It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aristotle sex manual banned for 200 years to be auctioned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I love ancient scientific texts. I have several antique technical and medical books in my personal collection.

SOURCE

An early manual on sex and pregnancy banned from sale in the UK for more than 200 years will go under the hammer this month.

The book is thought to have served as a reference guide for amateur midwives and young married couples and includes dire warnings about the possible consequences of extra-marital sex.

Aristotle's Compleat Master-Piece first appeared around 1680 and sets out various ideas on sexual relationships and how to conceive.

It was banned in the mid-18th century and remained a forbidden text until the prohibition was lifted in the 1960s.

An edition printed in the 1760s is expected to fetch up to £400 when it goes on sale at Edinburgh auction house Lyon and Turnbull.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

I like the advice in the 1930's newspaper column mentioned in the OP link:

A cutting from 1930s' newspaper advice column is said to have included a question from a reader asking where a copy of the book could be obtained.

Apparently contradicting itself, the reply stated: ''You may not buy a copy of Aristotle's Complete Masterpiece. You may expect to pay three-and-sixpence.''
I guess bans don't really work too well.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I though most humans already knew how to conceive..or not to ..
...would have been nice if it had super freaky Gothic pictures in them as well.:
edit on 4-1-2013 by shapur because: Love your avatar by the way,looks like someone is asking her can i eat you! and she says,nooomm.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Wow. Very interesting. I never knew such a book existed. I hope they get it reprinted.

Thx for sharing.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shapur
I though most humans already knew how to conceive..or not to ..
People knew how to conceive, but they needed the manual to tell them important "facts" they might not otherwise know, like, if they had sex outside of marriage, the offspring might be some kind of freak as punishment for their sin. "Siamese twins" was one example mentioned in the OP link.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So I better have a second thought about having an affair with my ex,i might end up with a couple of Siamiese!....Talking about off springs!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I hope the GOOGLE Books project is going to scan this book into their digital library,
for the whole world to search via the internet, ...whenever they want to.

Does anybody know why this book was banned for 200 years?

Hopefully, what was one hidden will become clear for all to see.

Freedom Rules !

edit on 4-1-2013 by QMask because: (no reason given)

top topics

join