It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know why I don't like Snopes... Why doesn't ATS like Snopes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Howdy,
This post may be in the wrong category.
I came into contact with Snopes some time ago, and didn't have a opinion on it one way or the other, but as time went by I started to get a weird feeling about them, I guess its the "We know and you don't." attitude, I haven't spent the time to research their fact finding, and some of their subject matter is down right silly... also I am not sure if their politics are to my liking... basically I just don't trust this outfit.
As I read some of the post here on ATS, I get the feeling ATSrs don't like em either, I was not liking them before I heard the few rumors about them. Anyway, what say you, enlighten me.
edit on 5-1-2013 by laughingdog because: Goofy misspelled words!!!

edit on 5-1-2013 by laughingdog because: still more goofy stuff!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Sorry what is snopes?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Sorry what is snopes?
A website devoted to debunking, urban legends hearsay, myths and that sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I'm aware of a couple of sites ATS isn't exactly supportive of - but Snopes? I've never heard that one.
I'm in and out of there occasionally - but - as always I still check what info I get from multiple sources.
If that site is blackballed here it's the first I've heard of it.

peace

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
they tend to snarky liberalism
good site for basic research

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by laughingdog

I don't think ATS itself dislikes Snopes, more like, just a few ATS members, its what I read between the lines of the post(s), and therefore assumed it was the norm. I love the word "snarky"!
edit on 5-1-2013 by laughingdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I wonder who runs that site and if it is tied into the Gov?
Then again, i'm sure there are ATSers tied to the Gov too.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by laughingdog
A website devoted to debunking, urban legends hearsay, myths and that sort of thing.

aka - facts.

You know - those little things that send some people scurrying away like roaches

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Yes... because looking at facts and removing myths often causes a liberal slant.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by works4dhs

Yes... because looking at facts and removing myths often causes a liberal slant.
Fact: The liberal slant has this country sliding down the tubes, by the way, he did say "Snarky".

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
I wonder who runs that site and if it is tied into the Gov?
Then again, i'm sure there are ATSers tied to the Gov too.

What do you think of when you say "tied to"? I do lots o' contracts for 'em, sometimes direct, often second or third hand.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Originally posted by laughingdog

aka - facts.

You know - those little things that send some people scurrying away like roaches

Yeah, but...sometimes Snopes isn't 100% either. It's sort of like wikipedia - it can be a good place to start, but you have to verify it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Because they have been caught lying and distorting and taking things out of context. So they cannot be trusted...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Because they have been caught lying and distorting and taking things out of context. So they cannot be trusted...
Thats what I was looking for, the root of this original post, spot on.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

So you hate ATS? Because almost everything here is a lie, being distorted or being taken out of context. For anything on the web Snopes is way above average withh real information and sources.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by laughingdog

I can tell you why I don't like them.

One, they are very biased politically. They will claim something is "false", when it isn't, and use phrasing to try and excuse the claim. I have seen this time and time again. Some politician says something, or does something, and it gets out online. They get hold of it, and try to spin things so it looks like the person didn't "really" say or do what they did.

Two, they flat out LIE when it comes to anything that would reflect badly on Disney. I have SEEN things they claim are "false". Examples? The Little Mermaid VHS case - I had a friend in Germany that owned the original case, with that explicit "artwork" on the cover. The "tower" that wasn't a tower. Saw it, and there is NO doubt that was intentional. None. Snopes calls that a false story, claiming that the person was "contracted", and not a Disney employee, and totally ignoring the fact that they did do it on purpose, working for Disney. The Lion King "cloud" - Seen that one, paused it, and the word is clearly THERE. They claim it's not, and that it's only people imagining it. Same claim they make for the muttered phrase in Aladdin. Another incident from The Little Mermaid - the scene at the wedding ,with the priest. In the VHS (which we owned), you could pause, and go frame-by-frame through it, and clearly see what the priest had in his pants. Snopes claims that was "his knee". There is an old Bugs Bunny cartoon in there, where it seems pretty clear that Bugs was supposed to be exposed by a towel, and they act like there isn't anything there. If you write them, pointing out, with clear proof, that they are wrong, they act like you don't know anything, won't address the evidence, and basically blow off whatever you tell them.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I have to agree with the Disney stuff, I had the original VHS case with the peener tower on it. And it was really obvious.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I have to agree with the Disney stuff, I had the original VHS case with the peener tower on it. And it was really obvious.

I didn't have the case, but saw it. SO obvious, as was all the stuff in the films that people questioned as well! Snopes lies about it, though. Guessing they might get a nice payment for that.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have never verified it myself, but I read somewhere a couple of years ago that it is owned or somehow linked to George Soros, who is a Rothschild or rockefellar lap dog (sorry fighting flu, I'm not getting up to find my notebook) Convienient if true, tptb running their own "truth" site.
Just my opinion, and again I have not ever confirmed it either.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

I've seen this claim, and to be honest, I wouldn't doubt it...That site reads like a government mouthpiece used to brainwash the few that are half-awake, into going back to sleep.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join