Any possibility of having a top 50 members for different categories?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Perhaps like top 50 for each major board? Or a top 50 new members board so I can follow some lesser known members that my be really GREAT contributors to ATS.

I know the top 50 of all time was a great addition to ATS and searching out all the little diamonds in the rough. So my thinking is with alternative top 50 categories it allows me and others to read some other threads we may not have known about.

Some examples:
Top 50 Aliens and UFO Forum posters
Top 50 Gen Conspiracy forum posters
Top 50 of the month
Top 50 of the year
Top 50 new members (Maximum 1 year posting history)

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

You know what, I have no idea what the response from the site admins will be, but I personally like this idea a lot!
It generally seems like all the political stuff rises to the top.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by bknapple32

You know what, I have no idea what the response from the site admins will be, but I personally like this idea a lot!
It generally seems like all the political stuff rises to the top.

Thanks I'm glad you like it. I think it would add more fun and investment to the site. And gives our newer members a chance to shine. Plus it gives members who have taken long breaks a chance to shine as well. I hope site admin take a look and it strikes their fancy.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
And to add to that maybe some kind of badge or border on a post to let other members know you're a serious contributor to ats, no matter the topic. I've seen all kinds of top class posters in ats called shills or trolls and that might help. I dunno... Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I'll throw my hat into the good looks category.

Seriously though, interesting idea. Hopefully, no one gets their feelings hurt when they find out they're not an expert at whatever subject they might consider themselves to be a reliable source.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
I'll throw my hat into the good looks category.

Seriously though, interesting idea. Hopefully, no one gets their feelings hurt when they find out they're not an expert at whatever subject they might consider themselves to be a reliable source.

I see what you're saying. But I'm looking at it more of a way to recognize consistent contributors, not so much experts to different boards.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I'm not so keen on the idea of a top 50, but I do like the idea of a top 5 for each forum. I think that would be a great addition and would really promote good content here. After all to be in the top 5, you have to work for it and really put some effort into posting. A top 50 seems like too high a number to me personally.

Whether this is something that could be easily coded however, I don't know, I doubt it if anything, but I do love the idea itself. I think it would be a great addition.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Top 50 might be too much yea. But top 10 has a, nice ring to it. Coding I'm not sure. I would think it could be hard to code points stars flags and posts specific to a board. But I'm sure it could be done. And would really give ats a nice new and big twist to promoting subject specific content. And won't take years to overcome members that have been here 2008 and prior.. Ra, like a top 50 overall for new members?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I like this, but I agree with RA. 50 is a bit much.

I say yea but limit it to 5 or so.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

I don't care top 5 or 25. Anything is fine. I would think each forum would deserve one though. From general to area 51. As for coding, I think the easiest to accomplish would be a top 25 monthly or new member.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
If it aint broke? Dont' fix it.
Up YOUR limits.
Don't ask ATS to lower theirs for you.
Lowering the requisites only invites mediocrity.
ATS has enough problems with that already.

peace
edit on 5-1-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
So you want more food for the ego? I think we have enough of that, like the star & flag system..

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
If it aint broke? Dont' fix it.
Up YOUR limits.
Don't ask ATS to lower theirs for you.
Lowering the requisites only invites mediocrity.
ATS has enough problems with that already.

peace
edit on 5-1-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

I'm not exactly sure how I'm lowering anything. I'm throwing out an idea to point out quality that sometimes is hard to find or gets lost. And with all due respect, if ats just did the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality , it would never have become the great place it is today.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jauk3
So you want more food for the ego? I think we have enough of that, like the star & flag system..

Not sure how its an ego thing. It would be a tool to recognize topic specific posters who don't necessarily live on ats or new posters who contribute instantly to ats with quality.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Thoughts?

i thought getting the truth out to the world is all that matters.

ATS points and fame are not going to save people when the world hits the valley floor now that it has fallen off the cliff.

Points leads to fame which might lead to pride.

ATS threads might resemble the gutter press where the 'sound biting' title resembles a eye-catcher front page tabloid.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You have that already.

Not to mention that the older members are the only ones to remain from the many that was the heard over the years, and so kind of are wearing badges of honor.

Seniority is a sort of badge of honor.

If you are banned you dont get to wear one.

We really have no idea just how many people are banned on ATS over the course of 1 year.

The older your date of registration, the more you have proven how awesome you are.....

edit on 5-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

And I believe this helps get the truth out. It helps members know they are reading a post by someone who isn't a troll, isn't out to derail because they agree or disagree with a certain point of view, and have added valuable contributions in the past so maybe if you're skimming you should stop and read what they have to say.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Mine is bigger than yours, isn't that the sort of thing that ultimately leads to conspiracies?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm not following.... Why would anyone have a problem with it? Unless they themselves would be the jealous ones... I certainly would love to see who the top new members are and who the top posters on each forum are. Id be on the look out for their posts.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Number of posts or quality of posts? It would have to go on stars and flags.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join