It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Time To Think About Homeschooling?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You bet, its not for everyone for a myriad of reasons. I wasn't trying to be insulting at all, its all about choices and all I'm suggesting is that people contemplate the idea and maybe discuss it with their "prospective student(s)", or even just become more active in whatever studies the kids are working on at school and making sure they're not being harassed or bullied or getting behind. I think most kids would appreciate hearing expressions of concern and interest, not to mention approval when they do good.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

If you don't have the patience and temperament to be an educator, you don't have any business becoming a parent. What do you suppose a parent is, if not an educator?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983

If you don't have the patience and temperament to be an educator, you don't have any business becoming a parent. What do you suppose a parent is, if not an educator?

Not true.

As far as parent vs educator, there IS a distinction when I wear the teacher hat and when I wear the mom hat. These roles have to be enforced from day one. He/she may NOT be able to educate his or her own children in the manner that is required. That certainly doesn't mean he or she isn't a good parent. It's incredible that you would feel the urge to post something so ignorant since you obviously have no concept of parent and teacher roles and what they entail in a homeschooling situation.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

You would dispute my claim that a parent is inherently meant to be an educator? I didn't ask about wearing different hats, I am stating that a parent's role is to teach their child, always. What a ridiculous discussion to be having.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

You would dispute my claim that a parent is inherently meant to be an educator? I didn't ask about wearing different hats, I am stating that a parent's role is to teach their child, always. What a ridiculous discussion to be having.

If you don't want ridiculous discussions, don't make ridiculous open-ended statements statements. Pretty simple. No, Id prefer a parent who isn't educated themselves NOT educate their children... so NO, not all parents are meant to be educators.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
so NO, not all parents are meant to be educators.

So what is a parent? Merely a genetic donor? A sperm and egg bank?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

If you don't want ridiculous discussions, don't make ridiculous open-ended statements statements. Pretty simple. No, Id prefer a parent who isn't educated themselves NOT educate their children... so NO, not all parents are meant to be educators.

There are reasons that go beyond a parent not being educated enough themselves, as in the case of autism or other special needs kids, even the experts are trying to figure out how to best deal with all of that.

But if its simply a matter of the parent missing the KNOWLEDGE to do it, that can be and should be addressed BY the adult, if only to improve their own lives. Why do people think of education ending at any set point in time and just say, well there's another one who fell through the cracks. Libraries and community colleges almost all offer adult literacy and remedial education classes and once the basics are achieved there are literally tons of resources available to keep right on learning. So I'll have to agree with Jason that a parent who isn't educated themselves is mostly a matter of being just too lazy to put in the effort and that's not even being a good role model. Who wants their child to think they're stupid?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

There is a world of difference between being a good and loving parent and being a person who can effectively teach academics and all forms of technical facts and information over 12 years worth of formal grade levels.

At the moment, this parent is unemployed and a full time college student, so I actually could give the clock time if my own studies left the mental energy to start a whole new school day with the teacher hat on before I go to my own with a student hat. Even if I could accomplish it and do my Son justice by it right now? I absolutely can't in the long term to his Senior year equivalent and I believe the only thing WORSE than a poor job done at home schooling would be to move a child in and out of public schools like it's a convenience thing. One or other other would be my personal approach...and I can't do the job at the level he'd deserve and require. (My other half has med issues making that a moot question out the gate on her side).

That's quite a thing to say tho..

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What's all this nonsense about different hats? You think your infant or toddler child cares about what mental hat you think you're wearing? A parent's job is to care for, nurture, and teach their child how to be a good person. Wtf is all this "Oh I'm not wearing my parent hat right now somebody else can mind my child"

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

What's all this nonsense about different hats? You think your infant or toddler child cares about what mental hat you think you're wearing? A parent's job is to care for, nurture, and teach their child how to be a good person. Wtf is all this "Oh I'm not wearing my parent hat right now somebody else can mind my child"

I don't have a problem with people subbing out their child's education for specialized training to someone they know and trust to have a better grasp on a given subject than they ~ say, for instance, music lessons. None of us can be proficient at everything. The key is "someone they know and trust", not someone who was educated and trained by a government agency to think and teach using only government approved texts and in an approved time, place and manner.

For all intents and purposes, the lies and errors taught in these institutions as fact, particularly with regard to history, amounts to child abuse.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Did you know that in the UK it is always the responsibility of the parent BY LAW to have the child taught to the child's age, aptitude and ability!!!
This means if your child goes to school for the whole 12 years and does NOT learn to read,etc and fails, the school nor the teachers can be taken to court and in fact by law you the parents can be!!!

How many parents would homeschool if they knew this??

BTW I have homeschooled for the last 8 years and the oldest is now doing the 3rd course of a degree, with OU.
The youngest is extremely gifted in visual/spatial abilities and I have to teach with that talent in mind.

In fact I was always told when I started to homeschool was that it was I, that had to enjoy learning (which I do) in order to teach them.
As it was I, that had to learn a skill so I could show them; as both are visual learners. But usually I only had to do it once.
Fortunately I was taught many crafts, etc by my parents, on top of school. So I haven't had to learn too many new skills.

But the first thing ALL parents should do, is to find out HOW their child learns- google tests for learning methods.
They will be either (or a mix) of visual, hearing or sensory. One will be dominant and one will be secondary, making the other the runt, and the one they can be the most hurt in.

If hearing is the runt learning method then you will be the most hurt by people calling you names.
So you will then know what not to do with your children and your relatives, and what you can tell others in how they need to treat you too.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Interesting and informative. Thank you for sharing your story and the excellent advice!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
My son won his place in a selective state (secondary/high) school in the UK which is in the top ten in England for academic results.
We spend an hour or so each evening going over his studies and I have the opportunity then to contribute my own opinion/perspective where appropriate.
If homeschooling works for you then good luck, but I am satisfied that my situation is vastly superior to anything I could provide myself. The state provides excellent resources in the day and we have the option to discuss anything regarding this in the evening.

I really struggle to see why anyone has such an anti view towards state education in the UK as it would appear that unless you are in the 'young earth Christian camp' then everything you teach at home will mirror the states system.
Oh, of course, it's mainly the US parents who distrust their education system, silly me.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
My son won his place in a selective state (secondary/high) school in the UK which is in the top ten in England for academic results.
We spend an hour or so each evening going over his studies and I have the opportunity then to contribute my own opinion/perspective where appropriate.
If homeschooling works for you then good luck, but I am satisfied that my situation is vastly superior to anything I could provide myself. The state provides excellent resources in the day and we have the option to discuss anything regarding this in the evening.

I really struggle to see why anyone has such an anti view towards state education in the UK as it would appear that unless you are in the 'young earth Christian camp' then everything you teach at home will mirror the states system.
Oh, of course, it's mainly the US parents who distrust their education system, silly me.

I'm glad your son's experience has been positive.

Britain spends more on education than most other developed nations – with investment soaring from £35bn in 2000 to £64bn in 2009 – but the country has nosedived in international league tables measuring pupils’ ability in maths, reading and science, the study found.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Doesn't sound like everyone there agrees with you.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

I'm not sending my wife's boy to public school any longer, Monday he's not going. And that's that. Only because I don't want him to be gay, an atheist or shot to death by our gov. Period.
edit on 5-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by frazzle

Britain spends more on education than most other developed nations – with investment soaring from £35bn in 2000 to £64bn in 2009 – but the country has nosedived in international league tables measuring pupils’ ability in maths, reading and science, the study found.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Doesn't sound like everyone there agrees with you.

I agree, and I put it down to #ty parenting, simple as that.
I've put many hours into consolidating the state education my son has received after school in an effort to allow him to succeed in life. I'm not rich or in some exclusive club of any kind but I divert my time and resources into developing and enhancing the excellent education his state school provides.
Poverty is often used as a lame excuse but I've used a kettle (coffee/tea heater) to boil water for a wash a few times in life because I didn't have enough gas to power more than one shower before my lad left for school.
I've used the public library many times to borrow books which would assist my childs education, many parents don't and I stand by my assertion that regardless of income in the UK if you devote the time to discuss and expolore your childs state school teachings every evening then you have absolute control whilst exploiting the strong resources the state provides.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by frazzle

I'm not sending my wife's boy to public school any longer, Monday he's not going. And that's that. Only because I don't want him to be gay, an atheist or shot to death by our gov. Period.
edit on 5-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Well I probably agree with you halfway, anyway and I'll probably get flamed for it but I don't think sex education has any place in school, but then the same goes for religion in my book.

As for getting shot, the odds of that are so long I can't come up with a high enough number. I'd be more worried that when the crackdown really does come around, the kids will be locked down in their schools and parents will have no access to them unless they __fill in the blank__. Kind of like a hostage situation with some legalese thrown in.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

I've put many hours into consolidating the state education my son has received after school in an effort to allow him to succeed in life.

Well there you go, that's what counts. Some people decide to take it all the way and depending on the situation, that may be the only logical choice.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Yes. You can't send your child away for ten hours a day where they are molded by other people's beliefs, and expect them to grow into the person you want them to be.

Yes, facts are such pesky and unwelcome things.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There is a severe problem with homeschooling. Andy Schlafly (he of the pile of drivel that is Conservapedia) recommends it, which is why I could recommend against it. Besides, my wife's taught in both the USA and the UK and she's a brilliant teacher, so go to school!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join