It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CRB errors mean thousands wrongly branded as criminals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by DoorKnobEddie

If you find me offensive then I apologise I do not intend to be offensive I just call it like is see it, If I know someone is wrong about something or is lacking inciteincite I will point it out, that may come across as “abrasive”.

I know it's off-topic & not really necessary but I can't help myself...
I'm sure both the English and American dictionaries would suggest you meant "insight" and by your logic
if one can't even articulate his thoughts properly how can he know "what he's talking about"??

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
So few remain who understand what Liberty really is. Or perhaps there are only ever a few around ever.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I have had 4 CRB checks and If I remember correctly two copies are sent out, one to the employer and one to the person who the CRB is checking and there is information on it incase you think it is wrong.
Errors happen in ever single aspect of life and although I hate paying for my CRB checks I know they need to be done.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
When a security check is undertaken, a report is generated and this report is sent to the organization making the request. Surely a copy of the report should be sent to the person, the subject of the report!

Last time I had one of these done (Sept 2010), I received a copy of the actual report. I'm pretty sure this has not changed (UK Data Protection laws). What you cannot see and few employers, potential employers and agencies tell applicants, is that the police will send an accompanying 'letter' to them outlining any 'concerns' not connected to a conviction.

The Association of Chief Police Officers own and operate ACRO (criminal records office), for whom CRB checks are a right little earner.

www.acro.police.uk...
edit on 5/1/2013 by teapot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

duuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!!!
11,000?
wow, is that all?
It's like the warnings on all the pharmaceutical drugs where 6% that take them have SERIOUS side effects that are debilitating and EXTREMELY harmful.

It's ONLY 6% right?
Unless you are 1 of the 6% who's life is destroyed.
There is NOBODY WHATSOVER who's life should be thrown under the bus for profits and expediency. When it comes to peoples lives I cringe when people throw statistics out there to justify why someones life is ruined and justified with a "statistic". This is the ideal that leads us all to guilty until proven innocent.
It's the most backwards way of thinking I know and have witnessed. It's the reason why big government fails us all as it replaces sovereign rule for individuals, cities, states. A computer cannot and should NEVER replce community accountability to the people that are now commonly misrepresented in all social life from local business and politics to what we have now, a big brother mentality where the system is more important than the people it misrepresents for the sake of a statistic.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This is not a shock at all to me, infact I have been waiting for info like this to be released and I dare say it may be worse than this.

I can speak from personal experience of having non-existing charges tied to my name, and it is extremely difficult to explain to a potential employer that the offence is not an offence and by LAW does not exist but alas it's still there... on my record of "criminal activities"

Also when crimes of a certain nature or crimes of the past are supposed to be "removed" over time... that's a complete lie too nothing is ever removed. EDIT (I meant cautions)

For instance when I was at school (more than 10 years ago) I was cautioned with assault, fair enough I did it and I was in the wrong but I am not a violent person and this HAS been a flagged thing that has affected my ability to get a job. ( the lad was saying and trying to do things with my gf, things you wouldn't say or do to a grown woman and I snapped)

BTW the original caution that is fake was a caution for the possession of cannabis seeds... that were actually hemp.
When interviewed for the place I work at atm, the guy laughed uncontrollably when he saw my CRB and said that this is the best joke he's saw all year

I feel sorry for those this could/will seriously effect
edit on 5-1-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

I also agree that this could come to the US soon, I cannot help but notice the UK is often the testing area for new government systems, policies and law. So if you do use some of our systems I'd make sure they work properly and effectively first
edit on 5-1-2013 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've been Enhanced CRB checked many times since it started and there is a glaring error in my record, namely no convictions showing at all - my only 3 convictions from over 20 years ago appear to have been missed off the system, I can only assume something went wrong in the days of transferring clerical records to computer.
Needless to say I haven't contacted the authorities to point this error out

edit on 5-1-2013 by grainofsand because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

If you notice a mistake on the CRB they send you they tell you how to get it changed, I do not see a problem with this.
Mistakes happen (same name same birthdate etc) you can get this checked within 48 hours and then changed.
I wonder how many CRB checks came back wrong because the original form had mistakes on it.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by manna2

If you notice a mistake on the CRB they send you they tell you how to get it changed, I do not see a problem with this.
Mistakes happen (same name same birthdate etc) you can get this checked within 48 hours and then changed.
I wonder how many CRB checks came back wrong because the original form had mistakes on it.

Yet if the "mistake" resulted in a paedophile getting into your children's school for a spot of diddling, your tune will change.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DoorKnobEddie

Look in every aspect of life mistakes happen, no system is 100% mistake free the best we can do is make the system better and the CRB dudes will be trying to make less mistakes happen.
If a pedo wants to get to a school there are many ways to fake an identity and do it that way.
The only way they will make no mistakes is to have Iris and dna recognition...do you want to go down that route?
If you really are that bothered about it write to your MP etc bleating on ATS does nothing.
edit on 5-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

11,000 out of the millions of checks done really isn’t all that bad, it’s not fantastic but it’s to be expected.

It shouldn't even be 1 out of millions. The system should not even be in place. It is state despotism.

I wouldn't expect the British to understand, as Big Brother is constantly watching you and you all accepted it with open arms.
edit on 5-1-2013 by LewsTherinThelamon because: Today I learned the difference between accepted and excepted.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

The system should not even be in place.

Really so you think we should just let paedophiles walk into our schools and teach our kids.

You didn’t think that through did you

I admit the system is not perfect but we do need such a system to protect the venerable.

Ohhh and just so you know I do not live in a Orwellian nightmare
edit on 5-1-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

So the USA do not do background checks? lol yes they do they even do polygraph checks for certain jobs.
So the USA must have evil big brother too

Tip think before you post dude.

en.wikipedia.org...-employment_screening_in_the_U.S.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LewsTherinThelamon

I wouldn't expect the British to understand, as Big Brother is constantly watching you and you all excepted it with open arms.

Rather pathethic generalisation of 60+ million people, but hey what do I know, I'm just one Brit who didn't accept it with open arms.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

The system should not even be in place.

Really so you think we should just let paedophiles walk into our schools and teach our kids.

You didn’t think that through did you

I admit the system is not perfect but we do need such a system to protect the venerable.

No. I thought it through. Sorry if fear mongering or appeals to safety don't do it for me. People should be free, not regulated by the state. But you can't be free when you expect the state to keep you safe. You trade your responsibility to someone else, revoking your independence.

Of course the system isn't perfect. It is ludicrous to believe the state can protect anyone, their "safety" is an illusion.

I personally don't care what the paedos do. My daughter is not going to go to the state brainwashing camps. She is going to be homeschooled.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Well then how do you think we should ensure that paedophiles and criminals do not get to work in our schools or in other jobs where they could do harm.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Oh and just a quick search found many instances of background checks going wrong in the USA so do not try and make this into a UK only problem.

www.usatoday.com...

Oh and remember CRB checks are normally only done when people try to get a job working with vulnerable people.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Wow typical "screw you Jack I.m doing fine" attitude.
You don't care about pedos...................what a lovely human being you are.
Use your brain and think why we have to check (UK and the USA) it is to protect people, or do you not care about protecting people?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LewsTherinThelamon
I personally don't care what the paedos do.

Nice compassionate sentiment.

My daughter is not going to go to the state brainwashing camps. She is going to be homeschooled.

Nice, hopefully you will learn the difference between excepted and accepted (as in your earlier post) when you teach her English lol

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

So the USA do not do background checks? lol yes they do they even do polygraph checks for certain jobs.
So the USA must have evil big brother too

Tip think before you post dude.

en.wikipedia.org...-employment_screening_in_the_U.S.

I claimed we don't have background checks??

I was referring to British CCTV. That is something we do not have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join