It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any possibility of having a top 50 members for different categories?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
I think it will just lead to more egoism and the "hey everyone who is friends with me star and flag my threads!" crap we have now.

Ohhhhh snap! Somebody had to say it. I click the non-existing "like" tab, since I can't give you a gold star. Uh, I mean blue.

Along with the posting of dozens of crap threads hoping one will take off because they loves them some stars!

Ohhhhhhhh SNAPPA-DEE-DO-DAH!! lmao.....you left out the virtual ATS flags, which really fail to serve the purpose for which they were/are intended, IMO.
Since human beings use this site, any scale of measurement used, regardless of original intent and purpose, is, and always will be, entirely subjective to each individual participant.
That is why the ATS Home page is littered with inane, wag-the-dog redundancy. Those who have been on here long enough, know that many of the threads that are true to the original scope and purpose of ATS, get lost in the flurry of "mob" threads posted from the headlines of Yahoo, MSN, AOL or the equivalent.

Seasoned members know to dig for the gold. But the immediate gratification and split-second attention mentality which so pervades society as a whole nowadays, currently prevails on the internet. Therefore any system of recognition would have to take that into consideration while designing something to incorporate that majority mentality, while simultaneously neutering it as much as realistically possible.

"Now, I think maybe applauses could become more visible and more frequently given for quality contributions to threads or thread creations.

Applause system is utterly limited to mods, and as such, only those of whom pay attention to and regularly participate in such. Even so, that participation is still a quarry of the human nature of subjectivity.
edit on 6-1-2013 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You know my kids can't play tag in school...it's too aggressive..

They don't get real grades until grade 6..before that it is all "average" even when my one son was reading the full Harry Potter series in first grade he was "average" and aligned with first grade level reading needs.

Kids don't see scores in sports until like 10 years old....don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...

We can't have top five or ten posters on ATS it might lower someone's self esteem...

God! Am I the only one who hates that crap?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItDepends
If bkapple or anyone else happens to be in a thread and finds a particular poster as interesting/like minded/alternative/provocative views, etc. that we like, YOU can make that person a 'friend' and when you log on, you can simply go to your profile then click on that friend(s) and see where/what they have recently posted to.

The current ATS friend feature is gay. The only redeeming thing that could be tweaked with that myspace inspired feature is to make it to where you can only be chosen as a 'friend'.
Meaning, when you choose someone as a 'friend', your user name only shows on their profile, but their name doesn't show on yours.
Therefore, the only 'friends' that would show on your own profile, are the people who were impressed enough with what you had to say or what you contributed, to take the time and effort to choose you as a 'friend'. That way, people don't just go around whore-clicking friends so they can have a big long list of people on their profile page.

Then a more fitting 'subscribe' feature could be incorporated for those ATS members in which you were interested in following for their postings or threads.
And everyone would totally want to follow my posts because they're brilliant and hysterical.
Just sayin'.
edit on 6-1-2013 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

Originally posted by ItDepends
If bkapple or anyone else happens to be in a thread and finds a particular poster as interesting/like minded/alternative/provocative views, etc. that we like, YOU can make that person a 'friend' and when you log on, you can simply go to your profile then click on that friend(s) and see where/what they have recently posted to.

Therefore, the only 'friends' that would show on your own profile, are the people who were impressed enough with what you had to say or what you contributed, to take the time and effort to choose you as a 'friend'.

Thanks stupid girl, no offense intended. However, for some reason, i am able to make people friends in my profile, and they are there for me to see and click on, and as far as I know, the other party has had to do nothing. I understand your point about 'troll-whoring' and I truly hope that is not happening on any significant level, but a valid concern. But my initial observation of just adding friends you are like-minded with, would seem to work to find threads/topics of interest until another solution is available. Also, as I stated, I am not a programmer by trade, so, I don't know all the bells and whistles. Thanks ID

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Soo, you did pique my curiosity, wanted test my suggestion. Made you a friend as a test......and.....
just a snatch- it pic, (didn't want to show more) but it shows that it can be done, for the right intentions. Wasn't doing this to prove you wrong, more of trying to make sure I knew what I was doing was able to be accomplished.
Regards, DI

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
I disagree with some of the replies in this thread and I don't think many of you are coming close to the proposed idea at all.

It doesn't read like an ego push. If anything, It just sounds like he'd like to see some recognition given for those who often contribute to specific forums (For example how TrueAmerican, JustMike or Loam have done in the Fragile earth forum, or Armap, Phage, and IssacKoi have for Aliens and UFO's), those who routinely help out and are sought after for an opinion and so on.

It reads, to me at least, like nothing but an expansion of the FSME position (this being member chosen) we already have in place here on ATS.
edit on 5-1-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

It's simple.

What's always after the equal sign, it seems, is that top contributor means quantity and not quality of post. Mark and Bill have said countless times in many threads that there will be no measurement or accolade given such that those less able to be here routinely would feel ostracized, especially if the little time they could spend added more value than someone who posted a million times a day with questionable content.

So given that, ATS becomes (once again) rife with those cliques who go for the glory of their "friends" such that they become top dog, without truly adding any value at all. With that in mind, what is the point? We all, already know where the value lies here and in what members hold valuable input and those that don't.

It's not broke, don't fix it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I dont think I was making it seem it would be based on post count at all.I would think it would be based on stars and flags specific forum based.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd LOVE to hear from big S.O on this topic!!

Edit: Mods can you pretty please remove the multiple posts below me by myself? My Internet is very poor currently and I may have impatiently hit refresh a few times...
Sorry

edit on 7-1-2013 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

link   
Double post

link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

edit on 7-1-2013 by Pressthebutton because: Quadruple post

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

Yes you pressed the button quite a few times lol... Lost reference?

I think so doesn't care for this or he would have chimed in by now I'd assume

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join