It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heart and Honor.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You know, us American’s have all this pride with the wars we’ve fought, Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq and so many others, but there is one conflict which really stands out. It wasn’t even a US conflict, but one of honor beyond telling. Heart and honor is part of any warrior, but this particular conflict was in a very different place, much harder, much further away.

I am a proud American, but my heart will always go out to those who fought in the Falkland’s. Honor was at stake, the Crown was at stake…and men came to fight for the honor of a Crown and a nation so many thousands of miles away. Lives were lost, and in the end, there was no true victor other than that of heart and soul.

On the television, hundreds of millions of people watched a conflict which no one wanted to go fight, and many didn’t even care about. Every night on the television you would see giant waves of the Southern Ocean whipping up over the ships and troop carriers. The ships and the Excocet missiles, the mud and the cold. Honestly, my heart goes out to those men.

Truth be known, I was always rooting for a devastating victory by the Brits in those days. I was in college then. I hoped that one day I would turn on the TV and see people running around with white flags, but I didn’t. I remember turning on the TV one day and seeing the media coverage of the HMS Sheffield, listing and on fire…support ships en-route. I felt rage…it’s all I remember.

So many people identify with the Mark Knopfler song, “Brother’s in Arms”, but truly it has a special meaning for those who went to the Falklands…a place so far away.

*nod*

Note: if anyone would like to assist and post the song, it would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread, Once again the Falklands and it's people are in the news because of the Argentinian president spouting BS.
225 brave people died defending a people many did not know even existed and many many more will fight again to make sure the people of the Falklands have their right of self-determination and the people of the Falklands want to remain British just as their ancestors did.
My Uncle Mark fought there and while he never talks about it he told me he would do it again.
I do feel sorry for the Argentinians who fought also because they were lead to believe they were helping the people of the Falklands and they were shocked when they got there realising they were not wanted.

try that one.

The Falklands war is ingrained into the British psyche and we will always help those 3000 people who have made a life out there.
edit on 4-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: bloody dyslexia

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Sorry, that video is apparently not available in "my country" per the notice.

Do you have another?

edit...perhaps this one?

Yay! maybe I got it right for once!!

edit on 1/4/2013 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Want to see a real hero? check out Simon Weston.

edit on 4-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join