Good news, Yes, there is such a thing.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
All we really seem to see is bad news. We are bombarded with it. It sells. Well,there are good people out there doing good things. They just don't fit the agenda for the media because violence sells. Let's try to mix some good news with the bad news on ATS. It is a healthy exercise to mix it up. So find some good news and post it.
Here are a few.

Secret Santa Calls Walmart and Gives $10,000 to Pay Off Store's Layaways
Delicious Reddit
DECEMBER 23, 2012
An anonymous ‘Secret Santa’ donor called the local Walmart store there and requested to pay for all customer purchases that have been put on hold pending full payment. The donor gave the store a $10,000 check.

Mystery Tycoon Hands Out $100 Bills to New York's Hurricane Victims
Delicious Reddit
NOVEMBER 30, 2012
A wealthy Missouri man posing as 'Secret Santa' stunned New Yorkers on Thursday, handing $100 bills to many in Staten Island who had lost everything to Superstorm Sandy. The Kansas City businessman is giving away $100,000 this holiday season, and spent the day in New Jersey and New York giving away thousands.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I suspected this thread would go nowhere. At least Google good news and read some occasionally. There really is a lot out there. I promise it won't hurt you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
What a great thread! Here is one that I love from a few days ago

Lawyer moves back in with mother and loans house to homeless family for a year

This guy was inspired by his father who he says was an incredibly giving person, often allowing people to stay in their spare room. He saw this family being split apart and in need, so he moved back with his mom and let the family move into his $400,000 home. You just don't hear stories about lawyers like this one.

I like what he said in the article, it reinforces what you are saying in your OP.

'Kindness creates kindness,' he told CBS. 'Generosity creates generosity. Love creates love. 'I think if we can share some of that and have more stories about people doing nice things for other people, and fewer stories about people doing horrible things to other people, that's a better world.'

~OkieDokie

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
We should all have a dose of good news daily. Like a vitamin. It is good to supplement to all that bad news you will be bombarded with. Happy hunting!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Thank you for restoring my faith in Humanity, even for just one day.

s&f

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I wish i could take the credit. That belongs to those who do the good deeds.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I always tell my husband that I wanted to start a good news only network. It's inspiring and when you hear more good, you do more good.

Well, I just googled "good news networks", and there already are a few, but here are a couple links anyway. They stole my idea!

www.goodnewsnetwork.org...
www.happynews.com...

We should see more of these stories more often. Something in our brain just loves doom and gloom though. I wonder why.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The most prevalent news is bad news, celebrity news, and occasional "cute" news stories interjected in-between. People turn on their tvs every day & are hit with a slew of it.

Even ATS focuses on the bad news; but at-least in this case there's an open platform for discussion, where most of us can inspect information & deduce the implications. The upside of this being a conspiracy forum allows for generally accepted (and debated) conjecture. In some ways the bad news is necessary to understand what exactly is happening in the world, how we can fix it, or try at least grasp the reality of it all.

Good news for me is scouring science/technology websites daily, and discovering new developments. Whether it be computing technology, medical advances, nanotech in general, bionics, physics, clean/renewable/free energy. That's my favorite type of good news. =}

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Thanks jimmiec, fictitious, and okiedokie for sharing those stories and links. I love that kind of news.

There are a lot more good people than bad out there. We tend to think otherwise because of what we see on t.v day in and day out. I think it's for ratings to be honest.

I prefer to see the good than the bad meself. Like that lawyer mentioned above says, love creates more love, so in turn hate creates more hate. I'll stick with the love!
edit on 4-1-2013 by Cherry0 because: forgot something

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
All we really seem to see is bad news. We are bombarded with it. It sells. Well,there are good people out there doing good things. They just don't fit the agenda for the media because violence sells. Let's try to mix some good news with the bad news on ATS. It is a healthy exercise to mix it up. So find some good news and post it.
Here are a few.

Secret Santa Calls Walmart and Gives $10,000 to Pay Off Store's Layaways
Delicious Reddit
DECEMBER 23, 2012
An anonymous ‘Secret Santa’ donor called the local Walmart store there and requested to pay for all customer purchases that have been put on hold pending full payment. The donor gave the store a $10,000 check.

Mystery Tycoon Hands Out $100 Bills to New York's Hurricane Victims
Delicious Reddit
NOVEMBER 30, 2012
A wealthy Missouri man posing as 'Secret Santa' stunned New Yorkers on Thursday, handing $100 bills to many in Staten Island who had lost everything to Superstorm Sandy. The Kansas City businessman is giving away $100,000 this holiday season, and spent the day in New Jersey and New York giving away thousands.

Welcome to the Age of Aquarius!!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
With reality TV shows being all the rage, i wonder why they have not created a reality show that focuses on helping those in need. Sort of like the old Candid Camera show. They could find plenty of people that need help. They would never run out of those. We see shows that remodel houses for people in need. That is good for sure, but how about they get out there and show America some real help. I have some ideas but would like to hear from you. What type of help would make good TV? Maybe someone in Hollywood will pick up on your idea and create such a show. Maybe Al Gore should have turned his TV station into "The good news network" instead of selling it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Good news indeed but have you ever wondered why it is that we as a society only help each other when theres a huge tragedy? If it were as simple as a flat tire then no one seems to care.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
If I have a well-paying job when I am an adult, I would like to do the same things these people are doing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Edgar806

I generally agree. However, i live in a small town and see good deeds here. When it gets cold someone helps the elderly with their electric bill if they fall behind. They don't say who is paying them, anonymous charity IMO is the sincerest. I have posed the same question to myself recently. We don't seem to go out of our way to help others. It is only when the needy are in our face that we react and help. A few weeks ago a man pulled up beside my car as i was eating lunch. I rolled the window down and he said he was from out of state and had taken a job here but had not gotten his first paycheck and asked for money for food for his family. I gave him $20. I only did it because i was confronted with it. I could'nt really afford to but it felt good. I have resolved to do my best to do at least one good deed a day now. Conciously. That means i have to pay attention and look for someone who needs help. It is actually a selfish act to help others, the feeling you get is better than any drug could ever make you feel.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Meridian woman donates kidney to stranger

BOISE - Would you be willing to give a part of your body away to save someone you've never met?
Shannon Martin of Meridian did just that. A man she saw on TV needed help, and she came to his rescue without a second thought.

More here. Including video.

www.ktvb.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Wow, now that is giving! I can't honestly say that i would not jump at the chance. I however am a bit biased in this case. I dated a girl that donated a kidney to someone she did not know. The hospital screwed it up royally and did not practice due diligence in the case and it turned out to not be compatible with his blood. His body rejected it and he died a few months later. Her husband was not consulted about her donating a kidney and they divorced over it. But that is me, and only because of this personal story. I must applaud her for her caring. She must be an extraordinary individual.

There are actually small things we can do to help others too. Even if you are poor. Visit the old folks home in your area. Got a puppy? Take the puppy in for them to enjoy. You can make an elderly persons week by just showing up and talking to them. Check the bulletin board there too. You can do more than you think you can.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Tearing up a little here,

Just have to send out what love I have in my heart to those that give theirs to others.

I love you all and thank you for this thread and bringing this positive view of the world to my attention.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Awsome! I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to teach our children at a young age what that feeling of helping others is. Once they feel it they might crave it. There are certainly worse addictions. How do you think we could go about doing that in our public schools without them feeling forced into helping others? If they feel forced into it i doubt it would take hold. Ideas?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by InhaleExhale

Awsome! I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to teach our children at a young age what that feeling of helping others is. Once they feel it they might crave it. There are certainly worse addictions. How do you think we could go about doing that in our public schools without them feeling forced into helping others? If they feel forced into it i doubt it would take hold. Ideas?

It's funny because we are constantly doing fundraisers at our school--for the school. Every once in a while there is a canned food drive, but let's be serious, people are only bringing in things that no one wants to eat or is nearly expired in their pantries. You are so right, empathy for others SHOULD be taught in the schools in a bigger way.

I'll tell you what we do with our kids. My husband and I, for the past 6 years or so, make Thanksgiving plates. We make about 5 or 6, large plates, with all of the sides, a plate of desserts, and put them in a bag with salt & pepper, napkins, bottled water and juice boxes, and the kids write a letter or draw a picture for each one. After we have dinner and after it has gotten dark, we drive to downtown Denver and hand them out to the homeless. Last year, we brought used sleeping bags, coats (men & womens), new thick mens socks, and a $5 gift card for McDonalds, so they can go in and at least have a $1 sandwich or 5 trips in for coffee to get warm, something for after the food is gone. Our kids ALWAYS come with us. They hand them the food, we talk to them for a little while, and we go on our way. You would be amazed at how thin the line is between homeless and not. Some people just have bad luck in a bad economy. I have never met a "crazy" homeless person or a dangerous one. People always think we're nuts or even bad parents for bringing our kids out to the streets to do this, but we always judge the safety as best we can, and nothing bad has ever happened. In fact... want a nice story?

When we went last year, we ran out of plates quickly. Usually, we were hard-pressed to find people to give the food to. Last year, we didn't have enough plates, so we ran down to the McDonald's and got a couple of gift cards for these two men, because we felt bad that they saw us handing out food and didn't have anything for them. They were very grateful and talked with us and the kids and when we got back with the gift cards, they couldn't believe we actually showed up. The one guy had two McDonald's coupon for a free happy meal and gave them to our kids. I insisted he didn't, but he insisted. He wanted to make sure that when our kids had those happy meals, they would remember him. He said that McDonald's wouldn't let him redeem them anyway, because he wasn't a child, even though he was homeless. Anyway, he wanted the kids to remember him and to remember that there is good everywhere, you just have to look for it, just as we had showed him kindness that night. We gave him the cards and his brother a coat and he a sleeping bag. When we got back to our car, I cried at how good it made us feel and how much good WE saw that night in OTHERS.

Our children are raised to understand that the life we have NOW is good, but we work hard for it and sometimes even if you work hard for it, you can lose it in the blink of an eye. We don't turn our heads and look away from plight, rather we see it, do what we can for it, and appreciate that we aren't in that situation NOW, but anything could happen, you just never know.

Sadly, Denver passed a law that basically makes it illegal to be homeless, because sleeping on the streets is considered overnight camping. Because of this, we aren't able to do the thanksgiving plates as much, simply because the homeless have been sent packing. I did see a couple in a bus stop enclosure yesterday, and that was a first in a while. I'm not down there enough, but since they law came into effect, it definitely has cleared out the homeless population and made helping them harder.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

That is a great story and you and your husband are great parents. I have no doubt your children will remember those times and be caring/giving adults. The fact that you took them into the trench's so to speak is the key i believe. Unless we see the needs of others face to face we largely ignore it. It does not make us bad people. It is just a defense mechanism that we are all saddled with. I know schools have fund raisers but i think they need to come face to face with those in need and see/feel the need somehow. Done as a group/class it somehow loses it's impact. You obviously have a good head on your shoulders. Maybe you could think about it and come up with a way that our schools could do more to make the impact that our children and society needs. You know the feeling i am talking about. It would probably have to be shocking to get that impact needed.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join