You see this picture...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If you opened a newspaper or a magazine and you saw a picture of Jesus with a caption that read "DIRTY JEW", what would you think?

There was a thread with a link to the story on this, which I will not include here. If you didn't know what the story was, or for what purpose this picture was printed, what would be your initial reaction?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
My first thought would be....

"Oh snap, edsinger's gonna be pissed!"

Actually, it would be more along the lines of "more religious )$*&!?"

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I would probably be sickened that the media of any kind would print that. I would hope that it would be a mistake, and that wasn't there intention to print it.

I'm a Christian so I would be a little biased.

Besides, Jesus was baptized a Christian

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wait a second...

I'm no biblical scholar or anything...but how was Jesus baptized a Christian? Didn't Christianity start after his death?

Again, not an expert, but I always thought Jesus was Jewish, as well as his whole family...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Can I just ask this severely off topic question?...

How in hell would it be possible for Christ to be baptised a Christian?!!!!

This has got to be the MOTHER of all oxymorons. Really. Come on, guys, we can do better...

[edit on 26-10-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah, he invented Christianity, right, so he could not be a baptized Christian.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Can I just ask this severely off topic question?...

How in hell would it be possible for Christ to be baptised a Christian?!!!!

[edit on 26-10-2004 by DeltaChaos]

Christ was not baptized as a christian - he was baptized to "wash away his sins." The washing away of sins was a little fad started by John the Baptist (who interesting enough was also thought to be the messiah at one time).

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yes. Thank you Bleys. Now that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
1) Jesus was born a Jew-fact-like it or not.
2) jesus was babtised by Joun the babtist-fact.

So if one hates Jews, they must hate Jesus too-now thats funny stuff-IMO.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niclas

How could he have invented it?
The religion is based on his life and teachings not something that he created
Furthermore, Christianity was "invented" after he died not while he was living sure he had followers but they were Jews

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

When did this become such a point of conflict for christians?

BTW DC - What was the context of the Dirty Jew/picture of Christ all about?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
2) jesus was babtised by Joun the babtist-fact.

So if one hates Jews, they must hate Jesus too-now thats funny stuff-IMO.

Rofl, well I'd call the paper racist, but being a pagan I wouldn't be religiously offended.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I will said whao more religious propaganda, and then I will be interested in all those people that don't even know that jesus is a jew as what they will say, " Jesus not white and a Jew" hummmmm I wonder.

They will tell you "the world is coming to an end"

[edit on 033131p://222 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

How could he have invented it?
The religion is based on his life and teachings not something that he created
Furthermore, Christianity was "invented" after he died not while he was living sure he had followers but they were Jews

Well, Jesus had a mission as a savior so in a way he invented it. But of course he was a jew.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Well, Jesus had a mission as a savior so in a way he invented it. But of course he was a jew.

I was assuming that by using the word "invented" it inferred the setting up of all the rituals, etc. that are used by the religion--this Jesus did not do, it was done after his death

However, you are also right in saying that in a way he did invent it because of what he did during his life

you could argue either point forever

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Sorry folks, just a simply typing error. I meant that I am a christian and Christ was baptized by John the Baptist.

My mistake.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

you could argue either point forever

Yeah, that's true, I guess it's another debate. Who knows Jesus' exact intensions or God's if you like, and what came from Old Testament and so on? The mere rites of Christianity were created after his death, like you said.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The followers of Christ were first called 'Christians' in Antioch according to the Acts of the Apostles. It was during the time of Paul's visit and since the original Apostles were also alive at the time, it goes without saying that the time frame between Christ's death and the first followers gaining the name 'Christians' was of a relatively short duration.

And when he had found him (Paul), he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
Acts, 11:26

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by W_HAMILTON
My first thought would be....

"Oh snap, edsinger's gonna be pissed!"

Actually, it would be more along the lines of "more religious )$*&!?"

Yup I would be, just like the 'gay' Jesus crap and the Jesus in piss painting. Word of notice though, just what would happen if it was Mohammad? Now that would NEVER happen as that would be discrimination.

Originally posted by Lecky
Wait a second...

I'm no biblical scholar or anything...but how was Jesus baptized a Christian? Didn't Christianity start after his death?

Again, not an expert, but I always thought Jesus was Jewish, as well as his whole family...

Jesus was Baptised, but was not a Christian so to speak, he was the fufillment of Judism, as foretold in many books. Christianity was a name for the groups that worshiped God's Son, early Christians probably did not call themselves that at all.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
BTW DC - What was the context of the Dirty Jew/picture of Christ all about?

Additional caption, on next page says "What if anti-semitism were everybody's business". It has been put in newspapers in France.

Personally, I don't see the point. I think this is going to go right over the heads of most people, causing confusion. However, with the large Muslim population in France, who are likey to misunderstand the sentiment behind this campaign, they might just have reason to agree with the initial statement, and whack some Jews there, too. You never know.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join