It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know why I don't like Snopes... Why doesn't ATS like Snopes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Because they have been caught lying and distorting and taking things out of context.

Care to show us some examples....?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

HERE

Obama ties to Islam Ref article page: www.snopes.com... Snopes reply claims there is no evidence Obama has ever been a Muslim radical or otherwise. Snopes also quoted Obamas Senatorial page and statements as if they were irrefutable evidence. A brief google and it seems to me there is evidence Obama did participate in Islam and Muslim studies and faith and did participate in prayer and attend Mosque. In January 1968, Obama was registered as a Muslim at Jakarta's Roman Catholic Franciscus Assisi Primary School under the name Barry Soetoro. After attending the Assisi Primary School, Obama was enrolled, also as a Muslim, in the Besuki Primary School, a public school in Jakarta. In his autobiography, "Dreams From My Father," Obama mentions studying the Koran and describes the public school as "a Muslim school." - LA Times March 16, 2007 A close boyhood friend of Obama, Zulfin Adi, said Barack "was a Muslim. He went to the mosque." - LA Times March 16, 2007 Tine Hahiyary, a principal of Obama's school (SDN 1 Menteng, Jakarta) while he was enrolled there, said she recalled he studied the Quran in Arabic. "I remember that he studied 'mengaji (recitation of the Quran)."- Kaltim Post In Indonesian and Malay society, I found the word mengaji means learning to recite the Quran rigorously in its native language, Arabic. Obamas campaign announcement, February 20, 2007, produced articles in Indonesian dailys, including the The Kaltim Post and Benjarmasin Post, regarding their belief of Obamas Muslim faith. In addition a March 6, 2007 article in The New York Times, Nicholas Kristof comments on Obamas ability to recite the Adhan, the Muslim call to prayer in Arabic. "There are elections in America now. Along came a black citizen of Kenyan African origins, a Muslim, who had studied in an Islamic school in Indonesia. His name is Obama," said Muammar Gadhafi at a rally marking the anniversary of the 1986 U.S. air strike on him in Libya. "All the people in the Arab and Islamic world and in Africa applauded this man," continued Gadhafi. "They welcomed him and prayed for him and for his success, and they may have even been involved in legitimate contribution campaigns to enable him to win the American presidency. "We are hoping that this black man will take pride in his African and Islamic identity, and in his faith, and that [he will know] that he has rights in America, and that he will change America from evil to good, and that America will establish relations that will serve it well with other peoples, especially the Arabs," - Muammar Gadhafi address aired on Al-Jazeera TV on June 11, 2008 (translation by the Middle East Media Research Institute, MEMRI,)

This too, from the same page ^
edit on 10-1-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes
They will claim something is "false", when it isn't, and use phrasing to try and excuse the claim. I have seen this time and time again.

Care to show examples of that...?

The Little Mermaid VHS case - I had a friend in Germany that owned the original case, with that explicit "artwork" on the cover. The "tower" that wasn't a tower. Saw it, and there is NO doubt that was intentional.

only in a yanks sick mind, which think nipples on tv are satan's work.

The Lion King "cloud" - Seen that one, paused it, and the word is clearly THERE. They claim it's not, and that it's only people imagining it.

Yes, SFX is there, again you see what certain websites tell you to see.

Same claim they make for the muttered phrase in Aladdin. Another incident from The Little Mermaid

That is just you seeing or hearing what you are told to see or hear by some website
edit on 10-1-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

HERE

Nothing there about snopes being wrong, just some people do not like the politics of the owners....

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

You obviously didn't read it, but what else would I expect from you...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

You obviously didn't read it, but what else would I expect....

I did - so care to show us exactly where snopes was shown to be wrong - link?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

A few months ago, when my State Farm agent Bud Gregg in Mandeville hoisted a political sign referencing Barack Obama and made a big splash across the internet, 'supposedly' the Mikkelson's claim to have researched this issue before posting their findings on snopes.com. In their statement they claimed the corporate office of State Farm pressured Gregg into taking down the sign, when in fact nothing of the sort 'ever' took place.

I personally contacted David Mikkelson (and he replied back to me) thinking he would want to get to the bottom of this and I gave him Bud Gregg's contact phone numbers - and Bud was going to give him phone numbers to the big exec's at State Farm in Illinois who would have been willing to speak with him about it. He never called Bud. In fact, I learned from Bud Gregg no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

You read very poorly then.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I learned from Bud Gregg no one from snopes.com ever contacted anyone with State Farm. Yet, snopes.com issued a statement as the 'final factual word' on the issue as if they did all their homework and got to the bottom of things - not!

That is just a claim from someone, which they got wrong
www.factcheck.org...

Mr. Gregg is an. independent contractor to State Fann@, and his views do not reflect those of State Fann Insurance Companies. Management requested the sign be removed as soon as its presence became known. It was taken down on July 3, 2008. Mr. Gregg's sign was not endorsed by, nor consistent with State Farm's corporate practices. The company does not endorse candidates, nor take sides in political campaigns.

So once again snopes are correct, you are wrong!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

So the person who this happened to is wrong; but some random unaffiliated website is right...

Gotcha...

Read their sources...80% of them were Snopes...Snopes validating snopes...

You are hysterical Guy.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Read their sources

And State Farm spokeswoman Molly Quirk-Kirby confirmed in a letter to us the same thing she had told Snopes.com earlier:

Oh dear, there is a State farm spokesman confirming snopes was right, and your claim was wrong.... again!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

compare.ebay.com...

That is a penis good sir...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Possibly fake? Wouldn't be the first time..

So all we have is a 'letter' with no verification other than hosting on Snopes and FactCheck...Both government mouthpieces.

Oh joy!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by laughingdog

As the OP, it seems I did post this in the right category.
Google, snopes got snoped.
edit on 10-1-2013 by laughingdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
So let me get this straight, some Ma and Pa using Google to debunk sensitive subjects can be taken as a factual source, but if I use Google to develop cures and treatments, I'm a quack?

Some logic you got there broski.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Obama ties to Islam Ref article page: www.snopes.com... Snopes reply claims there is no evidence Obama has ever been a Muslim radical or otherwise. Snopes also quoted Obamas Senatorial page and statements as if they were irrefutable evidence. A brief google and it seems to me there is evidence Obama did participate in Islam and Muslim studies and faith and did participate in prayer and attend Mosque.

In January 1968, Obama was registered as a Muslim at Jakarta's Roman Catholic Franciscus Assisi Primary School under the name Barry Soetoro. After attending the Assisi Primary School, Obama was enrolled, also as a Muslim, in the Besuki Primary School, a public school in Jakarta. In his autobiography, "Dreams From My Father," Obama mentions studying the Koran and describes the public school as "a Muslim school." - LA Times March 16, 2007 A close boyhood friend of Obama, Zulfin Adi, said Barack "was a Muslim. He went to the mosque." - LA Times March 16, 2007 Tine Hahiyary, a principal of Obama's school (SDN 1 Menteng, Jakarta) while he was enrolled there, said she recalled he studied the Quran in Arabic. "I remember that he studied 'mengaji (recitation of the Quran)."- Kaltim Post In Indonesian and Malay society, I found the word mengaji means learning to recite the Quran rigorously in its native language, Arabic.

Obamas campaign announcement, February 20, 2007, produced articles in Indonesian dailys, including the The Kaltim Post and Benjarmasin Post, regarding their belief of Obamas Muslim faith. In addition a March 6, 2007 article in The New York Times, Nicholas Kristof comments on Obamas ability to recite the Adhan, the Muslim call to prayer in Arabic. "There are elections in America now. Along came a black citizen of Kenyan African origins, a Muslim, who had studied in an Islamic school in Indonesia.

His name is Obama," said Muammar Gadhafi at a rally marking the anniversary of the 1986 U.S. air strike on him in Libya. "All the people in the Arab and Islamic world and in Africa applauded this man," continued Gadhafi. "They welcomed him and prayed for him and for his success, and they may have even been involved in legitimate contribution campaigns to enable him to win the American presidency. "We are hoping that this black man will take pride in his African and Islamic identity, and in his faith, and that [he will know] that he has rights in America, and that he will change America from evil to good, and that America will establish relations that will serve it well with other peoples, especially the Arabs," - Muammar Gadhafi address aired on Al-Jazeera TV on June 11, 2008 (translation by the Middle East Media Research Institute, MEMRI,)

Why did you skip over this?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

They will claim something is "false", when it isn't, and use phrasing to try and excuse the claim. I have seen this time and time again.

Care to show examples of that...?

The Little Mermaid VHS case - I had a friend in Germany that owned the original case, with that explicit "artwork" on the cover. The "tower" that wasn't a tower. Saw it, and there is NO doubt that was intentional.

only in a yanks sick mind, which think nipples on tv are satan's work.

No, on the actual cover. If you can't see it, then you are either totally unfamiliar with anatomy, or blind. As for your bigotry, it isn't worth responding to.

The Lion King "cloud" - Seen that one, paused it, and the word is clearly THERE. They claim it's not, and that it's only people imagining it.

Yes, SFX is there, again you see what certain websites tell you to see.

No, it says "SEX". IN English. I see what is there. I am not a sheep, willing to believe the lies of Snopes. Do you read English? Wait, you must.....then you see it, if you bother to look.

Same claim they make for the muttered phrase in Aladdin. Another incident from The Little Mermaid - the scene at the wedding ,with the priest. In the VHS (which we owned), you could pause, and go frame-by-frame through it, and clearly see what the priest had in his pants.

That is just you seeing or hearing what you are told to see or hear by some website

Next time, quote an entire sentence. No, this is me, again, seeing what is THERE. The priest has an erection. "Some website" didn't tell me that; I saw it on the tape, watching the movie with my daughter. Now, how about you address reality, and stop presuming to know what other people think and why they think it. What I stated has clear evidence. You can even SEE it on Snopes. If you choose to believe them, that is YOUR problem.

Oh, and don't call me a "yank". Where I come from, that would be a HUGE mistake, were you to do it in person.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

No, it says "SEX". IN English. I see what is there. I am not a sheep,

Yes you are, believing something you have been told

No, this is me, again, seeing what is THERE.

No, you see what you want to see, and were told to see. Just a sheep

Oh, and don't call me a "yank". Where I come from, that would be a HUGE mistake, were you to do it in person.

Just stating a fact. yank=American

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Bigotry much?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Yes you are, believing something you have been told

No, you see what you want to see, and were told to see. Just a sheep

Just stating a fact. yank=American

You sound like a parrot. Try not repeating the same nonsensical drivel, and post something that actually contributes to the thread. Or, don't post, maybe?

YOUR "fact", maybe. American, yes. Yank? Not even close. In this country, that means from up North. I'm a Southerner. In all seriousness, if you called some in the South by that term, you might find yourself in trouble. Keep that in mind if traveling here. Besides, would you want to be called a "limey", or some other bigoted term? Your comment attempted to classify every single person in this country the same way, with an label that insulted not only their birthplace, but their beliefs as well. If you expect ANY further responses, stuff the bigotry someplace, and learn to say something meaningful, instead of parroting yourself and a lying "urban legend" website.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I find it hilarious that people who aren't even American, or let alone live in our country, think they know more than the people who do. Or can quote random facts.....The only people who needs facts spoon-fed to them, are the ones incapable of thinking for themselves in the first place.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join