It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Facts?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
the best we can do is logically represent a "thing". all things exist in our minds alone.

I have always been a fan of the creation myth of Eden. in it, god tells adam to name the creatures of the earth. by doing so, he creates the "factual" relationship of X=Y.

but X is not Y.
the map is not the territory.
the symbol is not the thing.

Robert Anton Wilson suggested that we should modify the English language to eliminate forms of the verb "is". inevitably, any time you say "is", you are stating an implicit falsehood.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Shoot. I was going to answer these questions, but I see no reason to now. All I'd be doing is reiterating this post.

Oh well.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by Nevertheless

I have two valuable pieces of advice that I think will serve you well:

1) Don't engage in ad hominem attacks. They make your argumentative skills look poor.

The reason for my posting is not to make my argumentative skills look good or bad, it is to discuss the matter at hand. Instead of going off topic, why not actually answer to my poor arguments and overthrow them with better arguments?

2) Don't project your sexual fantasies onto others, unless asked to do so beforehand.

I made a very specific example in the subject matter to illustrate the act of 'defining', whether or not you found it funny (it seems like you didn't), it would again have been great if you had stuck to the topic.
My sexual fantasies have little to do with the definition of a "fact".

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

According to a British law passed in 1845, attempting to commit suicide was a capital offense. Offenders could be hanged for trying."

Bank robber John Dillinger played professional baseball.

Did you know that there are coffee flavored PEZ?

Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

If NASA sent birds into space they would soon die; they need gravity to swallow.

In every episode of "Seinfeld" there is a Superman somewhere

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (Don't try this at home!)"

The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.

Source

Facts in relation to Philosophy??

Facts, philosophers like to say, are opposed to theories and to values, they are the objects of certain mental states and acts, they make truth-bearers true and correspond to truths, they are part of the furniture of the world. We present and discuss some philosophical and formal accounts of facts.

plato.stanford.edu...

It may seem to make perfect sense to look at a dictionary and treat a term like "facts,” as defined, as an absolute..... Though in relation to reality and in respect to philosophy

Any thoughts?
edit on 8-1-2013 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
In every episode of "Seinfeld" there is a Superman somewhere

Fact: Lists of "did you know" trivia are 93.1 percent likely to be garbage.

There are any number of sources that dispell this myth.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Darn!!!! Deep down inside I knew I should gone with...

"A monkey was once tried and convicted for smoking a cigarette in South Bend, Indiana."

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by Nevertheless

I have two valuable pieces of advice that I think will serve you well:

1) Don't engage in ad hominem attacks. They make your argumentative skills look poor.

The reason for my posting is not to make my argumentative skills look good or bad, it is to discuss the matter at hand. Instead of going off topic, why not actually answer to my poor arguments and overthrow them with better arguments?

2) Don't project your sexual fantasies onto others, unless asked to do so beforehand.

I made a very specific example in the subject matter to illustrate the act of 'defining', whether or not you found it funny (it seems like you didn't), it would again have been great if you had stuck to the topic.
My sexual fantasies have little to do with the definition of a "fact".

The Woman/Lady/OP/Forum Member, was actually being very nice to you but, under the circumstances what you have offered is a bunch of nonsense....

Any thoughts?
edit on 9-1-2013 by Kashai because: added and modified content

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai

The Woman/Lady/OP/Forum Member, was actually being very nice to you

"Actually"? I didn't consider it to be either "being nice" or "being evil".
Also, what difference does that make to the conversation, when the content was off-topic?

but, under the circumstances what you have offered is a bunch of nonsense....

Any thoughts?

Yes - what are the circumstances and how does the circumstances turn my reply into nonsense, and also, what exactly is the nonsense?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join