It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash Memory Used for Operating Systems

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I was thinking about this one night (dark and stormy of course
) that we could create a way to start up computers really fast, without really expensive products. So, here's what I came up with:

We could factory install large 2 GB flash memory modules, and load the operating system into that, but of course still have the ability to overwrite it with new OS's. That way, the computer could start up, and run very fast, because of the free RAM space for other applications.

Isn't that just a million-dollar idea?! It works theoretically, but is there something I'm missing that could go wrong, or is incompatable? Post back with your idea's, thoughts, comment, or burns.

[edit on 10/26/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Would the point of that be, so your pc turns on as quick as your tv?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well, basically yes, but also other applications will run faster with the OS out of their way. Not to mention the fact that the first company to try that, saying their computer starts up in less than 2 seconds, will get unimaginably rich.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
ok lets make that a reality you can make all the stuff and ill advertise it and make sure you get copyrights 1st just incase some other company tries and make millions off of smart people

i would like my computer to run faster

the only thing good about my computer is lots of ram and gf6800ultra =) and a shiny light

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ill advertising? A computer like that would actually start up in under 2 seconds, not just some partial-truth phrase that makes people buy it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
Ill advertising? A computer like that would actually start up in under 2 seconds, not just some partial-truth phrase that makes people buy it.

ill advertising? ?

i wasnt saying that it wont

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to misinterpret anything, no hard feelings.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Being worked on now-very expensive and many issues that are not realized at first.
When it is perfected, you will know about it. It will be expensive at first, but will slowly become the new standard.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Who is it being worked on by, and could you explain some of the issues for us?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
its cool diehard

how big would a 2 gig flash memory be? the size of two ddr rams?

[edit on 26-10-2004 by CookieMonster000]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Dunno, I don't think they make 2 gig modules. But here's a pic of a 1 gig for reference:

BTW, guys, did my avatar freeze? It's not moving in my window, so I think I have to fix it (again...)

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
hmm it shouldnt be too big

i think its a great idea that we dont have to waste our extra ram on our operating systems

Odd

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
In the near future we'll probably be able to get 2GBs onto a flash memory stick about that size... we may already have them in prototype form, in fact.

I like this idea, diehard. It would speed up system startup ridiculously, and would remove the myriad OS processes from normal system memory.

Additionally, OSs could (although maybe not would) be made far cheaper, and things like Linux would be a lot easier to install. It'd be like having a boot disk with the entire OS on it, without having to install one on your system.

EDIT: didn't see the reference pic

[edit on 10/26/2004 by Odd]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Dunno, I don't think they make 2 gig modules.

I've seen places where they're selling 4 gig cards so I'm assuming that they are also selling 2 gigs aswell.

BTW, guys, did my avatar freeze? It's not moving in my window, so I think I have to fix it (again...)

yes, your avatar is frozen, at least on my computer

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sorry there DieHard, but your not the first one to think of flash mem on start-up.

Heres some in development or in current use.
SDRAM
DDR
MRAM
DRAM
Flash
FRAM
QDR
SRAM
The list is goes on and on, at this point no one knows which one will be "the next big thing" and take DRR off of its current crown.

I'd put my money on MRAM, it seems to be the current leader (what cant magnets do), it should be common place on pc's in about 5 years, you will continue to hear more about through out the years though, its tech will first find its way into phones and PDA's, but after that it will be available for PC's.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Odd:

That's a great idea! They could sell OS's on 2 gig flash memory modules, instead of CD's! But since Mac 10.2.8 is like 4.02 gigs total (at least on my system) they'd obviously need more.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Odd:

That's a great idea! They could sell OS's on 2 gig flash memory modules, instead of CD's! But since Mac 10.2.8 is like 4.02 gigs total (at least on my system) they'd obviously need more.

hell, if you're gonna sell o/s's like that might as well sell everything else like it too

Odd

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
hmm... usb-based flash memory game modules that you don't have to install to play?

I'd buy it

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wow, I'm starting to think that this should be on the really above top secret forum, that way companies looking for ideas like this can't get a hold of them easily. It's not really secret, just away from search engine spiders, and other prying eyes that don't have 3500 points to buy the pass.

Murcielago:
SDRAM
DDR
MRAM
DRAM
FRAM
SRAM
Those are all types of RAM (Random Access Memory) that requires a constant power flow to keep their data, so anything ending in "RAM" won't work. DDR is also a type of RAM, if I remember correctly.

I really love the USB flash memory game thing, Odd, but you'd need a pretty big one, considering many games today that kids play are usually 1 gig, or more.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
SRAM is just as powerful as some top of the line computers, if the prices of SRAM were to come down drastically you can be assured much faster speeds. Such a shame the prices are so high.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join