It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs laws delaying sequestration, establishing defense policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Obama signs laws delaying sequestration, establishing defense policy

defensenews.com

...The two-month sequestration delay establishes a March 1 deadline for Congress and the president to establish $1.2 trillion in deficit-reduction measures in order to avoid defense and civilian agency sequestration cuts, reported Defense News. If they fail to produce such measures, sequestration would begin on March 27...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.defensenews

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sequestration creates friction between Congress and OMB (updated)
edit on 4-1-2013 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
As could have been expected, yet another 'delay' in the consequences for not working out a viable budget has been created by the stroke of an auto-pen.

However, he attached a signing statement claiming that he has the constitutional power to override the limits in the law, the story said.

"Even though I support the vast majority of the provisions contained in this Act, which is comprised of hundreds of sections spanning more than 680 pages of text, I do not agree with them all....Though I continue to oppose certain sections of the Act, the need to renew critical defense authorities and funding was too great to ignore," Politico quotes Obama as saying.

As if blind to the reality, the citizens again proceed under the apparent assumption that the political machinery has the will and gumption to simply play the cards as they are dealt. The military industrial complex was never going to allow that to happen... not as long as they own the politicians who make policy, and have most of their executive circle somehow "appointed" politically to every function that advises government.

I am not very surprised, ad you might have gathered from my earlier thread Sequestration creates friction between Congress and OMB (updated).

Interestingly, we will continue to divert tax-payer dollars to the 'defense' of this country, which apparently has nothing to do with actually defending the country, but instead is about projecting force around the world.

This is one "entitlement" that needs to go.

The authorization act enables the Defense Department to spend $633 billion on aircraft, ships and vehicles, the Defense News story said. Notably, the act clears the Pentagon to enter into multiyear procurement deals on several major programs, including for Army CH-47 helicopters, Navy DDG-51 destroyers and V-22 tiltrotor aircraft.

I suppose these expenditures can easily be justified, considering how threatened our national security is.... apologies... too sarcastic... I am a veteran and agree that we need the best we can have when it comes to equipment for our troops. But something is amiss in this situation....

The NDAA clears the Pentagon to spend $552.2 billion in base budget monies and another $88.5 billion on ongoing global wars and other operations.

The total amount is $1.7 billion above the Obama administration’s 2013 Pentagon budget request, which arrived on Capitol Hill earlier this year.

They even got more than they asked for.

www.defensenews
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-1-2013 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
They can keep kicking the can all they want, but it looks to me like they are either running out of time or they are running out of road. Whichever may be true, they can only delay the inevitable for so long.

Edit*

Based on recent events I am afraid that the fork in the road is quickly approaching. The road to the right leads us to financial collapse and depression. The road to the left leads to wars and rumors of wars.
edit on 1/4/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

America reminds me of a person who has just lost his job. Sure, there's food in the fridge, the cable's paid for, for the month, mortgage is good (for a month), and car, utilities are all good. For a month or so.

So what does this "America" person do who has just lost his job?

He spends, spends, and spends and spends. He throws parties. He loans out money to his friends. He buys more stuff.

He (our sad friend America) is in a frenzy. His actions are manic. He is not acting rationally. Sooner, rather than later, our sad friend America will be even MORE broke and destitute.

He didn't take the time to look for more ways to create wealth, he just borrowed on his "good" name and rang up more debt.

He didn't save what he had.

And he spent what he didn't own.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This bill is clearly only delaying the inevitable while still allowing the government to function on a blank check. Based on the actions of the government, I am surprised that more people don't follow the leader and spend money they don't have. Oh wait, they already do. LOL at us

You can only beat a dead horse for so long. It's still a dead horse.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
They've been kicking this can down the road since before Obama, and they'll keep kicking it, because the reality is that it's too big and too complex with too many potentially dangerous consequences to deal with.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I can't argue that the horse is not dead.... but I will still persist in kicking the corpse.

Thomas Jefferson may have been correct when he suggested that we need an amendment to prohibit congress from "borrowing" money from a bank.

Scratch that... he was right. We need Constitutional currency.... it's our nations right... and congress had no business giving a monetary monopoly to a private banking cartel... look where it's got us.

But then... what would the bankers do?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

There is going to come a time where "Constitutional currency" will be adopted back regardless of the wishes of our esteemed public servants.

Eventually inflation (along with more discussion of the 1 trillion dollar platinum coin) will drive people back to gold and silver for goods and services.

In my humble opinion.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I hate to say it..but the people are also to blame for letting the Fed take over as well. Heck, calling it the Federal Reserve confuses a lot of people. When they learn that it's actually not run by the Federal Government they are typically dumbfounded.

My brain hurts just thinking how screwed we are now and future generations.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngalt722
reply to post by Maxmars

I hate to say it..but the people are also to blame for letting the Fed take over as well.

"the people" didn't really have a choice, or any say in that matter.

The illusion of an empowered people was created slowly over many decades and covertly replaced with direct controls and powers exclusively for the elite.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by johngalt722

Well, I don't know about you, but I was taught in school the federal reserve was part of the federal government. And until I heard Ron Paul talk about it, then did some research on it, that is what I thought. How can people really be to blame, when 90% of schooling is a lie? The only subject that cannot lie is math really. Although math as it is taught is kinda crappy, I used to get points off on tests for not jotting down every single step on paper, I used to combine steps in my head, in honesty, doing crap on paper slowed me down, I could do the whole thing in my head if only the end result counted

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

I don't disagree with what you are saying. Still, the people need to educate themselves better. I went through the same crappy education system as the rest of the people. I know the government and TPTB don't make it easy.

Power ceases in the instant of repose; it resides in the moment of transition from a past to a new state, in the shooting of the gulf, in the darting to an aim. - Emerson

Seems like there will never be repose.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I do not understand!

The vast majority of the US debt uses the savings of ordinary Americans as collateral. It is your retirement funds, your savings, in fact, everything you own.

This is not a case of when TSHTF the US Government will collapse, it is a case that all of what each and every citizen owns will disappear in a puff of magic mirror smoke. You won't have any retirement funds or savings left. It will be gone!

Every citizen will suddenly have nothing. Talk about leveling the playing field between the rich and the poor. You will still end up paying back the other countries you owe money to. They may take the amount owned in land or industry but it will be paid.

Posters talk about the fiscal cliff as if only the Govt will fall. The only people not effected will be the 1%, who have their primary wealth tucked away in other countries and in gold, diamonds or some other hard currency.

P

edit on 4/1/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The NDAA clears the Pentagon to spend $552.2 billion in base budget monies and another $88.5 billion on ongoing global wars and other operations. The total amount is $1.7 billion above the Obama administration’s 2013 Pentagon budget request, which arrived on Capitol Hill earlier this year.

That is absolutely disgusting, where are the threats that require that much funding?

No prizes for guessing who's after global domination then

top topics

join