It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Rebuild the Coast "Once Again", and next season we will act surprised too.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Make-Believe-Land: OMG, can you believe the devastation from Sandy? How could this happen? Oh my?

Real Life: Why would you continue to build entire settlements on the edge of a coast where hurricanes happen? Hmm why is insurance so much? Because people build houses: 10 ft from the ocean, on/near volcanoes, directly above major major fault lines, where rivers swell, and where snow terrorizes. Who do the savings get passed along to? Us the people who live inland and away from "VERY INEVITABLE "DEVASTATION".

Face it this year another hurricane will take out a huge chunk of the coast, known earthquake fault lines will shake, and snow will more than likely fall in large amounts felting into water flooding rivers and streams. Not that we can move away from all floods, but to keep rebuilding the coast time after time helping these people with their insurance claims has got to go. Also, when we act surprised we are all faking it.

That's what grinds my gears this week!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yes, I have had a bad day. I couldn't stand to see another video about the devastation of Sandy. I mean really how much money is spent each year on rebuilding the beach for individuals instead of for geological reasons? Nope the funding goes elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
you make a good point still.. you want to build in a dangerous place go for it, when shtf ur on your own you knew the risks.. no one forces you to live there or build there, I live in an area where the dont have those issues for the reason of not wanting to deal with hurricaines its one of the reasons i left the NC coast where i grew up we lost our house 2 times and I wasnt going to put all my life into a house of my own to lose it so I moved.. simple I understand the risk and didn't want to take it...

If they purchased insurance it should cover things if not then sorry thats how life works get over it and move on either rebuild it or let it fall to ruin but it will be on your dime not mine.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Beautiful to live there, for sure, but you are right.

I feel bad for those whom have lost their homes, no doubt about it. But the evidence should becoming more and more clear to the American people. We cannot depend on our government anymore to help us!!!!

They don't care, and if they did, they would be bringing the fires of hell down upon the insurance companys who are screwing these people over......

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

The government isnt put in place to give us money to replace out homes when the insurance company doesn't come through. The fact that everything things the gov is there to save them is the problem, they should step in to make sure people who have insurance get proper payments sure especially if the insurance company isn't doing its job you paid them to do, and of course they will, take them to court and win you will get your payout, it sucks but thats how it works. Don't like it? well change it then.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Yes, I have had a bad day

I am quite sure it could be much worse....right?

On topic, I don't believe there are very many places on this Earth that are free of natural disasters of some form. Unfortunately, a lot of places are inhabited and will be re-inhabited if devastated by a natural disaster and some just happen to be areas that are more prone to certain natural disasters. There are a multitude of reasons depending on the area in question.

In this case, it is easier to rebuild the coast as opposed to uprooting the Eastern Seaboard and moving it to...where...that wouldn't possibly be prone to some form of a natural disaster?

I don't think anyone or anywhere is totally natural disaster proof. We rely on the odds, as we as a species have and most likely will for sometime to come.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

The government isnt put in place to give us money to replace out homes when the insurance company doesn't come through. The fact that everything things the gov is there to save them is the problem, they should step in to make sure people who have insurance get proper payments sure especially if the insurance company isn't doing its job you paid them to do, and of course they will, take them to court and win you will get your payout, it sucks but thats how it works. Don't like it? well change it then.

Isn't that basically what I said?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
reply to post by seeker1963

No the Government, which does not EARN money is there to take the money from hard working people and send it to other countries by the billions and leave the people that EARNED it to their own devices...less their $$ to work with!

You may be surprised to learn that most countries outside of Western Europe, Canada and Australia get foreign aid from the U.S. This year the requested amount for Russia was $68.7 million. For China, it’s $12.9 million. A whopping $647.7 million has been allocated for Nigeria. Even $20 million is set aside for communist Cuba. Again, these figures are the requested

Take a look at some of the numbers!
www.forbes.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I see the problem a little differently.

When we rebuild, we rebuild the same crap houses made basically of sticks and chalk! Of course the next display of raw power by Mother Nature will knock them down.

This is the 21st Century. We have the technology to build houses to withstand most of what Mother can throw at us. The Houses we build will not withstand a lateral force against the walls. A bit of water through and all the wall boards fall back to their original chalk state.

So we bulldoze the mess, send it to landfill and start over with the same silly construction.

Why not concrete lift panel walls with a good concrete roof. Sure a flood may damage our goods inside the house, but the house would still be standing.

Same applies to Tornado areas. Build with Earth-berm technology, it works!

The problem is one of sucking us in. You are told that you can't afford to build in newer technologies. So instead you build crap over and over and over again.

Sucked in, time and time and time again.

P

edit on 4/1/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I left the southern east coast about a decade ago,partly because of an evacuation nightmare due to a do nothing hurricane that put my 1 year old daughter at risk at the time.
Went to the hills in Kentucky.

I would love to move back,but I feel it won't be there in the future.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
people have to live somewhere and there is no place safe from natural disasters.people in tornado ally get their houses blown down every year and yet they rebuild them in the same place knowing that they will get blown down again. earthquakes on the west coast, hurricanes on the east coast, flooding in the south,blizzards and snow storms in the north, there is no escaping mother nature.

The sensible thing to do would be to build your house to withstand the enviroment that the house is in.
Homes aren`t built to last like they used to be because everyone is trying to save a buck in the construction of homes.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

When we rebuild, we rebuild the same crap houses made basically of sticks and chalk! Of course the next display of raw power by Mother Nature will knock them down.

My sister's house was completely hurricane proof - It burned to the ground! Mine was not and it's destroyed, but still standing. She's not getting any of your tax dollars. I am not either because I have insurance but the payout is woefully inadequate for the damage.

Getting insurance companies to pay for the damages is what the government should be doing - not paying money to stupid people who didn't bother to have insurance. If you want to build on the coast yes you take a risk and should be prepared, but if you pay thousands of dollars to insure your investment - then the insurance companies should be made to pay.

I have to stay where I am because I can't afford to move - I'm not selfish or stupid - just stuck!

And to the OP - the coast of NY/NJ has not had this much damage from a hurricane since the 1930s (even that did not come close to the present destruction). This is not Florida or the Gulf Coast.

I'm a little sick of people who think we deserved what we got! It's not over and very, very many people are homeless and really suffering and need help way more than Cuba and Egypt need our tax dollars.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

My sister's house was completely hurricane proof - It burned to the ground! Mine was not and it's destroyed, but still standing. She's not getting any of your tax dollars. I am not either because I have insurance but the payout is woefully inadequate for the damage.

Getting insurance companies to pay for the damages is what the government should be doing - not paying money to stupid people who didn't bother to have insurance. If you want to build on the coast yes you take a risk and should be prepared, but if you pay thousands of dollars to insure your investment - then the insurance companies should be made to pay.

I have to stay where I am because I can't afford to move - I'm not selfish or stupid - just stuck!

And to the OP - the coast of NY/NJ has not had this much damage from a hurricane since the 1930s (even that did not come close to the present destruction). This is not Florida or the Gulf Coast.

I'm a little sick of people who think we deserved what we got! It's not over and very, very many people are homeless and really suffering and need help way more than Cuba and Egypt need our tax dollars.

In the 2010 floods in SA i lost everything. I have some idea of what people are going through. I feel for them very much.

If your sister's house had been concrete it would not have burned down. I am just saying if you have to build in a hazardous area, then you build better houses. It is a false economy to do otherwise.

It took me two years to get back on my feet properly, hang in there. I know what trapped feels like, it is not a nice place to be.

Best of luck.

P

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Thanks. What I have learned through this experience is that people who have not been in this situation have no idea how something like this turns real lives upside down. Obviously you do so my apologies for snipping at your post.

It's just frustrating that the individual stories are not being told in the media. And then people are like "well you chose to live on the coast so deal with it!" Like the family of six living in a one bedroom apartment because their home was destroyed and the wife has cancer!

I should not have replied to this thread, but its so disheartening. These are regular, hardworking people, not elitists, not sloths.

Rant in response to rant....ok I'm done now.

p.s. Are you a salesman for concrete built homes? LOL

edit on 4-1-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

It doesn't matter if you lived through it, that is part of the point-it doesn't surprise us when it happens-we know you are all going to lose your houses, and our insurance companies will rebuild it. Then they pass the bill to us (okay they spread it out). So move already-just a few miles back is all.

AND JESUS who ever above said "I don't think you can run away from natural disasters-no kidding. Why live within a mile of the ocean front, or directly on top of a fault line>

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

Thanks. What I have learned through this experience is that people who have not been in this situation have no idea how something like this turns real lives upside down. Obviously you do so my apologies for snipping at your post.

It's just frustrating that the individual stories are not being told in the media. And then people are like "well you chose to live on the coast so deal with it!" Like the family of six living in a one bedroom apartment because their home was destroyed and the wife has cancer!

I should not have replied to this thread, but its so disheartening. These are regular, hardworking people, not elitists, not sloths.

Rant in response to rant....ok I'm done now.

p.s. Are you a salesman for concrete built homes? LOL

edit on 4-1-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

LOL no I am not. But consider. The walls / roof are delivered from a factory ready to go. They get tied in to a concrete slab. They go together like very heavy Lego. The roof is tied to the walls. Earth-berm a few walls and Mother Nature can throw what she wants at you. Sure you may have to repaint, may take a few weeks to dry out etc etc, but your home is still a roof over your head.

In fact a good handy person can make it livable in a very short time. It just does not make sense to build as we have been. The construction method of most houses dates back a couple of hundred years.

I would rather you had to clean up the mess, get new furniture etc rather than the intense delay you will have. Let alone the problems of not having enough trades people to meet the incredible new demand. Since this is the US, many of those tradies will jack their prices up sky high to make insane profits at the expense of the victims.

Where is Karma when you need it!

P:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I'm curious how many times there will have to be a weather-related disaster at a certain location (like NYC or NJ, for instance) before it will be decided that it's not a good idea to build there anymore, and just more sensible to relocate the people.

I keep wondering where the new people to drown in Bangladesh come from every year like clockwork, too.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join