It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS in Mainstream News re: Mars Rover "flower"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Not sure where this should go, so putting it here for the moderators to move as needed.

ATS has been mentioned in a mainstream news story concerning the Mars Rover.

photoblog.nbcnews.com...

Another picture from Sol 132 has stirred up some buzz at the Above Top Secret discussion forum. The picture focuses in on a bright, crumpled object that's sitting on a Martian outcrop, as seen by the rover's Mars Hand Lens Imager, or MAHLI. The translucent shape is reminiscent of a flower's pistils, which led one of the forum's members to call it a "Martian flower."

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If only the nonsense could be contained within this site.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Darn it I thought people would have picked up on my comment calling it the rover bogey.

Good to see and hopefully we will get more members

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
If only the nonsense could be contained within this site.

Too late. Its now airborne.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
here come an influx of new members to add to the nonsense..

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Entertaining nonsense though

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Read the thread that was referred to. So far it has been discussed fairly intelligently without any wild and crazy stuff injected into it. It actually shines a "good light" on ATS as opposed to showing it as a "crazy conspiracy site".

Perhaps it will be a positive influx of members who prefer discussing possibilities as opposed to interjecting far fetched ideas, bashing and some of the things that go on ... ummm elsewhere

Since it's in the "national spotlight" so to speak, we should ensure that the thread gets the best possible input and show what some of the members here are really capable of as opposed to letting it turn into something "unflattering"

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Good find. I wrote an article on ATS on uncyclopedia, a satire site, and hopefully that has brought at least a few members (some users at the site signed up as members, I don't know how long they stayed).
edit on 4-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

Part of the freedom of this site is to discuss this type of anomaly it a constructive manner, the fact it was picked up by NBC is testament to the member for spotting it. Try and bring something to the party next time instead of criticising

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level

Part of the freedom of this site is to discuss this type of anomaly it a constructive manner, the fact it was picked up by NBC is testament to the member for spotting it. Try and bring something to the party next time instead of criticising

Excuse me, how is speculating something that is complete nonsense and then it being spread to other media constructive?
In that light, me telling that it is not constructive is....constructive in comparison. A handbrake on nonsense.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

At the very minimum it's constructive in that it brought a little more public awareness to the Mars Rover missions and to Curiosity in particular.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
so basically they keep saying the same old stuff,im saying old because its getting old what they always say.'Parts of the rover".......'parts of the landing gear'.......dont forget the part when they mention 'its because the pics have pixels problem when the image is send to earth to interpret'....and yet we see sand grains,and rocks.......blah ,blah......

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by On the level

Excuse me, how is speculating something that is complete nonsense and then it being spread to other media constructive?
In that light, me telling that it is not constructive is....constructive in comparison. A handbrake on nonsense.

You don't seem to understand. The thread in question isn't insisting it's a "flower", the thread in question is discussing the probability that it is either a mineral of some sort or a piece of plastic dropped off the rover. There was only slight mention in the thread at all about it being a "flower" and the arguments presented in that thread are very well stated and very respectful.

...unlike this thread

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

That's what led me to go with the plastic-scrap hypothesis. However, some of the folks commenting on the pictures noted that the object seemed to be embedded in the rock — which would argue against my hypothesis. So I put in an inquiry with Guy Webster, who serves as JPL's main spokesman for NASA's Mars missions. A couple of hours later, Webster emailed me the verdict: "That appears to be part of the rock, not debris from the spacecraft."

I don't believe they ever explained to us what the second "shiny object" found was after the initial "shiny object" that was declared part of Rover.

I personally don't see how any speculation can be considered nonsense or any less valid then another when dealing with the complete unknown of another planet. Some people are afraid of possibilities I believe, they must have everything within their bounds of acceptance.

Someday those boundaries will have to grow. Things do change and new things are discovered.

Second object found

First one (part of rover they said)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The top pic there looks like mother of pearl. Or the pearly white of the inside of a sea shell.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Wow, I haven't paid enough attention to it to realize there have been more than one particular objects found. I wonder if others are "in the same boat"?

It's very statistically improbable that THAT many pieces of plastic have fallen off the Rover to produce the pics. The first one, I can accept, but after that, there really does need to be another explanation. It's not like they sent it with the packing still wrapped around it or something. They clean things pretty thoroughly and just one piece of plastic was a statistical blip, two, very, very unlikely.

Thanks for pointing out there was more than just one object involved here!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Dude,you made a thread about a thread that was noted in a MSM article.
Did you give the proper recognition's to the original poster?

Thank you Arken for your hard work.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Arken is given proper cred in this article on yahoo....

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
delete
edit on 5-1-2013 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Dude,you made a thread about a thread that was noted in a MSM article.
Did you give the proper recognition's to the original poster?

Thank you Arken for your hard work.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 4-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Thank you kdog, I appreciate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join