It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time as a healer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What is it about time that makes it such a great healer to the soul?

I was thinking back today about a very painful heartache that I experienced last summer. At the time of the event, it didn't take much to make me feel like breaking into a 1000 tears. It was a struggle to stay composed.

Now, 6 months later, I think back to that event and...while sad...do not feel that emotional devastation that I once did. The only change has been time....

So what is it about TIME that has such a profound effect on something as NON-PHYSICAL as emotional pain. What is the scientific mechanism for how that healing works??? Yes, emotional distress can have physical emanations (tears, stress, etc...)....yet those things can diminish over time just a physical wounds can heal over time. We understand how this works on a physical wound....but not something that's non-physical?

Just curious about your thoughts....

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Basically, your brain gets filled with new thoughts and ideas on a daily basis,
while at the same time, the old, sad memories fades into the distance.

Our brains are designed to forget old memories, and rather focus on the here-and-now.

Our brains can't hold too many thoughts all at the same time, so, in order to make space for new thoughts as a result of current (here-and-now) stimuli, the brain must start to discard some of the older memories.

The old memories are not really forgotten, just moved to a different storage space, away from your current thinking brain.

That is the best explanation that I can give you.

It is really a fortunate thing that we can heal like this over time.
Otherwise the emotional pain will just increase, and increase with every new pain that gets added.
It's a good thing that the amplitude of older pain gets dimmed out over time, otherwise life would be unbearable.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by QMask

I don't think that they ever leave our brain, because they can be brought back with a triggering event. I find it amazing how some people can remember everything from a very early age, how would these people then heal?

spez

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by QMask

Our brains are designed to forget old memories, and rather focus on the here-and-now.

It is?

It does?

Speak for yourself, Personally, I live WITH the past, not to get away from it. Everything in the "here and now" is made from our familiarity of what was. Memories.

Old memories get diluted with everyday stuff, so yeah, time is a healer, but I would never say our minds are "designed" to forget. The opposite in fact, which is why we are so....human.
edit on 4/1/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This reminds me of an Emily Dickinson poem:

They say that "Time assuages"-
Time never did assuage-
An actual suffering strengthens
As sinews do, with age-

Time is a Test of Trouble-
But not a Remedy-
If such it prove, it prove too
There was no malady-

I guess it depends on the malady in question...

edit on 4-1-2013 by Pilot because: a

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
How synchronous to find this post. Time is a current. Within which, the physical and non physical cease to exist as separate manifestations. They become something greater than the sum of their parts, however time is the web, it is also the great river. The great river carries all along with it, even when its desperate occupants cling to the sides, it knows that eventually, they will be pulled free, and continue their journey.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPEZNA1
reply to post by QMask

I don't think that they ever leave our brain, because they can be brought back with a triggering event. I find it amazing how some people can remember everything from a very early age, how would these people then heal?

spez

This is a GREAT point and makes me consider more facts.... Let's look at PTSD. When someone suffers a PTSD flashback, they feel and experience the entire event as if it were happening in the present moment....with full physical and non-physical (i.e. emotional) affects. Time plays no role in the lessening of the traumatic effect.

So that begs the question "is time a healer (for most) because it allows synaptic or cellular breakdown of the formation of memories?" Which...in the case of a PTSD flashback victim...could be a malfunction of a natural breakdown process?

With physical healing, we know it generally improves or deteriorates over time because of the repair or decomposition of cells. As far as I know, there is no physical correlation to time's "repair" of emotional trauma...yet it does happen (as evidenced by heartbreak or other trauma).

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by December21st2012
How synchronous to find this post.

Funny....I was just thinking the same thing about your registration date!

Originally posted by December21st2012
Time is a current. Within which, the physical and non physical cease to exist as separate manifestations. They become something greater than the sum of their parts, however time is the web, it is also the great river. The great river carries all along with it, even when its desperate occupants cling to the sides, it knows that eventually, they will be pulled free, and continue their journey.

I completely understand the philosophical aspect of time.... What I don't fully grasp is how time works on a physical level to "heal" a non-physical attribute.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well, time is a conduit that allows the emotional pain to flow away. Time is miss understood, it is not simply a measurement of from then to now, or now to then. Time does not itself act in a physical way, but it accommodates. So a long period of time can be as much, an awful lot of experiences between now and then, or a much lower rate of experiences between now and then, much farther away from each other. Either way, time enables the physical and the emotional to act upon their surroundings. Your pain, has travelled along this conduit and hopefully wont travel back, but that depends on you providing a constant flow of emotions and experiences in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I agree that time can mend a soul....

Healing can be a different story though.

Quoted from an old poem of mine.
edit on 5-1-2013 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

So what is it about TIME that has such a profound effect on something as NON-PHYSICAL as emotional pain. What is the scientific mechanism for how that healing works??? Yes, emotional distress can have physical emanations (tears, stress, etc...)....yet those things can diminish over time just a physical wounds can heal over time. We understand how this works on a physical wound....but not something that's non-physical?

Time heals some pains. True love however never dies and we always leave a light on of hope that somehow by some means it will be ressurected to life.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Is it right to say emotions are not of this world? Is time of this this world? Are emotions time? What is time..

You said it, there we have it, so, what's up? It surely has been nice talking to you. XxXXx

top topics

join