It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan reveals 'Hayabusa2' asteroid mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hayabusa2 to clarify the origin and evolution of the solar system as well as life matter

Full Article

Asteroid Explorer “Hayabusa2” is a successor of “Hayabusa” (MUSES-C), which revealed several new technologies and returned to Earth in June 2010. While establishing a new navigation method using ion engines, Hayabusa brought back samples from the asteroid “Itokawa” to help elucidate the origin of the solar system. Hayabusa2 will target a C-type asteroid “1999 JU3” to study the origin and evolution of the solar system as well as materials for life by leveraging the experience acquired from the Hayabusa mission. To learn more about the origin and evolution of the solar system, it is important to investigate typical types of asteroids, namely S-, C-, and D-type asteroids.

Hayabusa2 will utilize new technology while further confirming the deep space round-trip exploration technology by inheriting and improving the already verified knowhow established by Hayabusa to construct the basis for future deep-space exploration.

Hayabusa2 is scheduled for launch in 2014. It should arrive at the C-type asteroid in mid 2018, staying around there for one and half years before leaving the asteroid at the end of 2019 and returning to Earth around the end of 2020.

This is fascinating, another step closer to understanding how our solar system originated.

They don't have a very good record with planetary exploration. Their missions to Mars (Nozomi)and Venus (Akatsuki) have failed and the first Hayabusa probe suffered problems with its ion engines and it's sample collection device. It only managed to return a few grains of asteroid material to the Earth. Hopefully they are successful with this mission.

edit on 1/4/2013 by mcx1942 because: fix

edit on 1/4/2013 by mcx1942 because: fix

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Great story!
Thanks for posting. (S and F.)

I am becoming very interested in this sort of stuff.

Question:
What are S-, C-, and D-type asteroids?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by QMask

Hello, thank you for replying. about the types.:

There are three basic types of asteroids:

1 C: they are carbonaceous---made of silicate materials with a lot of carbon compounds so they appear very dark. They reflect only 3 to 4% of the sunlight hitting them. You can tell what they are made of by analyzing the spectra of sunlight reflecting off of them. This reflectance spectra shows that they are primitive, unchanged since they first solidified about 4.6 billion years ago. A sizable fraction of the asteroids are of this type. The asteroid called Mathilde, explored by the NEAR spacecraft is an example of this type

2 S: they are made of silicate materials without the dark carbon compounds so they appear brighter than the C types. They reflect about 15 to 20% of the sunlight hitting them. Most of them appear to be primitive and they make up a smaller fraction of the asteroids than the C types. Gaspra and Ida, explored by the Galileo spacecraft on its way to Jupiter, and Eros, orbited by the NEAR spacecraft for a year, are examples of this type

3 M: they are made of metals like iron and nickel. These rare type of asteroids are brighter than the S and C types. We think they are the remains of the cores of differentiated objects. Large objects were hot enough in the early solar system so that they were liquid. This allowed the dense materials like iron and nickel to sink to the center while the lighter material like ordinary silicate rock floated up to the top. Smaller objects cooled off quicker than larger objects, so they underwent less differentiation. In the early solar system, collisions were much more common and some of the differentiated large asteroids collided with one another, breaking them apart and exposing their metallic cores.
Full Article/Source

Hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Thank you, mcx1942 !!

That was very informative.

I can now see why the asteroids are classified like that. (C, S and M)

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think they should be spending that money to clear up thats mess known as fukushima

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yeah, I would imagine that may be up there on their priorities but I know little about Japan in general.

I just saw this article and thought it was cool and decided to share it here. What about Japan's black ops projects, I am sure there is someone somewhere that has ideas as to alternatives of this mission.

jra

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Development of Hayabusa 2 started back in 2010, before the Fukushima disaster. There is no reason why both, this project and the clean-up efforts, can't be funded at the same time.
edit on 4-1-2013 by jra because: changed a word

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
New technologies have teething problems.....
I am glad to see the japanese in the position to add to the space exploration knowledge base, without weaponising
every promising technology....
I find overall, that Japans endeavours are a good example of peaceful space developement.
Compared to other strategies,.........
We need fresh minds and mindsets to overcome the biggest problems.....
No one nation is going to put humanity up there to stay.........
I hope other countries will begin to make their own attempts in space as well....
Certainly private industry is preparing iself to enter space....
I believe that untill we have manufacturing and research labd out there,
progress will be hindered.....but should we get to produce materials in zero gravity, well even the sky aint the limit.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Agreed, it is very cool to see a different way being explored in our solar system. It is very ambitious and I am very impressed how far they have come. I will definitely be following this over the next few years. This same technology could be used for possible Near Earth Objects, used as a way to push the trajectory. Like Apophis:

Gerald's report on Apophis: After 3.8 years of observations, we project that Apophis will pass by (and miss) the Earth by about 23,600 miles on April 13 (yeah—Friday the 13th) 2029 (in case you want to plan a party). Then, Apophis will revisit the Earth's vicinity on April 13th (not a Friday) 2036.

And here's the meat of the deal with Apophis: if its trajectory on the 2029 flyby is anywhere near what is predicted, then there is no chance at all that it will hit us in 2036. There is only a small chance that within the range of uncertainty the 2029 passage will aim Apophis for a 2036 impact with Earth–but the probability of that are calculated at less than 0.002%. That's roughly the same probability as drawing a straight flush right off the top of the deck (to you non-poker-players, the odds of that are about 72,000 to 1).
source

So even though Apophis will in all likelihood miss us, we will have technology by then to get the job done.
edit on 1/5/2013 by mcx1942 because: fix

new topics

top topics

join