It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Why "Assault" Versions Should Be Banned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT PENCILS, NOT GUNS

Who needs a stock, grip, forward grip, laser and light? Just ridiculous...

edit on 4-1-2013 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Guns are Guns.
They are meant to kill oops....defend.
Edit:
PENCILS are pencils.
They are meant to write.
edit on 4-1-2013 by shivaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Not sure if the OP really thinks that guns should be banned but I'll respond as though thats the premise.

A so called "assault" weapon is no different than the majority of guns. 1 trigger pull results in the discharge of 1 bullet.

I'm against gun control/confiscations/people control. Not sure what the so called "assault" weapon ban would accomplish. Banning weapons that look "bad" but are functionally the same as every other gun makes no sense.

Proven time and again, gun confiscations do nothing to stop violent crime, often times resulting in higher crime rates.

edit on 4-1-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I have an image of a pencil and an assault pencil in my OP. In the jokes forum.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
Guns are Guns.
They are meant to kill oops....defend.
Pencils are one of the means that a person can use to assert their First Amendment rights.

Guns are the tools that allow you to presume that you have any constitutional rights.

The Constitution is nothing more than idea, words on paper...If we do not have people and the means to protect it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That second one looks like it could really throw some lead!

Just wanted to say I prefer the "number two" ammo and was wondering do you know if
the assault version comes equuipped with the attached sharpener accessory, or did you
get that after-market?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

The sharpener can't be bought at the same time as the assault pencil, the law is that you can own the sharpener attachment if you pay for it in a state you won't use it in, collect it in a state you won't ever take it back to and you can't use it within 700 miles of a person.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I'd appreciate it if any member could hook me up with some hollowpoint ammo for my 0.9 mm Papermate.

I use it for my CC pencil. I carry a mini- Sharpie as a backup.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Good on you for exercising your first amendment right in public!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So am I correct in assuming this thread is about pencils and not guns

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Dispo

I'd appreciate it if any member could hook me up with some hollowpoint ammo for my 0.9 mm Papermate.

The Mini Sharpie is a good choice for back-up, but does not perform under tactical situations.

Also, it is a matter of personal choice but the .9mm Papermate cartridges are too hard to find
and if TSHTF I think you'd be better of with the Pentel Super Hi-Polymer Lead Refill in 0.5 mm.
(I'm not saying the Papermate cartridge isn't a good choice, but for availability I'd go with
the Pentel .5mm or maybe the Bic in .7mm)

I own both the Pentel and the Papermate and have never had a problem with either of them jamming.
I sold my Bic to an individual because it kept mis-quoting out of context and and other problems...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

What gave you that idea?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
I sold my Bic to an individual because it kept mis-quoting out of context and and other problems...

That's dangerous and irresponsible... You can't just sell on a pencil which you know is faulty. What happens when the poor person you sold it to needs it for a situation and it mis-quotes on him?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

some one beat you to it friend.

10 Reasons to Ban Pens and Pencils in the Classroom
November 26, 2010 | 10:01 AM | By Anthony Iton, MD, JD, MPH

According to a recent MSNBC article, 69% of high school currently ban cell phones. But you’d be hard-pressed to find a school anywhere that has enacted a blanket ban on pens and pencils. Here are 10 reasons to reconsider the widespread acceptance of these distracting and potentially dangerous implements.

Pens and pencils are distracting. The tapping, clicking, flipping and rolling can drive just about any teacher around the bend. I remember a happy indoor recess spent throwing newly sharpened pencils at the classroom ceiling trying to make them stick.

Writing implements are dangerous. I still have a small lump of lead imbedded in the soft, fleshy area between my thumb and pointer finger. It’s a souvenir from a mini-sword fight that occurred between my close friend and I in third grade. She won.

Pens can be used to cheat. Now that I’m at the head of a classroom instead of behind a desk, I’ve seen some ingenious cheating techniques. One student managed to write an entire history of media studies on the bottom of their shoe. I’ve also found forearms covered with vocabulary words, ankles tattooed with definitions, and hands dyed with smeared blue ink.

They are incredibly messy. Dusty pencil shavings litter the floor in many elementary classrooms and pens filled with liquid ink are just disasters waiting to happen. Have you ever tried to clean a child’s backpack after a pen broke at the bottom of the bag? No amount of scrubbing can get the dye completely out.

Pens and pencils can be used to bully kids. Those notes that pass from hand to hand across the rows of desks are often far more sinister than they appear. Thanks to the ubiquitous use of writing implements in schools, kids have free reign to write and distribute messages that use offensive language and hateful speech. Recent high-profile cases of student bullying are just the latest examples of why we must crack down on these communication tools.

Kids will just use them to play games. Hangman, Tic-Tac-Toe, word searches, crosswords, and now the latest craze: Sudoko. How can any student be expected to keep their mind on lessons when there are so many tempting distractions just a pen stroke away?

Fancy pens and pencils will cause jealousy and other problems. I remember in fifth grade when the girl who sat across from me came to school with a brand new pack of orange, sparkly pens that wrote in neon ink. Her father had brought them back as a souvenir from a recent trip to Florida. They were the coolest and I wanted them, but they were too expensive for me to just go out and buy. Wouldn’t it be better to nip those kinds of issue in the bud by instituting a widespread ban on pens in schools.

There are health concerns that can lead to bad habits. I think part of the reason I wore braces for six years stemmed from my lifelong habit of chewing pens and pencils. All that chomping in class had to affect my dental hygiene.

They lead to sedentary behavior. Have you ever seen a child running with a sharpened pencil? Or, writing a note while playing kickball? Writing and exercise don’t mix. The obesity crises is reaching epic levels. Let’s get pens and pencils out of our kid’s pudgy hands so they can get moving.

They can be used to embarrass teachers. Sure, no teacher wants to see their goofs show up on YouTube, but a skillfully done caricature can do as much or more damage than photos or video. At least cameras and video capture actual events, when students are given free reign to create images, text or stories about their teachers, there’s no limit to the damage they can do.

Let’s hope this blog post helps open people’s eyes to the danger of pens and pencils in schools. It’s high time someone spoke out in support of a ban on such hazardous tools.

blogs.kqed.org...

I agree, we should ban these sharpened lead tipped stakes we use around minors.

edit on 4-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Normal pencils are perfectly fine and many people are trained responsibly in their use. I for one, would not ever use one to draw a caricature, even as a joke. The author of that blog calls pencils dangerous - I disagree, she was playing around with them to impress a girl, that's how accidents happen.

I'm not calling for a blanket ban on pencils, only the dangerous assault pencils which no citizen has any business using. Stocks and grips add nothing to the responsible use of pencils, they exist to make the pencil more controllable and comfortable during extended use, attachments like laser guides and flashlights are unnecessary for home writing and wilderness journal keeping situations, and serve only to make it easier to misuse the pencil.

Don't even get me started on extended lead loaders...

Edit: I love it when people take stuff like this seriously.

Teishadel • a year ago

Then what are you going to have them write with ? There bloody finger tips or crayons? Why your at it ban scissors and then might as well get rid of the economic home classes and art classes. I understand they can be dangerous and all but seriously? Over half the things kids come in contact with on a daily basis is dangerous. Why not focus on the problems kids have and why they make these things dangerous? Its not the objects its the person themselves.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

oh man, there is more. I cant even believe it.

Doug Johnson's Tech Proof

A Proposal for
Banning Pencils

Ex abusu non arguitur in usum.
(The abuse of a thing is no argument against its use.)

When it comes to "technology" use in schools, every responsible educator's first concerns should be student safety and educational suitability. I am suggesting that we ban one of the most potentially harmful technologies of all -- the pencil. We must eliminate them from schools because:

A student might use a pencil to poke out the eye of another student.
A student might write a dirty word or, worse yet, a threatening note to another student, with a pencil.
One student might have a mechanical pencil, making those with wooden ones feel bad.
The pencil might get stolen.
Pencils break and need repairing all the time.

Kids who have pencils might doodle instead of working on their assignments or listening to the teacher.
Oh, sure, kids might actually use a pencil to take notes or compose a paper -- but really, what's the chance of that?
www.educationworld.com...
edit on 4-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Dispo

The Mini Sharpie is a good choice for back-up, but does not perform under tactical situations.

Also, it is a matter of personal choice but the .9mm Papermate cartridges are too hard to find
and if TSHTF I think you'd be better of with the Pentel Super Hi-Polymer Lead Refill in 0.5 mm.
(I'm not saying the Papermate cartridge isn't a good choice, but for availability I'd go with
the Pentel .5mm or maybe the Bic in .7mm)

I own both the Pentel and the Papermate and have never had a problem with either of them jamming.

I am going to go pick up a Papermate 0.5 mm before they are included in a ban.

I have a really nice goose quill pen that I take to re-enactments.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Which in your opinion has more stopping power: 0.7 mm or 0.9 mm? Did you test on cadavers or ballistic gel?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bintim
Which in your opinion has more stopping power: 0.7 mm or 0.9 mm? Did you test on cadavers or ballistic gel?

I don't know what you're talking about as far as cadavers and ballistic gel but If you're looking for
sheer power The Cross Elite Micro-Mini in the outrageous .13mm will completely obliterate
heavy .02 micron fiber stock in white manilla...it doesn't matter. Though, it is certainly not intended
for use against finer microfibers and would be a waste...problem is you simply cannot
find these cartridges anywhere. They must be special ordered and there are rumors that the
company is going to discontinue all lead refills above .11 mm so get them quick!

Why the hell do I find this thread so much damn much fun? I think my sense of humor is broken

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Why the hell do I find this thread so much damn much fun? I think my sense of humor is broken

Me too. I think we should check ourselves in to humour rehabilitation...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join