It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cumbria, UK: Nuclear waste dump mineshaft fracking mess!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
brill post highlighting what the mainstream media has been muffling since 2008 when Cumbrian council leaders (not the councillors ...they were,nt allowed to vote) were persuaded to overturn the findings of the Nirex Inquiry and "express an interest" in Lakeland being a nuclear sacrifice zone. There are quite a few petitions flying around ..but there needs to be more visible opposition or the government will kid on that Cumbria is a " willing community". HA DE HA .... This today........
mariannewildart.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MarianneB

Fantastic Marianne!! Nice to see a local group that takes positive action on the matter, I only wish there was more.

I have similar results here in Workington, for say every 20 people I ask, only 1 or 2 says yes, that is usually on the grounds of bringing employment into the area, and they generally don't have a clue what is involved.

Thank you very much for your input and link, and I recommend other ATS'ers take a read!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Indeed.

I hope to enjoy your beautiful scenery and that without a hazmat suit.

You think it will be just as beautiful when it gets to Chernobyl/Pripyat levels?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
nice thread woogle

if i'm not mistaken, the nuclear industry here in the uk was sold off to
private interests except the waste liability and de-commissioning costs
which are nailed to the taxpayer. gotta love the nda deal!

i understand the fracking industry has been given the go-ahead to set-up
shop and a small snippet of news i noticed around xmas day was that foreign
investment has been secured for these operations so i doubt the government
will be willing to re-consider it's stance unless a major incident occurs, however
by then the nut is out of it's sack.
with all the information coming from the states regarding the fracking situation,
it should be put on record all who pushed for this with a provision that they
will be personally liable should it go tits-up.
i remember emailing defra and environmental health blackpool pre-tremor when fracking operations
started up. the replies back were run of the mill 'we are keeping an eye on it'.

remember the open university progs on after midnight? those were the days.
one broadcast showed vulcan modelling software of radioactive leeching from a future
repository into the strata and it's slow journey south of sellafield,windscale,calder hall
towards south cumbria over a few thousand years lol! see page 16 5.1.1 of pdf for shale evidence.

nda.gov.uk/documents/upload/Sellafield-geological-and-hydrogeological-investigations-the-geological-structure-of-the-Sellafield-site-1997.pdf
for the above to work just add http etc seems it won't work otherwise

i'm not too sure as to whether there
are more recent models that have been undertaken. if fracking is to be carried out in the vicinity
of drigg,sellafield or any other future location for a repository, i would say a new clutch of
risk assessments and intrusive surveys should be carried out at the very minimum.

to thetoastmancometh.
sergey gashchak, radio ecologist in the fields of zoology and biology has done extensive research
into the pripyat contamination over at least 20 years. he and a few others coined the term 'leopardskin
fallout' where stretches of land are alternatively uncontaminated and contaminated.
the strange thing about the surrounding area and it's wildlife,flora and fauna is how much diversity
has took root with the absence of man. tis a shame the ruski government want to earmark the site
to store more radioactive isotopes and contaminated materials.
also of interest is boris sorochinsky's work on soil and plant readings where he states nature
has evolved repair mechanisms.
f(uk).
edit on 8-1-2013 by fakedirt because: checked link and problem found

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Hi FD,

You would be correct in that assumption. The Government makes a nice little earner and the private companies didn't have to foot the bill for the material that was already lying there.

The fracking has been given the go ahead, despite warnings from some of the very people employed to assess the potential damage caused, but then that was the same with the reports from the nuke repository, one of the top advisers was even sacked for voicing his concerns. Problem is, if it goes tits up, it will be too late, and I can't help but feel everybody globally will be affected by it.

This is a link to the PDF you mention..... PDF

Sadly, all the models in the world will not convince me (and some of the experts by the looks of it) that doing all this in one area, especially this one, will ever be safe.

Thanks for your reply.

On a positive note, a lot more locals are starting to take note and voice there opinion, Facebook statuses/pages and other web blogs are starting to pop up all over the place, some are even linking my thread on ATS.... not that it will make a difference, there is money involved so public opinion does not matter.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Do you have a link about the "leopard spotting" of radiation, or any info about it?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
More news on the matter:

Lake District National Park may host nuclear waste site

Campaigners have called for the Lake District National Park to be excluded from a search for an underground nuclear waste repository in Cumbria.

Councils in the west of the county have expressed an interest in taking waste from the Sellafield reprocessing plant.

But at a public meeting in Keswick the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) was urged to rule out the national park.

I'm starting to think it doesn't matter what the people want, the Councillors just want to fill their pockets.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sick.

Too bad you don't have uninhabited desert like we do for the Yucca Mountain site.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

The more I read things on this site.... the more i'm thinking of applying for a seat on MARS 1!!

Nice area Cumbria.... never visited though.... its a shame if it becomes a nuclear waste site!!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

hello toastman
i watched a docu (2hrs) on eden channel several months ago and jotted down as much as i could.
sergey gashchak, the man in the zone i do believe coined the phrase.
leonid bogdan is/was the director of the lab measuring the radionuclides around the zone.
another avenue may be an archive of nature magazine 26th april 1996 although apparently the report was retracted and connected with robert bakers scientific team.
one last lead is tim mousseau, prof at colombia.

hope that helps.
f(uk)

btw found this it may be of interest
www.slideshare.net...

edit on 14-1-2013 by fakedirt because: added rad

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm a Cumbrian, living in Carlisle.

I will be moving away if all this goes ahead!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Thanks fakedirt...

I'm looking through the slides right now...perhaps nature will have a chance after we torch it?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Well, today is the day that they make the decision, Cumbria councils vote over nuclear waste project

A lot of people gone to protest against it, I would like to think it would make a difference, probably not.

Sadly work commitments are preventing me being there.

I will try and keep you informed.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Great post OP - though 'the last place before Scotland' might give the impression to non UK peeps that it's the only route to Scotland. In fact the A1, part of which is motorway, runs from London to Scotland through Northumberland and if you are not in the west of the country, that would be the preferred route for many of us. But maybe that's just me being pedantic.

Otherwise great info, great pics and links. As for where one should put the waste, the answer is we shouldn't be using those technologies in the first place. Including fracking and especially not in the same area. But don't get me started on fracking. I understand it is controversial in the US too. This is nothing less than the rape of our planet for short term gain. They have tried to sell it to us with the promise of cheaper energy. Well don't hold your breath on that one. Not that price should be relevant anyway - the overall cost/risk is simply too high.
edit on 30-1-2013 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
news.sky.com...

decent outcome they have voted against it

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Yes, looks like we won

Cumbria stays beautiful.

Result!

Nuclear store process finished in west Cumbria - Government

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Thanks for the compliment.

As for the last place thing, I had explained somewhere that all I meant by that is that most people travelling to Scotland from the south would take the motorway (M6), which travels through Cumbria.

I would never suggest avoiding Northumberland, nice place, was in Newcastle at the weekend.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
More news.....

How often do you hear Councillors speak like this?

"Cumbria is not the best place geologically in the UK and the government's efforts need to be focused on disposing of the waste underground in the safest place, not the easiest.

"Members have remained concerned throughout on the issue of the legal right of withdrawal if we proceed to the next stage.

"Cumbria has a unique and world-renowned landscape which needs to be cherished and protected. While Sellafield and the Lake District have co-existed side by side successfully for decades, we fear that if the area becomes known in the national conscience as the place where nuclear waste is stored underground, the Lake District's reputation may not be so resilient."

Some faith in TPTB restored.....only a little though, nothing to get excited about.

Cumbria nuclear project rejected by councillors

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join