experience, they are usually 1-2.5 mag whithin a few miles of me.

You won't see those small ones listed on USGS....you need to find a local monitoring network for that. If you feel comfortable giving a general location, there are several on here that could find you links for local monitoring.

Also...are you near any fracking operations?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

You might be interested in the answer I would give to your question. Do you ever hear earthquakes ?

I hear them coming only in my sleep. Every time there is a quake coming and I'm asleep. I can hear the sound of a train on the tracks that wakes me up some times as much as two to three seconds before it actually hits. Two or three times at least I woke next to my partner and said earthquake ! Then blam it hits. My girlfriend at the time this happened once called me a freak. She was up just before one happened . Freaked her out a little bit. Worse then the actual quake.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

That is interesting! When I experienced the quakes that have registered, I admit I felt "odd". I was the only one who noticed them even happening, and had to look them up to prove it to them. The 3.5 seemed obvious, I was in the hospital at work when it happened. The whole buildibg moved, and I felt nauseated for just a minute or two. My head felt "swimmy", but it gies away fast.

Thanks for the reply!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
reply to post by Runciter33

Do you ever hear a sound associated with an earthquake? I ask because I have had multiple instances of sudden, very localized sudden jolts with a loud bang. They happen instantaneously, almost like an underground bomb. A loud bang, jolt, windows and house rattles, and it's all over. I have only experienced the most minor of quakes in Georgia, a couple in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. I was immediately aware of what they were, but these sudden jolts, I have no idea.

Tried reporting them a couple of times, but never gotten a response ir seen them show as reported events. At a total loss to explain them.

I h ave 1 time. It was maybe 3 months after 9/11 and we got spooked because my mom and I thought we heard an explosion. About the time we heard the explosion the earthquake hit. Not sure how deep it was but I don't think it was too deep.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

What you are describing sounds like small, shallow, close quakes. I always say it sounds/feels like a truck hit the house. In my experience, they are usually 1-2.5 mag whithin a few miles of me.

You won't see those small ones listed on USGS....you need to find a local monitoring network for that. If you feel comfortable giving a general location, there are several on here that could find you links for local monitoring.

Also...are you near any fracking operations?

I have no way of knowing if there is fracking going on. I have also searched to the best if my ability to find local monitoring stations, but I seem to be in an area that has a void. To be hobest, I was hopeful that reporting these would spark some interest locally, but no luck.

Some things I can tell you. I live near a quarry, but I do not think it is related as it happens all times of the day and night. I believe they have regs about when they can abd cannot blast, ie: times of the day.

I do live very near a group of fault lines in NE Georgia. Not too far from University of Georgia, in Athens. I live in the country, about 30 minutes SSE of that.

I checked UGA, as well as USGS for monitoring, but nothing I think close enough to me to pick it up.

It does seem to have "hot" times, when it happens, it is more frequent. When it goes quiet, it stays quiet sometimes a couple years at a time. I have lived here since 1996.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Like I had indicated earlier, the whole Pacific regions seems to be really having more than usual activity.

Type: Earthquake Magnitude: 4.4 DateTime: Saturday January 5 2013, 14:37:18 UTC Region: Island of Hawaii, Hawaii

Latest Global Quake Infor Here!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Not exactly the place I would want to be at during an earthquake.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Not exactly the place I would want to be at during an earthquake.

Wow, and that's only a 7.7ish. Imagine a 9 hitting Cascadia? eeep. I'm still running outside. I will sense the waves and be outside before the shaking starts. Nothing will stop me from getting outside. I hope.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

2.9 105km SE of Old Iliamna, Alaska 2013-01-06 02:16:56 59.150°N 153.485°W

usgs

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join