It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.7 Quake Just Hit SE Alaska High on the Cascadia Subduction Zone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Getting more info...

Whoa! Look at that location...

High on the Cascadia subduction zone.... Hmm, Considering the previous quakes we've had on that zone, is Cascadia finally ready to let loose? What if this is a foreshock?

edit on Sat Jan 5th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
9.6km depth

7.5 2013-01-05 08:58:19 55.292°N 134.728°W

9.9km depth

4.7 Aftershock 2013-01-05 09:27:20 55.541°N 135.252°W

Posted 5 minutes ago – West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center

How likely:How soon:How severe:
A tsunami Advisory is now in effect which includes the coastal areas of British Columbia from the Washington-British Columbia border to the north tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. - Event details: Preliminary magnitude 7.7 (Mwp) earthquake / Lat: 55.268, Lon: -134.855 at 2013-01-05T08:58:16Z Tsunami advisories mean that a tsunami capable of producing strong currents or waves dangerous to people in or very near the water is expected. Significant widespread inundation is not expected for areas under an advisory. Currents may be hazardous to swimmers, boats, and coastal structures and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

edit on 5-1-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Sweet.....

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Yes, I am in northern British Columbia and i just felt it. Second one in the last few months in this area, and I don't remember ever experiencing an earthquake in this particular region before in the nearly 30 years i've lived here.

Hope everyone is ok.

Here's another link.

www.google.org...
edit on 5-1-2013 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Ripple?

or Cascadia effect!

Brace yourselves Alaska, Vancouver, BC, Wash, SF!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Its certainly seen some action these psst few months! Fingers hoping its not a foreshock. Any tsunami alert for Hawaii? They had one after the 7.7 of BC last time.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
A tsunami warning is now in effect which includes the coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the north tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia to Cape Suckling, Alaska (75 miles SE of Cordova).

- PTWC

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
just saw the tsunami warning on tv. I ignored it at first and thought it was a test but wow.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

This from your link is worrying Murkraz!

IMPACTS FOR TSUNAMI WARNING AREAS ---------------------------------

* A TSUNAMI WITH SIGNIFICANT WIDESPREAD INUNDATION OF LAND IS EXPECTED.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

If you are low coastal in any of that region, I would move to higher ground. The first tsunami link shows it being widespread, just not immediate. Maybe I don't know how to read the tsunami map? But it doesn't look comfortable.

The description sounds like it is going like a backlash, rather than outlash, but the map showing the 3, and 6 hours seems to show different. Like I said, perhaps I can't read it correctly. Not seeing direct warnings for Hawaii, though.

ETA: See is this works

wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov...

edit on 5-1-2013 by Libertygal because: eta link

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Tsunami WarningCape Decision to Salisbury Sound Coastal Area; Cape Fairweather to Cape Suckling Coastal Area; Dixon Entrance to Cape Decision Coastal Area; Eastern Baranof Island and Southern Admiralty Island; Eastern Chichagof Island; Glacier Bay; Haines Borough and Lynn Canal; Inner Channels from Kupreanof Island to Etolin Island; Juneau Borough and Northern Admiralty Island; Misty Fjords; Salisbury Sound to Cape Fairweather Coastal Area; Southern Inner Channels

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thanks libertygal! I'm not in HI, but honeymooning there soon, so am just keeping an eye on it
I found a statement from ptwc regarding it, not expecting anything big, like you said, looks like its headed back to west coast. ptws bulletin

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

It shouldn't be too bad if there is a tsunami, as that quake is not anything like what hit Japan. But it is powerful enough to generate one, and with the shallow depth, it is possible. But as others point out, other agencies have it at 7.4- so I expect the USGS magnitude will likely drop a couple of points, as is so often the case. Let's wait and see if we get reports of any waves hitting the coastlines...

EDIT: yuppers, USGS dropped it 7.5
edit on Sat Jan 5th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Tsunami expected to hit in 5mins!

link   

Originally posted by bkaust
reply to post by Libertygal

Thanks libertygal! I'm not in HI, but honeymooning there soon, so am just keeping an eye on it
I found a statement from ptwc regarding it, not expecting anything big, like you said, looks like its headed back to west coast. ptws bulletin

Ah well! Early congrats in that case!

link   
woha , damn i just saw that , this baby hit right at a major plate junction ..

yup i hate to say it, but 2013 may see a bit more then normal big quake amounts ...

tho im hoping im wrong about this ... want me to get the seismogram s and upload it ?

ill keep a google on any kind of major damage etc..

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I just dug it up from one of the closest stations, US.WRAK:

www.iris.edu...

wowza, big one!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
All the ATS'ers in the region hang on to your tin foil hats !
Good luck and our thoughts are with you.
If you're not to busy you could give us first hand accounts, just remember women, kids ........then ATS

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Any indication on height if its within minutes of hitting the coast, any buoy data coming in?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

A few buoys in the area are in event mode. One of them shows a slight spike:

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join