It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Billion Planets in our Galaxy ... at least ...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
It really took a study for that?

I mean, look at the stars, our star, and the billions of others, then look at the galaxies those make up..

Then there is us, what are we looking out at all of this from? Well, a chunk of a elements.
It should be extremely safe to assume there are TRILLIONS of chunks of elements circling TRILLIONS of gaseous fumes formed of elements.

I think this study was less for astronomers and physicists and more for the lil' people of great "faith."

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
This argument is best summed up in two parts. One in the phrase, "truth is at first ridiculed, then violently opposed, and then accepted as self-evident truth". Two is from Sagan's Contact when Dr. Hathaway appeals to Drumlin for cutting her telescope slot. She appeals that if just ONE star, in ONE galaxy, yadda yadda yadda, and he counters by saying that the distances are either too vast or all you will ever find are noble gasses and compounds.

Now fast forward to right now and the skeptics "don't say" that alien life doesn't exist anymore. Why? Because in these very few years this truth has become self-evident.

Just wait until more data flows in...it will become increasingly obvious. And when we discover warp capability, it will rewrite the books for most.

But you will still have lots of people arrogant enough to insist we are the ONLY species to have developed inter stellar flight. Haha.
And until THAT is shown false, skeptics will continue to "win" this foolish debate.
But its all good. That's how it should be. It promotes progress.

I understand your point. However, this is where we ALL need to be careful. When we throw words around like "truth" it generally (without getting into the complexity of humanities versus scientifc definitions) refers to facts, something that has been proven to be known. (and something that is true, or is truth today, can easily be changed tomorrow, with NEW knowledge, NEW Facts).

Concepts of a type of "warp" speed are only concepts at this point. I really cannot elaborate more on this only to say that it does not violate Einstein's law of relativity. If there is curiosity, additional information can be found by researching physicist Harold White and physicist Miguel Alcubierre. They and others have in fact tested the concept of hyper-speed, but I can assure you, any human use/application is not within reach in the foreseeable future (minimum 50 years). That is all I can say on that matter.

Regarding the discovery of alien life (any organic or biological substance) beyond earth? The truth is that we have not found it yet. Realistically, our most likely chance of finding life will occur either by the findings of an asteroid (either us landing an umanned device on one, or the remote chance of one entering earths atmosphere and hitting some land mass versus landing in the ocean). I am not talking about a major event, but a relatively smaller sized asteroid.

When one talks of advanced or intelligent alien life, as romantic or thrilling as that might be, the current facts have not revealed that to be true. The probability of us finding intelligent life elsewhere cannot happen until we are truly able to advance our propulsion systems (where we have made enormous advancements), but are still prohibitive of us even searching our own galaxy in a 'human-life-span' scenario. We will not solve this problem during our generations lifetime, if not, in many generations to come. How many? I don't know. However, what I can say is that there is significant efforts and expenditures that have been made and currently being made and will continue to be made in this endeavor.

The probability of finding alien intelligent life any sooner, would only be increased IF such 'intelligent life' exists and finds us first. It's what some scientists and others dreams are made of. But, the truth and facts are, it has not happened thusfar. Although I will add that there have been some interesting incidents that remain under investigation/research at our highest engineering and scientific communites/labs/locations. I am unable to add anything further.

In conclusion, a propulsion system that would allow us to travel outside the galaxy in a manned mission, does not exist, and most likely not exist during our generation (50-100 years minimum). As far as alien life, we have found neither organic/biological evidence nor have WE found Intelligent life beyond our own planet. I am talking of current terms. No one can predict the future precisely, we can only continue to improve our search capabilities and continue to understand with more clarity known unknowns. (these then, will be the truths that we have yet to find and change our currently known truths). My wish is not to convolute matters, but to add some understanding. Regards!

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   
And as an update... instead of a new thread.. seeing as the info has come from the same place (the conference)

Just seen this on the BBC...

Earth-sized planets 'number 17bn'

"We simulated all the possible configurations we could think of - and we found out that they could only account for 9.5% of Kepler planets, and all the rest are bona fide planets," Dr Fressin explained.

The results suggest that 17% of stars host a planet up to 1.25 times the size of the Earth, in close orbits lasting just 85 days or fewer - much like the planet Mercury.

That means our Milky Way galaxy hosts at least 17 billion Earth-sized planets.

www.bbc.co.uk...

17bn earth sized planets..

doesn't mean they harbour lif like ours does though..and it doesn't mean they're at the right distance from their star in order to be able to sustain life

"What's particularly interesting is four new planets - less than twice the size of Earth - that are potentially in the habitable zone, the location around a star where it could potentially have liquid water to sustain life," Dr Burke told BBC News.

One of the four, dubbed KOI 172.02, is a mere 1.5 times the size of the Earth and around a star like our own Sun - perhaps as near as the current data allow to finding an "Earth 2.0".

Our future may be bright, if we choose the right way to go about things.. Imagine finding one of those planets just so happens to be looking right back at us..

Personally, this is just a simple report to slowly introduce the idea that their is other intelligent life out there.. feed the masses with info slowly so as not to upset the apple cart.. don't want to do anything rash and bring the economy to a halt..

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Not to mention that their are billions of galaxies as well. So you do the math

I'd be willing to put a lot of money, ok $20, that their is life of some sort on pretty much every damned planet out there. We've seen life exist in places we didn't know could exist even here on Earth. From the coldest to the hottest places possible.

*Life - as in bacterial form*

Exactly. To think we're the only ones in the Universe...is absurd to say the least.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Star and flag for you OP! Great work

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

on stargazing the other night DR Brian Cox said that there was 320 billion galaxies in the visible universe

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join