It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any possibility of having a top 50 members for different categories?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I disagree with some of the replies in this thread and I don't think many of you are coming close to the proposed idea at all.

It doesn't read like an ego push. If anything, It just sounds like he'd like to see some recognition given for those who often contribute to specific forums (For example how TrueAmerican, JustMike or Loam have done in the Fragile earth forum, or Armap, Phage, and IssacKoi have for Aliens and UFO's), those who routinely help out and are sought after for an opinion and so on.

It reads, to me at least, like nothing but an expansion of the FSME position (this being member chosen) we already have in place here on ATS.
edit on 5-1-2013 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you're gonna do something like that, instead of feeding egos, how 'bout keeping them in check?

Besides, if we're gonna play favorites, we might as well go all-out high school style.

Best Avatar-Graphic
Best Avatar-Photo
Funniest Avatar-Graphic
Funniest Avatar-Photo
Best Grammar
Worst Grammar
Most Informative
Most Accurate
Most Helpful
Best Storyteller (Writer)
Best Debater (Fighter)
Best Scholar (Research)
Best Mediator
Best Debunker
Biggest Troll
Most Grumpy
Most Cheerful
Most Humorous
Most Friendly
Biggest Smartass
Biggest Clown
Best User Name
Oddest User Name
Most Recognizable
Most Likely to Be Logged On
Most Likely to Be Working On a Thread
Most Likely to Be Drinking a Beer
Most Likely to Be Looking For UFOs (Aliens & UFO Forum)
Most Likely to Be Hunting For Ghosts (Paranormal Studies)
Most Likely to Be Campaigning (Political News/Issues)
Most Likely to Be Hunting For Chupacabrasquatch (Cryptozoology)
Most Likely to Be Scouring the Headlines (Breaking News/Current Events)
Most Likely to Be Meditating On The Astral Plane (Philosophy & Metaphysics)
Most Likely to Be At Their Place Of Worship (Religion, Faith & Theology)
Most Likely to Be Arguing With God (Religious Conspiracy)
Most Likely to Be Arguing With Darwin (Origins/Creationism/Evolution)
Most Likely to Be Prepared (Weaponry/Survival)
Most Likely to Be Shouting At A Wall (Rant)
Most Likely to Be Monitoring The NWO (Secret Societies/NWO)
Most Likely to Be Monitoring USGS or Picking Up Dead Birds & Fish (Fragile Earth)
Most Likely to Be Examining 9/11 Videos (9/11)
Most Likely to Be On An Archeological Dig (Ancient & Lost Civilizations)
Most Likely to Be Looking In Their Crystal Ball (Dreams & Predictions)
Favorite Moderator
Favorite Super-Moderator
Favorite Amigo-Outta-The-Three

Just to suggest a few...and any others you can think of, of course.

I think this format would better encourage the participation of many more ATS members, while also acknowledging a broader scope of those regularly participating on ATS, whether that participation is admirable, or needs a little work

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I don't believe the examples you mentioned seek recognition and in fact some would find it really uncomfortable. Anyone who frequents a particular forum soon figures out who are the prime contributors. I fail to see how public accolades would improve anything.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
I disagree with some of the replies in this thread and I don't think many of you are coming close to the proposed idea at all.

It doesn't read like an ego push. If anything, It just sounds like he'd like to see some recognition given for those who often contribute to specific forums (For example how TrueAmerican, JustMike or Loam have done in the Fragile earth forum, or Armap, Phage, and IssacKoi have for Aliens and UFO's), those who routinely help out and are sought after for an opinion and so on.

It reads, to me at least, like nothing but an expansion of the FSME position (this being member chosen) we already have in place here on ATS.

I agree.
Those that regularly participate on ATS are what keep people coming back here in the first place. ATS is user-generated, and no matter how popular it gets, it's the "nobodies" that take their own personal time & effort and invest it here.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
My concern is what constitutes a top contribution? Some of us only post occasionally when we feel that there is something really worth posting. It may be that is all we have time in our busy lives for. I wouldn't want to see people discouraged from that just because there is an unfair advantage. If this system is based on volume of posting or even volume of stars and flags then it will promote poor content. Every day I could start a thread that is little more than a link to a short, entertaining YouTube video that is somebody elses content and acquire tons of stars and flags. Or better yet , I can post, "I'm an alien, ask me anything!!!!!!!!" every day and get 40 pages of replies. The point is that some people love prizes and recognition and won't stay within the intended concept to achieve their goals.

I understand your intent OP, but it just has to be done very carefully.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I agree and then again don't know what to tell ya. I assume ats would Posh quality every time. However they put it in the hands of us. And I agree with that system. And this is based off their system.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

While funny, I think you know that's not what I'm going for here... I'm going for an extension of the system already in place.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by bknapple32

No poster shall be held up higher than any other.

Let the merit of each post stand on its own, and represent each user on an individual basis. Why push for grades? Read each post and decide for yourself what is deemed worthy or fluff.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Reply to post by bknapple32

No poster shall be held up higher than any other.

Let the merit of each post stand on its own, and represent each user on an individual basis. Why push for grades? Read each post and decide for yourself what is deemed worthy or fluff.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Then we're on two different Web sites. We already have a top 50 and a top 100 for the very reasons I've mentioned. All I'm saying is what about categorizing them to recognize those who are topic specific and might not post in the all around volume of a slayer69 or phage. And a top 25 new member, I see nothing wrong with that. Every post has merit. Still does, nothing in that regard will change. Choose like you do now.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Would love to know from so or springer how they feel and or if it's even plausible.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I am waiting patiently for the site to change its look......

Other then that, If its not broke don't fix it.

Just MHO........

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
I'm not following.... Why would anyone have a problem with it? Unless they themselves would be the jealous ones... I certainly would love to see who the top new members are and who the top posters on each forum are. Id be on the look out for their posts.

Truthfully, I don't care who the top posters on the site are, anyone can provide good information or even responses. Even if you were keen to keep track of certain posters who you feel are worthy of reliable information, why don't you just add them to your friends list? We don't need little medals and badges like we are playing Black ops or something...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

This would help those to find members that aren't known because maybe they only post in certain topic specific forums. I guess all I can say is it's only a competition if you yourself view it as one. I don't.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Category suggestion:

Members who aren't better than Kryties but come awfully close and therefore deserve a mention.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Best monkey

Best poster born in 74

edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Sounds like free license to the buddy system. MANY great threads without ANY recognition have been passed up because of the S@F system. Sometimes it seems as if there are 'packs' running about as it is. This reminds me of the banner system we once had, it caused more problems imo than what the original intent meant for it to be.

I admit, sometimes on short timelimits I check with the main page and go for the hot topics in real time, the ones that are garnering the most attention rather than by the authors of the threads, I know for a fact it limits my total experience and I end up missing some true gems.

I will still come back home to read and post no matter what is decided here.

Leave things as they are for now, my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think it would do exactly what the star and flag system has done. Look at all the junk threads and posts made for the stars. Also, think about the people who've been banned because they thought they could do whatever they want because of all the stars and flags they were getting, and therefore generating tons of content for ATS....I can think of a few off the top of my head. Do we really want to further influence people to that thinking?

As well, we had a similar system to what you are suggesting. Either people didn't care, or they hated it.....it was pretty polarized. Personally, I didn't care. Who gives a hoot how many threads you post or stars and flags you get? It's the content itself I care about, not if you've posted 403 threads to A&UFO in the last year.

It's a nice idea in theory, and I understand where you're coming from, but I think it will just lead to more egoism and the "hey everyone who is friends with me star and flag my threads!" crap we have now. Along with the posting of dozens of crap threads hoping one will take off because they loves them some stars!

Now, I think maybe applauses could become more visible and more frequently given for quality contributions to threads or thread creations. That I could get behind.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
So you want more food for the ego? I think we have enough of that, like the star & flag system..

Not sure how its an ego thing. It would be a tool to recognize topic specific posters who don't necessarily live on ats or new posters who contribute instantly to ats with quality.

Why would that matter, just judge the content as you come across it..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

it allows me and others to read some other threads we may not have known about.

Some examples:
Top 50 Aliens and UFO Forum posters
Top 50 Gen Conspiracy forum posters
Top 50 of the month
Top 50 of the year
Top 50 new members (Maximum 1 year posting history)
Thoughts?

Hey bknapple! I think your idea has merit or at least some alternative twist to it. Upon reading the comments thusfar, I would tend to agree with limiting to say, the top 5 contributors in a specific category/thread. So, kudos to you for thinking outside the box.

Originally posted by Rising Against

I agree Rising Against, I didn't see it as an ego thing, or necessarily a recognition thing. I thought it would highlight for the regular ATS'er those topics/threads with the top contributors. However, I do see a potential flaw in accomplishing this, and that is, as we all know, many threads have pissing contests between posters adding to the number of posts in any given thread. Many of these posts add nothing to the thread, but add to 'one' posters number of replies. ( I do not have a programming background, so I cannot add to the 'how'?, but would support a 'something new' concept.) I am of the belief that just because 'something is not broken' doesn't mean we cannot improve it. I believe that was the general merit of this thread post.

With that said, one idea in the meantime is: If bkapple or anyone else happens to be in a thread and finds a particular poster as interesting/like minded/alternative/provocative views, etc. that we like, YOU can make that person a 'friend' and when you log on, you can simply go to your profile then click on that friend(s) and see where/what they have recently posted to. (Just a suggestion) I know that doesn't answer/solve the orginal question, but in the meantime something to consider.

Lastly, to Rising Against, how does one get someone in the ATS organization to 'look-at' this suggestion? Is that you? Within this thread as the Mod, will you bring this concept forward? I am only asking to understand how requests and determinations are made.

Best regards,
ID

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Think this would be a good idea give people more incentive to post better quality posts rather than troll posts.

But there could be a down side of over competitiveness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join