It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut town to burn violent video games in wake of Sandy Hook tragedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

A Connecticut community is urging people to turn in violent video games to be destroyed. The move was prompted by the December 14 mass shooting at nearby Sandy Hook Elementary School, during which 20 children and six educators were killed.

A collection drive will take place on January 12 in the town of Southington, Connecticut, a 30-minute drive from the scene of the massacre in Newtown.

Violent video games, CDs, and DVDs will be placed in a dumpster and later burned by town employees.

"As people arrive in their cars to turn in their games of violence, they will be offered a gift certificate donated by a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce as a token of appreciation for their action of responsible citizenship," the group said in a statement.
rt.com...

is this gonna solve anything ???

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

no it wont lol while they are at it why don't they burn their books, computers,tvs ect

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
No, it won't solve anything, but it gives grieving parents some sense of control after a day where they seemingly lost control of everything, so if this makes them feel secure, I say "sure why not?"

Edit: Oh wait, I thought the actual victims were burning video games---I didn't realize (see read) that it was another community. Yeah, burning video games is just silly.

-Ghoster
edit on 4-1-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Im pretty sure burning a bunch of plastic will result in an EPA fine.

Nice to see humanity hasnt changed much since the days of flagellists.
edit on 4-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

We’ve seen all of this before:

Book burning (also biblioclasm or libricide) is the practice of destroying, often ceremoniously, books or other written material. In modern times, other forms of media, such as phonograph records, video tapes, and CDs have also been ceremoniously burned or shredded. Book burning is usually carried out in public, and is generally motivated by moral, religious, or political objections to the material.

From the 7th Century BC when Jehoiakim,King of Judah, burned part of the prophet Jeremiah's scroll, (Jeremiah 36), to the present day, the burning of books has a long history as a tool wielded by authorities both secular and religious, in efforts to suppress dissenting or heretical views that are perceived as posing a threat to the prevailing order.
Book Burning

This is a symbolic load of BS carried out by dolts.

Video games are not responsible for moral decay any more than books burnt in the past.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Yup it will bring all those people back. Hell nobody even know if Adam owned a console let along a violent video game. The problem here is mental and attacking inanament objects is stupid. Not sure why humans do that. Like if we hit our head which causes instant rage we hit whatever it is that we hit and hurt ourselves again.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Burning video games, akin to burning books as far as I'm concerned.

Political correctness run amok.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
At last!!! We found out who/what killed these children and adults......it was....itwas... THE VIDEO GAMES!! (Silence fills the room) All eyes turn to the gaming industry.....those evil evil people. Please.

spez

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Get rid of physical copies. Install steam. Everyone is happy

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This whole lame "outcry" thing going on lately totally reminds me of back in the '80's when Dungeons & Dragons and rock & roll music was being blamed for the same thing that they're now blaming on guns and violent video games.

I guess it didn't work because we still have Dungeons & Dragons and Rock & Roll.

Didn't work then, won't work now, because the problem isn't with some "thing", it's with "people", particularly the crazy ones.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This actually reminds me of Bengazi where Obama and Rice and the entire administration blamed a youtube video.

Same knee-jerk reation meant to feed the emotions of the populace yet actually solve NOTHING!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Gangs of people getting together for an ole fashion "book burning" seems pretty violent to me. Maybe a town hall discussion would be a more appropriate forum.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
That's too funny. Like that's the cause. Nor would it solve anything. it's amazing how naive people can be and most are.

top topics

join