Hello, My Name Is Naga Bhut Jolokia and I'm a WMD, 10,000 Times Hotter Than Tobasco Sauce!

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Today was a pretty standard day at work. I own a custom hardwood flooring installation, refinishing, and repair company, that operates with 11 employees and specializes in exotic species.

Exotics are not something stocked or offered in general distributors like Home Depot, Lowe's, Flooring America, or even Lumber Liquidators. This limited local market supply led to the opening of our exotics-dedicated custom mill that produces only exotic species, dictated by the exact specifications requested by our customers.

My dad stopped by about 45 minutes ago, as he usually does 1-2 times a week. Today's visit was unique, as a result of what he brought with him.

When he walked in, he laid a zip-loc bag on my desk and told me it was the kind of candy I have always liked (red-hot firballs - the round, red, moderately hot, jawbreakers)

I didn't think much of it, because he will drop things off like that every so often. He said they were a new & different flavor than what I have had before.

Since I like the fireballs and this was a new flavor, well, I just had to give one a go.

Popped it in my mouth and continued our conversation. At about 4.329 seconds in, I noticed something was wrong... very wrong... very, very, very, very, very, very, very wrong - very wrong, very, very wrong!

S harp pain shot from the top of my tongue, to the bottom of my chin. It was accompanied with an immediate running nose, severely watering eyes, and ears that were literally ablaze with pain.

My tastebuds, even some I never knew I had, felt as if someone had stuck a needle into my tongue and pumped it full of pure hell-fire, taken directly from the surface of the Sun, until it exploded.

Not localized only to my tongue, but also the roof of my mouth, my gums, my jaws, and I think even my teeth were burning with un-thinkably excrutiating pain. It was so insanely hot that it made my forearms ache, my legs and hands tremble, my toes curl, and the surface of my ear-drums hurt with a screeching pain that I can't even describe.

The pain was literally so intense, I could no longer bear and I actually started to cry!!

I know it must sound like I am a cry-baby, but I promise, I am not exaggerating the astronomic height of the intense pain.

At this point my dad and I were freaking out! One of his long-time friends gave them to him as an ingredient used to spice up different dishes. They should be crushed and added, sparingly, to the ingredients of the selected recipe.

His friend didn't warn him of just hot hot these things really are. Their smell does very little to warn of their extremely potent flavor. In-fact, they have a very mild, somewhat pleasing, flowery-sweet, terrifically mis-leading aroma. He doesn't like 'fireball candies', so he gave them to me to check if I liked them.

IN NO CAPACITY, ANYWHERE IN KNOWN REALITY, WILL I EVER LIKE THESE ABOMINATIONS of MOTHER NATURE - THEY SHOULD BE ERADICATED, THEN ENTIRELY REMOVED FROM ALL HISTORICAL RECORDS and REFERENCES!

An hour after tasting the pepper, the symptoms began to subside and I started a mission to identify this WMD (Weapon of Mouth Destruction)

It didn't take long to figure it out...

The curse upon all of mankind is called Naga Bhut Jolokia

Sometimes it goes by other names, such as: ghost pepper, ghost chile pepper, red naga chilli, ghost chile.

Some other names for it - Satan, Lucifer, and Hitler's Right Hand (not really, but those are the names I would choose to best describe it).

If you have never heard of this pepper, I suggest not searching it out, if you plan to taste it directly & without it's dilution into ingredients of a larger dish.

What's more frightening than a pepper that makes you feel like you have sucking on a lolli-pop made out of pure molten lava? The fact that it is NOT the hottest pepper on Earth;

In 2007, Guinness World Records certified that the Bhut Jolokia was the world's hottest chili pepper, 10,000 times hotter than Tabasco sauce!!!!!*; however, it has since been superseded by the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion. New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute states that it is still the hottest chile pepper that is commercially available

*my emphasis

I am very under-educated when it comes to measuring heat in this manner, but maybe some of you will know that the description below means;

Scoville Scale Rating

The Scoville scale is the measurement of the pungency (spicy heat) of chili peppers.

Scoville Rating

In 2000, India's Defence Research Laboratory (DRL) reported a rating of 855,000 heat units (SHU) on the Scoville scale, and in 2004 a rating of 1,041,427 units was made using HPLC analysis. For comparison, Tabasco red pepper sauce rates at 2,500–5,000, and pure capsaicin (the chemical responsible for the pungency of pepper plants) rates at 16,000,000 SHU .

Uses

It is used as a food and a spice as well as a remedy to summer heat, presumably by inducing perspiration in the consumer. In northeastern India, the peppers are smeared on fences or incorporated in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance

As A Weapon

In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades, as a non lethal way to flush out terrorists from their hideouts and to control rioters. It will also be developed into pepper spray as a self-defense product...

The images in the link do not match the description of how I experienced the 'Ghost Pepper. The pepper has been processed and packaged in a ball shape, presumably for spacial and shelf life consideration.

So there we have it, the source of today's cry-baby session!

I would not recommend using this pepper in anything. I probably wouldn't use it against enemies at war time!... ok, maybe I would, but ther is no other time I would suggest it's use.

To those of you out there who are interested in learning more about the pepper, it's uses and where they can be purchased, visit the above and below links in this thread:

Purchase the Ghost Pepper Online

Purchase Ghost Pepper Seeds Online

Hot Pepper Review

Ghost Pepper Dedicated Wiki Page

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ill stick with plain old Jalepenos, thank you

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've seen those candies on thinkgeek along with ghost pepper salt and flakes. I tried a flake on pizza once and was glad I didn't just dump a bunch on there. Sorry your dad didn't give you enough warning before trying them to know what you were getting into.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My son posted a video of him and his two friends popping a Habenero pepper in their mouths. It was pretty funny, for the first few seconds, you could hear them saying, "thats not so bad" then after about 10 seconds, their faces went from this
to this
and they started running around and shoving bread in their mouths.. was pretty funny.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This happened to my husband once. And once only.

He cried like baby.

He is veeeery careful now about his peppers.. .

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Nature is truly amazing. The hot pepper plants have developed a fantastic way of making sure they are not eaten by critters.

When I grew jalepeno plants out here, they were the only plants completely left alone by insects and the deer and rabbits.

Being a newbie to peppers, I took the ones I grew and cut them and prepared them bare-handed. My hands burned like they were on fire for approximately 4 hours afterwards. I was amazed, until I talked to some Mexican-American friends, who laughed at me and said to never mess with peppers without gloves.

WMDs? Yeah they are. I cannot imagine the insane amount of pain you felt. Crazy!!

Reminded me of this (excuse the poor quality):

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I ate a piece of a Habanero pepper once....

No wait, that's a lie... I attempted to eat a piece once...

Needless to say it was the first and last time.

My throat closed up as if to say... NO way buddy... that ain't getting in here. And after I spit it out I spent the next 20 mins or so with my face under the tap... it was the only thing that helped the pain.

Peppers like these are a curse on man kind...

but its funny as hell when you get to witness someone eating them

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
holy!

the closest I can compare to is the THERMO NUCLEAR chicken wings from Cluck-U. I am a huge fan of pushing the limits of heat threshold with my foods, but those wings are completely inedible.

their second hottest flavor will land you on the toilet for several hours. yummy!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

Don't I know it!... If I had any idea that it was such an extreme pepper, I would have never thrown it in my mouth.

I have always liked hotter foods, jalepeno, small amounts of Habenero, hot mustard, horse-radish, etc. I thought I had tasted pretty much the worst there is... obviously, I was wrong.

When I was 17-18, a few friends went to Gatlinburg with me (I basically live in Gatlinburg). We walked into a 'market square' mall. On the 3rd level was a store that sells only hot sauce.

Being the biggest studs on Earth, we couldn't leave without tasting the hottest sauce there. So, a straight pretzel stick and a few drops of hot sauce later, we were all having trouble reconciling our stupidity. Taking turns with the water fountain, it hurt so bad we couldn't sit still.

That was very hot, but it tastes like milk campared to the Ghost Pepper!

reply to post by Juggernog

After I started feeling a little better, I noticed my dad having trouble keeping a straight face.

I said, 'I don't think it's too funny, really!'

He said, 'I know, but the look on your face when you realized it was hot! I've never seen that look on anyone's face my whole life!'

I bet it was a pretty sour look. Too bad he didn't catch me in video, but then it would've blown his innocence!

They should use these things during interrogations! No amount of training could prepare you to deal with this!

reply to post by kosmicjack

Forever more, your husband and I will be linked by the wisdom found after making this terrible folly.

I am not sure I will ever be able to eat anything spicy again... ever!

Kinda like drinking a certain type of liquor (Sour Mash Whiskey) and having a week long hangover. Since then, whenever I even smell the whiskey, I get sick. ugh... makes me sick thinking of it!

reply to post by FissionSurplus

It is ridiculous... I had it on the tip of my thumb, index, and middle finger. I got an itch on my thigh, just below that of which we do not speak.

It never crossed my mind that it was on my fingers, I was too pre-occupied with the idea this pepper was trying to murder me!

I had denim jeans on and scratched the itch... about 5 minutes later, I noticed a mild burn and knew exactly what it was. I coulda slapped myself for it. It wasn't long until a pretty strong burn was setting in.

I quickly changed pants & boxer/briefs and scrubbed my thigh with soap and water.

It was a strong enough burn, but nothing even close to what my mouth was feeling. The mouth pain was so terrible, I have my doubts that it is even from this dimension.

I gave one of the 'ghost pepper fireballs' to my neighbor, a paraplegic for 30+yrs. 5 minutes later, I heard a scream. When I looked out my window, I saw him in full Olympic sprint to his car, wheel chair still sitting on his porch! haha, just kidding, but it would, probably, work!

Nature is truly amazing. How does a plant know to produce a defence system? How does it know what bothers predators? I mean, when the seed blooms, it is already determined how it will grow. How does a plant know what change to make and how to make the change?

How does a tree know to make seed pods that will fly away like a helicopter, in order to have a better chance of growing off-spring?

reply to post by Akragon

You are right! My dad definitely thought it was funny. He was probably laughing on the inside the whole time... or maybe he was laughing outloud, I was just in too much pain to notice!

Habeneros are vicious, but I would have gladly eaten 20 of them at once if it meant the pain from the Ghost Pepper would go away.

I really think that these things could kill someone, under the right circumstances!

reply to post by tgidkp

Haha, re-writing the meaning of 'Hot-Seat'!

We used to get the hottest wings at a local place on Univ. of Tennessee campus. Their hottest were called, 'Death Wings'. They were also unedible, for me anyway. I would gladly eat 5 servings instead of licking the ghost pepper for 4.329 seconds!

I've never heard of the place you mention, but it could be possible they are using some, or all, of this pepper as their primary heat source. If so, I'll be sure to never order them, should I find myself at that place.
edit on 4-1-2013 by esteay812 because: I wanted to add another reply.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I love this pepper.... Even to the3 point of growing them, and then incorporating them into my mixed pickled peppers and veggies. (quick recipe: lots of jalapeno, white and red habenero, yellow hot hugarian, cherry poppers and 1/2 of a Bhut Jalokia(per jar and shredded), add baby carrots, colliflower onions and a sprig of taragon, sugar, salt & vinegar).
Shared a few jars with friends. Everybody raves for them. Already have orders for next year.

Yes it's hot but use it sparingly and it adds great flavour.
edit on 8-1-2013 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I have always liked spicy food, in some cases, I like it pretty dang hot.

Your recipe does sound great, but only in limited capacity. Maybe a nibble here or there... or as a compliment to a good cold cut sandwich, etc... You make me wonder how this would be, if used, along with dill, to make some homemade pickles?

I also love pepadew - peppadew. They are some of my favorite, but they are hard to get around where I live at... they can be ordered, but I don't know of any local markets that stock it. I bet a splash of But Jolokia might really put those things on steroids!

Your recipe might be something I try-out, to see if I like it like that, but definitely not something I'm gonna munch on while kicked back, watching the big game...
I think I'll go ahead and stick with the trusty 'ole hot-pepper cheese and crackers!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I had grown the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers last summer. First pepper plants that I had ever grown. These peppers are a killer, no really, they are the hottest out there. I grew six plants, each plant produced approx. 50-60 peppers. Not knowing their potency, I cleaned a few to recover the seeds, bad idea, no gloves or face mask...after cleaning 3 peppers, my face was burning around my nose and mouth( from breathing in the vapors) and my hands felt as though someone had spilled hot lava on them. The effects of the peppers lasted for 2 1/2 days with continuous burning, reddness to the areas mentioned earlier. I dried the peppers in a de-hydrater and ground them down to dust.

They look like FIRE when cut open.(Notice the gloves?)
edit on 1/8/2013 by Jetman44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

You are right. These are not for the faint hearted, and definetely not for munching during the big game on TV. Like you said, they are best serve along side a good smoked meat sandwich or even just a thick slice of homemade bread, buttered of course.

Just to change things up, and because I had tons in my garden. This year I used taragon instead of dill in my recipe. Taragon really did change the whole character of the pickles. As it turns out an Iranian friend of mine showed me that taragon has been the pickling herb of choice in that part of the world for eons. Some of those who benefited from these pickled peppers actually prefered this combo.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jetman44

Gloves?

haha, I thought that was just dead skin, from the pepper ruining you!

The things found in nature are truly amazing. I like to think about the possibility of E.T.s, but, truthfully, there are so many things left undiscovered and so many things that I haven't been able to learn yet, I can't imagine any other place that offers the diversity and mystery of Earth.

A plant whose reproduction process yields a pungent and painful 'blood', thousands of times more potent than commonly known peppers, is something many people would not believe.

What is the opposite of Spicy Hot... the taste of hot found in the ghost pepper and the Scorpion, what would the opposite of that be? Would it be sweet?

Makes me wonder what vegetable/fruit is the most extreme opposite of the Bhut Jolokia and the Scorpion Peppers?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I'll definitely have to try that! What does it taste like, is it familiar to dill at all? I've never really like the 'Bread and Butter' pickles... Sounds like a nice change-up... I just hope my stomache lining can hold up to the torture I will be putting it through this summer!

I haven't tried anything else really spicy since my dance with the ghost pepper a few days ago. I wonder if my tastebuds will fire off as intensely as they did before eating it? I hope it didn't cause any permanent damage, but I am not joking when I say, 'It is entirely possible, based on the reaction of pain from the ghost pepper, that I could have permanent damage'

I don't know how far you have to go to cause permanent damage, but much further and I may have been hitting myself over the head with a hammer, trying to knock myself unconscious... like the cartoons
edit on 9-1-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

For the record, mine are not 'Bread and Butter' pickles. I just like eating my hot peppers with buttered home-made bread. Butter and other milk products take soothe the burn of the peppers.

As for damage.... Yes these peppers can cause damage. While making my last batch I didn't wear any gloves either and it took two days for my hands to recover from the mild burn that was caused, even though I washed my hands often with soap and water while preparing them. Eating them like you did can cause some Medical risks. You should NEVER uses these as a source for practicle jokes as evidenced in numerous You-Tube videos. (I won't attach any as they are easily found with a quick search)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Just ordered my bhut-jolokia seeds for this years crop. Yee Haw its gonna be a hot tongued party in September all over again.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I had an interesting experience with that pepper, actually the essential oil of it. A Thai friend was having an art show, and another of his friends was doing the cooking for it...he made 3 of the same dish to be labeled regular, med and hot but the cook was arriving late and the person that brought them couldn't remember which were which...everyone was scared to try to find out before the show, I didn't know what the big deal was, I said heck I'll figure it out...mind you that weakest thing called Texas Pete would send me ablaze and Jalapenos no way and Habanero? Forget about it.

So I get a spoon and and get a bit for a sample; as soon as this stuff hit my tongue it felt like I just stuck it in an electrical outlet. Tears and nose kept running non stop I turned beat red and absolutely nothing cooled it off. The friend that cooked it called and said; no one should touch the medium and hot one he made a mistake, because he couldn't find the instructions for the oil and went by memory, and they were labeled on the bottom.

The call came a little late though, I had to leave the show as it was starting. The cook called me later to see how I was doing, he said that the instructions said it was for mass production cooking...2 drops per 10 gallons equal hot. He said he put 10 drops in this 2 gallon chaffing dish and got concerned because people can permanently lose their taste and other disturbing side effects.

Well, I lost my taste for about a week...it finally came back. It was a horrible experience; but on the bright side...absolutely nothing is hot to me anymore, Habaneros are about as spicy as plain water as fr as my taste buds re concerned. So it has had an unexpected benefit...I can actually taste and enjoy all of the complexities of these sauces without a hint of heat what so ever. The bad side effect is sometimes forgetting spice heat doesn't effect me when cooking...I made a big pot of chili with a whole can of Chipotle peppers and had no idea those are a spicy pepper. Eekk.

CX

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have a jar of chilli jam inm my fridge, with 6.7% of the ingredients made from this pepper.

Without doubt the hottest stuff i've ever tasted. It's made by the Chilli Jam Man in Yorkshire. I end up burning with no more than a cotton bud size amount.

CX.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

My seeds arrived, been planted in starter pots and are in the green house.

35 (or so) days for fermentation, 1 week of hardening, then 90 days of sun and water.

Good to go!

new topics
top topics

join