It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Places In the World To Live

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Miami -
No state taxes (other than property which is low)
Beautiful women
Diverse culture
world famous beaches
Some of the best hosptals in the world
Great weather
vibrant economy.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Melbourne, Australia has been voted the most livable city in the world a few times. But i'm not sure how they come to that conclusion, i'd like to know what the criterion are.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpcsmith7
ridiculous laws

Knowing the USA, Germany and other countries the ridicilous rate in Switzerland is as low as possible. Honestly, I have no idea what you are pointing at. Ok, sure, every country has it's stupid laws but the Swiss have less of those than normal.

The "best" city in the world was "M�nster" in 2004(and no, I don't know why!!!
). Elected by an international comittee sponsored by UN and an british institute.

Further nice cities are Swiss cities and Canadian cities. That's at least for the polls conducted in 2003 and 2004.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by mahsa]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I personally think I would go with New Zealand too, it is so beautiful and there is so much land.
What I've seen of Austria is nice, but the people in NZ tend to have a great outlook on life.

I think I would kill myself if I lived in Miami... Florida weather drives me crazy, too sunny and humid 80% of the year.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
nimbin
lismore
ballina
byron bay
lennox head
or the entire far north coast of new south wales.
I don't know about the taxes and stuff but we do have one of the most corrupt governments in the world! thats gotta count for something.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Sorry folks the best place to live is ALVIN TEXAS.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
~~

i should think, If Anyone Knew 'the best-ist place to live'

they would not TELL EVERYONE ELSE !!
~~~

'Dorothy' in Wizard of Oz said it best:

"theres no place like home....theres no place like home...th..."

mmmm...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Sorry folks the best place to live is ALVIN TEXAS.

sorry doc but all my exes live in texas, and thaaats why I hang my hat i myyyammmiiii

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Cuba all the way, beautiful weather, great people, excellent health care and education.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
i cant imagine any third world country as being a great place to live unless its a resort town, i personally think that australia would be where to go

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nothingistrivial
Cuba all the way, beautiful weather, great people, excellent health care and education.

Now thats funny. Hey a new tourism slogan "Cuba, its such a great place to live 100s die every year trying to escape on inner tubes"

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I was born in Switzerland but i'll tell you now Ireland!!!! Best country ever!!! Those who argue with me I shall set the Leprachauns on you!!!
ah ti ti ti ti!!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Well as a South African I have to say The Garden Route - Plettenberg Bay is probably the best kept secrets (suits ATS don't ya think)
It has Elephants, Forests, Sea, Whales have their calves there too.

Check it out

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Oh Canada for me. It's clean except for our border cities with the US and it has a low crime rate, good healthcare, stable economy when the US isn't screwing us with bogus trade disputes and it's multicultural.

Although I have to say I love the warmth of Australia too.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So far I had sean posts about Austria, New Zealand.., they r all pretty nice, clean.., but they r not the best places to live if u look away from cleannes, lows and $.
The best place to live I had been at (and I have been at alot of places), gada be Greece. Half the country consists of resorts, world best beaches, and non-stop party. Plus the standart of living s pretty high, and by US standards for example there r no lows.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Be Objective please! Usa a no! NO!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
For a good country in general to live a honest life and perhaps to put up a business and raise kids. I scorecarded several countries. Including only developed countries since they have literacy, basic education, electricity etc. without specifically having to check for these. I also only included sovereign countries (excludes hong kong for example.)

Scoring principle was in top 20 lists N
gets 20 points N
2 gets 19 points etc...

Stats used were:
UN Human Development Index 2004)
nationmaster.com life expectancy at birth
Transparency inc corruption perceptions index 2004
Growth competitiveness index rankings 2003
aneki.com cleanest countries
nationmaster.com long term unemployment (bottom-20)

Unfortunately I could not find stats for crime or healthcare that would've included at all the top-10 countries (for example the nationmaster crime index doesn't include sweden but sweden is not crime free). So no such scores are not added to avoid unequal advantages. Many individual indicators may be used in many different indexes used which may skew results a bit (for example corruption allready has probably some effect to the growth competitiviness index as does unemployment). Life expectancy acts as a some kind of health index.

Result scores top-20 followed by total taxes percentage for single worker

1. Sweden 90 (48,6%)
2. Norway 88 (37%)
3. Switzerland 83 (29,5%)
4. Iceland 82 (25,7%)
5. Canada 75 (30,2%)
6. Finland 73(45,9%)
7. Australia 72 (23,1%)
8. United States 65 (30,0%)
9. Denmark 63 (44,2%)
10. Netherlands 58 (42,3%)
11. Japan 53 (24,2%)
12. New Zealand 51 (19,6%)
13. UK 42 (29,7%)
14. Austria 42 (44,7%)
15. Singapore 30 (22%)
16. Luxembourg 30 (33,9%n)
17. Germany 24 (50,7%)
18. France 21 (48,3%)
19. Belgium 20 (55,6%)
20. Ireland 19 (25,8%)

But what is wanted is a relation between quality and taxes and here follows the top-10 for score per tax percentage. Congratulations winners

1. Iceland (3,191)
2. Australia (3,117)
3. Switzerland (2,814)
4. New Zealand (2,602)
5. Canada (2,483)
6. Norway (2,378)
7. Japan (2,190)
8. United States (2,167)
9. Sweden (1.852)
10. Finland (1.590)

Sources:
www.infoplease.com...
www.transparency.org...
www.weforum.org...
www.aneki.com...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...&int=20
www.nationmaster.com...&int=20

But of course what are the good parameters for someone else are always different. So if you don't like the indicators or indexes I used you can do your own, www.nationmaster.com is a good source if you wish to start sorting by number of mcdonaldses per capita or by miles of unpawed highways.

www.aneki.com also has many convenient top-20 lists

[edit on 28-10-2004 by vibetic]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well, Switzerland is for rich people - only at more than 1 million Euros a year it pays off. So I change my mind to another country. Probably it's Australia or New Zealand for a normal worker.

I can't think about anything nice in Ireland beside a growing economy. The landscape isn't as special as in many other countries and most important...unusually ugly people. Sorry for being ignorant but it's the truth!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join