It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tit for Tat Over the Falkland Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Since President Kirchner of Argentina took out two ads in British newspapers claiming the Falkland(Malvinas) Islands as theirs. The UK Tabloid "The Sun" has embarrasingly dropped to her level and taken one out in the Argentine Herald. Here is the Ad

www.thesun.co.uk...

Unfortunately they have made it impossible to copy any of the text over so you will have to visit the link to read the Ad.

In summary it says that the UK has been soverign over the Falklands Islands before the Republic of Argentina even existed, that there has never been an Argentine population on the Island aside from an Argentine Garrison trying to impose Argentine rule and that the Falkland Islanders wish to exercise their UN right to self determination and stay British.

Now what the Sun has said is true and is generally the British political stand point over the Falklands, but taking out an Ad in Argentina.... Please. Why did you go out of your way to make us look like little children fighting over a ball. We all know that Kirchner is just trying to score some political points at home, so just leave her to it and let her embarass herself knowing full well that the Falkland Islands will stay British for as long as the people decide to be British as Argentina has no legal right to the islands whatsoever and does not have the Military capability to take it by force.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The Sun has a grand tradition of making itself look like a complete ARSE. "UP YOURS DELORS" and other significant literal works of our time spring to mind.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
no one cares about the islands, they might care about the oil around it.

as you can see in the image, it is part of argentinas continental shelf. if all the water dried up it would be a mountain.

geologically speaking it is part of argentina.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Geologically Speaking the USA is part of Mexico, Canada and the Carabean Islands but they are all seperate countries. Can you expand on your point about the Shelf and its relevance to the debate? If anything that would mean that Argentina belongs to the Falklands as it was a nation before Argentina.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There was a good interview on the radio yesterday with the Falklanders saying they don't see themselves as British so much as simply 'Falklanders.' Sure enough, they're closer to Argentina than Britain but so is Chile and Argentina aren't banging drums for that nation are they?

Even their accents are distinctively theirs and neither S American or British. Let them be.

Hopefully the referendum will put an end to Argentina using the islands as some kind of deflective political magic trick.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the similarities between Falkland Islands - Argentina and Taiwan - China?

The Sun's actions are weak theatre, in my humble.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
no one cares about the islands, they might care about the oil around it.

as you can see in the image, it is part of argentinas continental shelf. if all the water dried up it would be a mountain.

geologically speaking it is part of argentina.

Chile is joined to Argentina. Do the Argie's want Chile also?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Just look at the global press awareness of what The Sun has done and the number of hits its web site will have taken. I guess they should also thank you as well.

This all about advertising and sales revenue, and the owners and editorial staff of The Sun has done a great job.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The Royal Navy is the second-largest navy in NATO in terms of the combined tonnage of its fleet. Its global power projection capabilities are deemed second only to the United States Navy. There are currently 91 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy, including aircraft carriers, submarines, mine counter-measures and patrol vessels. There are also the support vessels of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

Yep, I would just pay Argentina no mind. Let them bitch and whine. Its the way it is unless the folks that live on the islands want something different (but, I don't think they ever will)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

The Sun's a piece of garbage as news goes. I agree with you there

At the same time, Argentina don't care about The Sun articles and the Falklanders probably don't add much to their revenue either.

This one isn't about British media...it's more about Argentine domestic politics in a economic crisis.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As far as I see Argentina has no legal right to the islands and if they want them they're going to have to take on Her Majesty's armed forces. A more honest ordeal that would be, I think, than these games we keep seeing played between Argentina and the UK.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I don't know what you're implying by pointing out the geological connection with the mainland but if you're saying that being part of the same greater landmass implies right of ownership I guess the Mongols were simply asserting their ownership of Eurasia

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The Sun has been keeping the british people stupid since its inception. It is a hatefull bigoted rag.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix
The Sun has been keeping the british people stupid since its inception. It is a hatefull bigoted rag.

You can rant and rave about the Sun, but with regards to the Falklands they are right and President de Whatsherface of Argentina is wrong.

The Argentinean President’s advert blabbers on about colonialism. Surely, Argentina's history is about colonialism. Should what little remains of the indigenous population of Argentina have their lands restored. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Ultimately, this is about Argentinean domestic politics and if the Sun can spark a debate in Argentina then that’s probably for the good. It exposes the ridiculousness of the Argentinean position.

Regards

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I agree. Many islanders see themselves as Falklanders first, British only second. And that's despite the British government in 1983 bending over backwards to improve their status from embarrassing, even unwanted, second class colonials to full British citizens.

What I truly grudge is that these islanders make little if any financial contribution to their own defence. But as with defence, other aspects of their government expenditure is subsidised by everyone else in UK too. Even Thatcher recognised that the Falkland Islands are an economic basket case. She's the one who gave them so much state aid. Their schools, hospitals etc ... all paid for by UK plc. Minor ailment ? Here, have a free prescription. Get seriously unwell in the Falkland Islands and they'll fly you to South America, free of charge ... you'll be treated there free too. You might even get flown back to UK. All free. Get to 17 or 18 years of age ? They'll fly you to UK to study at university here. All free. Their road networks ... all free ... some roads so rarely used that they're best described as 20 mile long personal driveways than anything else.

Now that might be fine and dandy. But not when taxpayers in UK are expected to bend over and take it royally because our own finances are in a mess. Perhaps we should all emigrate to the Falkland Islands, it's going to be the new Aberdeen after all, what with all this oil money they're expecting soon. Oh. You can't. You can't just emigrate to the Falkland Islands on a whim. That's forbidden. It's not like a trip from Kent to Essex for us British taxpayers, we can't just turn up there and buy a house because we feel like it ... the Falkland Islanders don't allow "immigration" unless you've got a good reason to go there.

That's right. We pay for it all. Yet we can't even visit without permission.

And these ingrate islanders want YOU to pay for it all, until they get their oil. And even then no doubt they'll keep their oil money and we'll still be left paying for their defence.

Hopefully once the UK is broken up by virtue of Scottish independence, the islands will then become an intolerable financial burden for the Rest of the UK.

Cut them loose. Let them fend for themselves, these ungrateful island people that they are. For once the Bandera Oficial de Ceremonia is hoisted up the Port Stanley flagpole (again), they'll soon discover within a few years only that Argentina cares for them no more than the British ... and ain't that the sad truth ?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

As a scouser, I refuse to click that link. Could you screenshot the text for me or provide another source please?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Geologically Speaking the USA is part of Mexico, Canada and the Carabean Islands but they are all seperate countries. Can you expand on your point about the Shelf and its relevance to the debate? If anything that would mean that Argentina belongs to the Falklands as it was a nation before Argentina.

They should have laid claim then.

top topics

join