It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coulter Tears Into Liberal Gun Hypocrisy: Why Can't We Publish List Of Women Who Get Abortions?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Because both are true.

And I don't have to answer as to what will solve the problem. Personally I live in Canada, where it's really hard to find a handgun unless you go the underground route. Rifles by the thousands, but nobody robs a liquor store in Canada with a 30-06.

I made the comment that Coulter's assertion is ridiculous as the two topics are entirely unrelated. I think the gun registry is a good idea. If you can show me a nation entrenched in violence as the US is that doesn't require such things and has low gun violence, then I would suggest they use whatever model those nations have.

Something, needs to be done.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah, that doesn't quite work in certain circumstances.

If you commited fraud, then yeah, you should never have to deal with anything regarding that again if you served your time.

If you murdered somebody and served your time and got out and were shown to be 'reformed', sure, no problem.

If you kill and molest children, you should be on a list for life. Sorry.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You cannot do risk assessment though. It is all junk called science! You are far more likely to die in a car accident than to get shot to death, by a long long shot. You cannot predict crazy! You cannot start trying to play BS number games telling certain people they cannot protect themselves. You cannot predict these things, and trying to do so is just leaving people defenseless for no reason other than paranoia. I know plenty of "crazy" people with guns, and not a single one ever hurt anyone with them. This includes two full blown schizophrenics.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Honor93

You have the right to bear arms.
yes, that is a natural, birthright, not a government granted one.

The 2nd amendment allows you to carry and own fire arms.
NO, it doesn't.
never has and wasn't meant to.
what it does do is PREVENT the government from interfering with 'civilian arms', period.

How is that not a law?
because it isn't a law, never was.

ANd by your logic that means we should not register sex offenders? Cause it doesn't matter what they did right? No need to keep track of them?
~Tenth
actually, by my logic, we wouldn't have many sex offenders to register but that isn't the topic of this thread, either

nope, i see no need to keep track of them ... that's why we have access to a variety of lead weights

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

There's a difference between checking to see if you are mentally ill and potentially violent and just checking to see if you have medical issues.

I'm not supporting you take the guns away from everybody who has a psychological issue, but if you have a history of violent behavior you should not be afforded the right to own a firearm.

Maybe that's unfair and maybe it's unjust, but that's the way I see it.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

So who gets to draw the BS line then? I spit on your line. Serve the time you have been ordered to, then no one other than a judge presiding over a future case should be able to see it. To hell with these lists. Serve your time, and it should be sealed.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

No, your constitution was written by men. Just because they put the words God Given Right in on the paper doesn't mean God gave you those rights.

And yes the 2nd amendment is for the protection of the people against the government, I'm aware of that. It still however is the basis of the laws which allow you to carry firearms.

Why people still cling to piece of legislation written 200 years ago is still beyond me, but that's another thread.

I agree as far as your pedophile comment is concerned, I have a way of getting rid of them too, but that's not the topic.

ETA: here in Canada we had a long form gun registry for rifles. It was abolished and rightfully so because there was NO risk of people shooting up a place with the kinds of firearms Canadians own.

So Im with on needless registries. But the US is a different ball game.

~Tenth
edit on 1/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Listen,

If you think it's awesome to have a sex offender living next door without your knowledge, than that's your business.

I'd rather know my neighbor murdered children for a living before finding God or whatever.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It is unfair, and unjust for sure. We will never see eye to eye on this I don't think. Maybe if you have ever been acused of something you didn't do you would see it how I do. It sucks ass, I will tell you that much. Sitting in a cell, and paying a liar more than it costs to buy a brand new BMW to prove it, it sucks. And it is still on my record that I was accused of the crime, it never goes away. Ever.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

As a matter of fact I do know what that's like. I had it removed from my record though, since I have that recourse in my country.

And we weren't discussing people who were falsely accused. I'm talking people who were proven guilty.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Well, I hope you never have to find out first hand how much the system sucks. It's all peaches and cream, until it affects you personally, and I thought the same way you did until I was dragged through the mud.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It is unfair, and unjust for sure. We will never see eye to eye on this I don't think. Maybe if you have ever been acused of something you didn't do you would see it how I do. It sucks ass, I will tell you that much. Sitting in a cell, and paying a liar more than it costs to buy a brand new BMW to prove it, it sucks. And it is still on my record that I was accused of the crime, it never goes away. Ever.

Not sure where you are from, but you can pay another weasel with a BMW, to get it "Expunged". This is one little secret that they try to keep from us common folk, when falsely accused of a crime.......

Still another form of goverment extortion, but better to get it off your record than to have it on it...

edit on 4-1-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

And yeah, that's all fine and great, until you see how many people that have been proven guilty, that got out 50 years later due to DNA. But like I said, if you have to carry a scarlet letter throughout life, then those might as well be executed. Draw that line, who deserves to die, or have their life destroyed. Same difference.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Yeah, as long as there is different "laws" for the common man, and for the rich, it will never be just. It is the same with business law, if you got the money, when you start losing a bit of money, you hire a liar, and go bankrupt. Then start another business under your wife or kid's name. It is disgusting.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

She's such a horrible person as is, in my opinion, Sean. I realize that the democrats and the president need to be held accountable and that in the grand scope of things, he is doing us a service, however, how can you trust a man that has blinders on to half the population. I've never heard him turn up the heat on any republican or anyone on the right, no matter what the issue. We all know that there are bad people and mistakes on both sides of the political spectrum. As for Anne...I don't think I've ever seen a nastier person in my life. She's just full of hate.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

both cannot be true.

either you wish to curb legal guns somehow getting into the hands of criminals or you wish to curb criminals illegally getting guns or you wish to curb criminals getting their hands on legal guns ... so, which is it ??

your suggestion nor legislation can resolve ALL of the above issues.

ah, yet your region, in certain places, has almost as much gun violence as Chicago

so, how's the overall performance of your system ?

is violent crime decreasing ??
is gun violence decreasing ??
if the answer is no, why would you want to spread that here ?

i agreed with your opinion of Coulter's comments ... they are so unrelated that every time i give that woman 2 minutes, she convinces me, yet again, that all i did was waste perfectly good time

however, i suppose she has an audience ... why, i have no clue.

we disagree on the registry and nothing will change my mind on that one.

why use the model of another nation ??
we have Vermont, New Hampshire, Georgia and several other states setting good examples ... why not follow their lead ?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

So now our excuse is that we didn't have DNA testing 50 years ago and a crappy justice system?!

So therefore we should abolish any and all registries or precautions taken to protect the innocent for psychopaths?

I think your experience has left you somewhat jaded. It's unfortunate that you feel you don't have the resources or information to get your situation settled, but the remedy is available, and it's not hard to figure out.

But I'll never condone abolishing registries for sex offenders ( legitimate ones) and potentially dangerous gun owners.

Had America been more responsible with it's gun culture, this entire thing would have been avoided.

~Tenth

link   

Oh I am glad you had it so good though. If I had not had people willing to put up the money to pay for my liar, I would have gone down. Great wherever you live it doesn't haunt you forever. I have had many employers ask me about my case, that was dismissed after a long time. Spending months in jail may not bother you, but it bothered me. It will never happen again.

link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Why people still cling to piece of legislation written 200 years ago is still beyond me, but that's another thread.

I agree as far as your pedophile comment is concerned, I have a way of getting rid of them too, but that's not the topic.

ETA: here in Canada we had a long form gun registry for rifles. It was abolished and rightfully so because there was NO risk of people shooting up a place with the kinds of firearms Canadians own.

So Im with on needless registries. But the US is a different ball game.

~Tenth
edit on 1/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

The reason we "cling" to the Constitution is because it's worked. It's also written to allow for modifications as times change. It's a very brilliant document.

Again, you're coming back to the concept of "risk > registration."

This is akin to the pre-crime police in the movie Minority Report.

Me exercising my Constitutional right to own a gun is not a risk to anybody. With this thinking anybody who drives to a bar should register before they are allowed to buy alcohol.

link   
reply to post by amazing

Trust me, you're preaching to the choir. As I said in my OP, I used to sit there and yell at the tv. More and more though, I honestly think the Conservative Republicans are waking up. They're starting to learn the game that's being played because it's being FORCED on them too.

I'm not saying Fox News is the place to get your news, not by a long shot. But if you watch it NOW you can actually see some of them start to wake up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join