It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl 10 dies from falling bullet on New Years Eve

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hey OP, guess what? Firing a gun into the air is illegal. Know what that means? You've driven up another article about someone NOT RESPECTING GUN LAWS, aka a CRIMINAL.

I'm so freaking tired of everyone trying to disarm us. Do you not understand what happens to citizens of developed nations after their government disarms them? Shall I recap for you?

www.factcheck.org...

-In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
-In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
-Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
-China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
edit on 4-1-2013 by mattdel because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Fri Jan 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added source

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Thank god I live in a country where people dont have to worry about getting shot at school or even that when standing outside its a possibility to get hit by bullets falling out of the sky.

What country do you live in? I'd like to verify your statement in the interest of Denying Ignorance.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'd also like to add that the terminal velocity of a bullet is not fast enough to kill. A bullet fired into the air, in order to kill someone, must still be on it's own plane of travel, IE fired at a 45 degree angle. You can make your own conclusions about the shooters state of mind with that fact. Clearly not someone educated on firearm safety, nor do they respect it for what it is.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

Well thank ya shaade!

I do think education is a huge point. Some folks need to learn that these are deadly instruments...there is no reset button...no "do over"...when you pull the trigger, it is done...there is no "un-do"....

Our local 4-H was huge. I remember 4-H camp had a 22 shooting class that I signed up for every year. It was a target shooting class. Targets were set at 20, 30 and 40 yards. it was a small star...about 5 inches across. The guns we used were single shot, rolling block rifles. It was fun stuff. I scored marksman every year...because I had been taught not only to respect the gun, but what it was capable of doing and at what ranges.

We have a totally mixed up perspective now. I appreciate...with no reservation....the defense of our second amendment rights....but...I also know...that my family expected me to respect the tool and learn everything about it before I could use it unsupervised. This is the killer I think. We need to expect people to be smart, educated and informed. I do not regret one single second of all the classes I have taken. It's not because I did not understand the tool....I simply wanted to know everything possible about said tool...it amazes me that people want this right and do not enjoy the education about the tools they are so passionate about.

It is not a horrible thing to learn something new. Yeah, sure....I sit through a few classes where I knew everything they were saying....but it was nice to be "the smart guy" in comparison to some of the other class attendants.

Teaching people what different firearms do and what they were designed for is extremely important. Teaching them to respect them....is also extremely important. I respect those that are defending the second amendment hook line and sinker...we need to do this....do not cave...but be willing to say "You are right, people need to be educated before they can own such a destructive power"....this is not a bad thing folks....
edit on 1/4/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

making guns Illegal and taking them off the streets will make it much harder for people to get guns.

Only for the law abiding people, it will still be easy for criminals to get them. So again making protecting ones family or property nearly impossible. Again we see where your loyalties lie.

Crims in the US seem to get their guns from people buying them on their behalf, people who bought them LEGALLY!!!!!

True but you are leaving out a very important part to that statement, the fact that the guns are mostly STOLEN from the person that legally purchased that gun.

Also you failed to mention some of the other ways guns get into the hands of criminals.
1. guns smuggled into the US for the sole purpose of being sold on the streets.
2. guns that go "missing" from various police evidence lockers.
3. stolen during transport from factory to retail outlets.
and im sure theres many more ways guns make it to the streets.

Most of the guns that are now Illegal were once legal and easily purchased

Actually most of the guns used are undocumented or have had their serial numbers removed a.k.a. "street guns"
edit on 1/4/2013 by Shaade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

I can say America is going to get gun control but not in a way where we will be disarm.

The citizens of this great country is an army of themselves and they know it so it would be useless to even try to make a move that they can't win.

And thats why we will continue to kill eachother off until some GREAT must take place.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just don't understand why you give a crap whether or not I own guns. It's none of your damn business. I'm a responsible gun owner and I don't know anyone who would shoot their firearm at the sky. I've had a gun to my head three times now by cowards, and I guarantee you they weren't obtained legally. Police are more willing to pull the trigger than most criminals, so I'd rather not put it in their hands (as if calling them was ever an option).

Free people shouldn't need to rely on government for safety.

This Sandy Hook situation is a terrible reason to argue against legal ownership when the weapons were obtained illegally in the first place. And ban guns because a kid died by a stray bullet? That probably happens more than you realize, but not from legal guns.

Government is a collection of elite narcissistic PEOPLE. Why do they get all the guns? Was it the blatant disregard for human life, dignity, and morality that earned them those weapons? Is that why I should listen to them tell me guns are too unsafe for civilians? Give me a break. Take control of your own life. I'm tired of listening to people that usually don't live in America anyway telling me how Americans should live their lives.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mattdel

Yep sure

You all have guns so you can fight the government

So if you feel this is even a remote possibility why arent you doing anything about it? Having a gun or 10 stashed around the house isnt gonna help you against drones and tanks if it comes to war.

The US isnt Cambodia, Uganda, Nazi Germany or Russia.

Its a western democracy and in todays age of internet accessibility it wont happen.

But sure you hang on to your guns and make sure there available everywhere for the POSSIBILITY no matter how slight youll need them against the gov.
In the mean time find a way to cope with the CERTAINTY more innocent people will die from maniacs with guns.

Im guessing you dont care as its just newspaper articles and not people you know and love

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sine.nomine
This Sandy Hook situation is a terrible reason to argue against legal ownership when the weapons were obtained illegally in the first place. And ban guns because a kid died by a stray bullet? That probably happens more than you realize, but not from legal guns.

If I recall correctly the guns used at SH were legal. Not the shooters but a family member. Secondly, this indecent was probably brought about by a legal firearm. Your point again?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Shaade

Well then I guess its a good thing that the criminals in Oz dont pose much of a threat,

They probably wouldnt pose as much of a threat in the US if they werent able to go to Wal mart and buy a gun

Great idea. I'm going to Walmart today and buying another gun. Or maybe the sporting good store at the mall. With the economy being so bad, there have been a rash of burglaries in my area. Thinking about a pistol grip shotgun under my bed.

I am very happy I live in a country where my right to defend myself and my property is acknowledged in our founding documents.

How could anyone think it's irresponsible and selfish for me to have this gun under my bed?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

True but you are leaving out a very important part to that statement, the fact that the guns are mostly STOLEN from the person that legally purchased that gun.
Also you failed to mention some of the other ways guns get into the hands of criminals.
3. stolen during transport from factory to retail outlets. and im sure theres many more ways guns make it to the streets.

First of all why would you bother smuggling guns in when they are so easily accessible, not worth the risk or financial outlay. Studies have shown this is false anyway. Plus where are the guns made? The US!!!!

Stolen from legal owners, stolen on the way to outlets they would have been sold legally
So youve just admitted most guns end up in the hands of criminals due to the fact they are so easily accessible and able to be purchased legally.

Thank you for reinforcing my point

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sconner755
Great idea. I'm going to Walmart today and buying another gun. Or maybe the sporting good store at the mall. With the economy being so bad, there have been a rash of burglaries in my area. Thinking about a pistol grip shotgun under my bed.

I am very happy I live in a country where my right to defend myself and my property is acknowledged in our founding documents.

How could anyone think it's irresponsible and selfish for me to have this gun under my bed?

I hope you don't have kids. That could turn messy really quickly. Thanks for pointing out another good example how "legal" guns could have potentially disastrous consequences, just like this one.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

So, your punishment for the 1% of people who choose not to use trigger locks and gun safes is to remove guns from the other 99% of people. Fascism much?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by mattdel

Yep sure

You all have guns so you can fight the government

So if you feel this is even a remote possibility why arent you doing anything about it? Having a gun or 10 stashed around the house isnt gonna help you against drones and tanks if it comes to war.

The US isnt Cambodia, Uganda, Nazi Germany or Russia.

Its a western democracy and in todays age of internet accessibility it wont happen.

But sure you hang on to your guns and make sure there available everywhere for the POSSIBILITY no matter how slight youll need them against the gov.
In the mean time find a way to cope with the CERTAINTY more innocent people will die from maniacs with guns.

Im guessing you dont care as its just newspaper articles and not people you know and love

How do you feel about alcohol? Nobody needs alcohol. Its only use is to get people drunk. Alcohol kills many more than guns each year - by direct overdose, by getting run over by someone who is drunk, etc... it's strictly for entertainment but it kills thousands yearly.

Are you in favor of banning all alcoholic beverages so we can save lives?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GMan420

How do you feel about alcohol? Nobody needs alcohol. Its only use is to get people drunk. Alcohol kills many more than guns each year - by direct overdose, by getting run over by someone who is drunk, etc... it's strictly for entertainment but it kills thousands yearly. Are you in favor of banning all alcoholic beverages so we can save lives?

SIGH

Alcohol isnt designed to kill people
Guns are

Do you not realise how stupid and childish the "lets ban knives, Alcohol, Cars, Doctors etc etc" argument comes across:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

reply to post by GMan420

How do you feel about alcohol? Nobody needs alcohol. Its only use is to get people drunk. Alcohol kills many more than guns each year - by direct overdose, by getting run over by someone who is drunk, etc... it's strictly for entertainment but it kills thousands yearly. Are you in favor of banning all alcoholic beverages so we can save lives?

SIGH

Guns are

Do you not realise how stupid and childish the "lets ban knives, Alcohol, Cars, Doctors etc etc" argument comes across:

Do you realize how stupid and childish it is to assume that gun crime will go down if you take them away from law abiding owners? The facts are out there. Crime goes UP in nations that take them away from law abiding citizens. History repeats itself. It's naive to think otherwise.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaade

3. stolen during transport from factory to retail outlets. and im sure theres many more ways guns make it to the streets.

First of all why would you bother smuggling guns in when they are so easily accessible, not worth the risk or financial outlay. Studies have shown this is false anyway. Plus where are the guns made? The US!!!!

Theres alot of money in guns. Stolen in other countries, smuggled into the US, instant and easy money. Also I bet you didnt know that the largest arms dealer in the world is the US gov.

Stolen from legal owners, stolen on the way to outlets they would have been sold legally
So youve just admitted most guns end up in the hands of criminals due to the fact they are so easily accessible and able to be purchased legally.

the operative word here is STOLEN, meaning ILLEGALLY OBTAINED guns, instantly making all such guns illegal by the very definition of the word.

Thank you for reinforcing my point

I didnt but your above quoted statement certainly enforces my observations of you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

You still havn't told us what country it is you live in where you don't have to fear being gunned-down in school or having a bullet fall out on the sky and kill you. Are you going to answer this or are you being facetious? And if the latter would you like to choose a country that most reflects your utopian preference?

edit on 4-1-2013 by jtma508 because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by GMan420

SIGH

Guns are

I'll agree with cars (useful to drive us around), knives (useful in the kitchen and such), and doctors (useful for obvious reasons). Not alcohol.

Alcohol is designed to entertain. To get people messed up. Period. Nothing more. It has no USEFUL purpose. None. Yet it kills more than guns and we allow people to still consume it. How can you justify turning a blind eye towards alcohol (something with no use other than to get you messed up) and still get upset about guns (something with many uses).

I don't believe this comes across stupid or childish at all. Ignoring the fact that you're fine with a substance that has no real use other than to mess you up and kills thousands every year is childish and stupid IMHO.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GMan420

Or this from the CDC:

Cigarettes and Death

Cigarette smoking causes about 1 of every 5 deaths in the United States each year.1,6 Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following:1
• 443,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke)
• 49,400 deaths per year from secondhand smoke exposure
• 269,655 deaths annually among men
• 173,940 deaths annually among women

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join