It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about discussing old topics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Ok firstly please don’t try to be ironically funny by either telling me to go and use search or shutting down this thread because it’s been discussed in the past.

I have a question, and I only seek an answer not a debate.

Earlier on today I saw a thread in the 9/11 forum which has been very quiet lately the content of the thread is not really important it was just a video. Anyway as I was reading through the thread I noticed a few members pointing out that the video had already been posted in the past and snidely suggested that OP use the search function.

When I had finished writing out a post for the aforementioned thread I hit “post” and ended up with that line that basically says that the thread has been shut down. The reason it had been shut down was because it had already been discussed on ATS…. almost 2 years ago.

So my question is this, how long is it before we can start bringing up old topics and re-creating old threads, I mean I was not even a member the first time this video was discussed and was looking forward to getting involved in a 9/11 thread as there haven’t really been any good ones in quite some time. Is it possible for example that ATS would consider a 1 year rule, where by if it’s been posted in the last year then it gets removed.

I personally don’t see any problem with this, if anything it just slightly increases the traffic and gives us newbies something to discuss.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Generally, if you have no new content to add, there is no need for a new thread.

It can be 5 years old. If you plan on having the same conversation, with the same set of facts then the most appropriate place to continue said conversation is within the original thread.

Now if you post a video that was posted a few years ago that includes new commentary, insight, investigation etc...then yes, repost.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The thing is, reposts can clog the forum up with the same thing over and over. But sometimes videos get posted under different titles, and it can be difficult to not have reposts because of this. It's of no real fault of posters, it's just one of them things innit. Mods are in a bit of a catch 22 aswell, as maybe the subject hasn't been discussed for months/years and another thread wouldn't do any harm, but other posters will jump on the "pearoast" bandwagon and create a job for the mods to close the thread and redirect you to another thread on the topic.

It's loose loose for the mods, but it's just kind of how it is. It's the internet, don't worry about it

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ahhh ok fair enough I can understand that.

Thanks for letting me know I was just looking for some clarification.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I'd suggest that if the thread is churning along with some good discussion and new information, and the vid is well over a year old, that it let itself play out before bringing down the gavel. Imagine if the internet were 200 years old, and somebody had already posted Lincoln's Gettysburg address just after it "aired". Sometimes it's just time for another go around.

top topics

join