It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Live Performances--I start with Rock. Where will you take this thread?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
INXS, they were one of the best bands live...until their lead singer, Michael Hutchence passed away.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I also have a great love of country music. Here's one from the late, great Keith Whitley.

I also can't forget to post some Willie in one of his best Duets with Emmylou Harris.

And of course, two of my favorite musicians on stage together, this song is proof that there is a god, and he or she loves me. Here's Willie Nelson and Steven Tyler!

edit on 4-1-2013 by dave_welch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Nay!

Here be the greatest live show ever...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Hey Narcoleptic, sorry cant load, new anti-spyware giving me fits... but my concert expreiences will never leave me ELO's live fire on high, lasted quite a while and was amazing, RUSH during the power windows era, holy sheet, blew me away, neil peart was fantastic, the first Asia concert, YES in London, WOW!, al stewart, Blue oyster cult, Kraftwerk, the motels had martha davis kicking with "so L.A., lasted 9 minutes with an amazing vioice and sound combo, Pink Floyd with unbeliveable versons of "take it back" and "one slip" etc, etc. the music is out there, and it has changed my life forever, thank you fo the thread, and cool avatar, loved the album.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Midnight Oil was great:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Back in the day, I got to see live performances by "Pantera" and also, "Lillian Axe" at a local nite spot here in Shreveport, Louisiana...very energetic and intense! Didn't get to record them tho. Sorry. The lead singer got up on a big speaker and sang at me, I was on the balcony....was cool!

I'm a newbie and don't know how to put on videos...I have dvds of live performances by Motley Crue, Poison, AC/DC and Europe...wish I could put them on....great, colorful shows by all. I especially like "Europe" and The Final Countdown". I have MS but this grannie can still "headbang" at times and I love it!

Narcolepticbuddha....your avatar is from ELO album cover, yes? Nice.

Hope I didn't mess up the thread. I really love music and felt like I hadda comment.
Rock and metal mostly.

Blessings. ^j^

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

Yep, ELO
A jukebox speaker modified to look like a UFO...with the space shuttle docking inside it. How can you go wrong with that?

If you can think of any particular song or show + year etc you'd like me to post, I will do a youtube search for you and embed it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Yes, that's it. I didn't know it was on You Tube. Thanks for embedding it for me.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Great thread man. One of my more memorable concert experiences was Motorhead a couple of years ago, supported by Rose Tattoo. This video is old motorhead but a great concert, if you get a chance to watch the whole thing. Alot of people would not get into this music , but i call it rock n roll , just need to give it a chance and with the right atmosphere it sounds even better (play it loud)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Man! Some great live groups above. I Remember watching the 2000 Olympics Midnight Oil., Open- Good stuff!

Heres a couple I like

Bryan Adams - Heaven - Acoustic Live

Bryan Adams - Somebody

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Man, I wish I had a time machine so I could see Floyd in their prime. David Gilmour was one of my big influences as a guitar player.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have a couple of totally off the wall picks but, as a music lover, both bands give Performance Art as much as Music.

2 Skinnee J's - hilarious, smart, unbelievably energetic and different every time.

And Cowboy Mouth - Fred LeBlanc is insane, I've seen him literally climb the club walls.

For both, the crowd/fans play a huge part of it and the fact that they are usually in clubs. If you have ever seen a show by either group, you know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This thread is just exploding! I did NOT expect this! I still plan to keep my promise and fully listen to every post on this thread, but it is just moving too fast for me at this point.
Just be patient and one of these days I will let you know what I think of all the vids haha

reply to post by kosmicjack

Don't mind if I embed the videos for ya.

edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

And Cowboy Mouth - Fred LeBlanc is insane, I've seen him literally climb the club walls.

You got that right. I saw those guys in MS. Unforgettable.

Here's another obscure band that's great live.Dengue Fever live at the Troubadour.

edit on 4-1-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
One of the most heartfelt performances ever.

And another one of those bands that never seems to die out.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ran across this dude a few years back and I had no idea a Ukulele could be played or sound like this.
Jake Shimabukuro

Pink Floyd has already been mentioned, but a show I saw in Vancouver from the Division Bell tour to this day is the most amazing musical sensory spectacle I have ever been a part of.

SRV also mentioned, ranks high with me.
How bout a little James Brown

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Rainbow - Stone Cold (Live in San Antonio 1982) HD

Pretty good band

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Hi again, I used to be able to find "Europes" "Cherokee" and "Final Countdown" on youtube but not lately....maybe copyright issues? I liked Def Leppard live, 1993 at Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield, England and also, AC/DC live at Donington, 1991, "Thunderstruck"....the song hackers used on irans system recently. :

Don't know if any of those ones are still floating around on the internet still. Def Leppards "Rock of Ages" is good. Anyways, thanx for responding to me. Blessings, ^j^

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'll add two cents on live performances; but first want to note that I am refering to concerts I attended - not recordings made from a live performances. First the act of recording, mixing and pressing does not do justice to any live performance.

The best live performances I've attended (happen to be a trained musician here) were Pink Floyd at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles (Dark Side of the Moon) circa 1973/4 or so. Frank Zappa when and where ever he was.... Brian Setzer at the Hollywood bowl around 1998 or so. Moody Blues also at Hollywood Bowl about the same time. Then the ultimate live acoustic experience of the LA Philharmonic at Disney Hall.

Best concert at the Bowl was Jean Pierre Rampal and Herbert Laws with the LA phil in the late 70's, classical and jazz at it's best.

Now there are some recording artists that should not play live. The big one is Oingo Boingo - the sound at the two shows I attended was atrocious - but I love the music. I also found Jefferson Airplane and pale example live. Can't really remember the disappointing live shows - cause well, they weren't anything to remember.

You can't recreate the audience participation in any kind of recording and that it what truly makes live performance for the artist and the house.

Most venues really don't have good acoustics or good sound and you lose a lot of the nuance right there and only the give and take, the energy of the moment can fill in for that.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

It must have been great to see so many wonderful shows while those bands were in their prime...and they probably have only increased value with age. As I said, the heights of rock were all long before my time. For that reason, I actually haven't been to too many live shows in reality.

I guess I never did give a list of what I've been to. It's a short one.

I saw a Temptations reunion and that was probably the first show I've ever been to. I remember being kind of disinterested in the music, which is a shame, because I really love Motown now.

I have seen Aerosmith around 2004, I think. Just Push Play tour. It was quite a show! even though I don't really like Aerosmith.

I have seen Jeff Beck at least twice. His were probably the most enjoyable shows I've ever been to--just because the fact that he is a very fine virtuoso. I remember for one of his encores he played a very stylized and beautiful rendering of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." He was standing in the spotlight alone. There was no singing or anything. Just Jeff and his guitar. Best way to end a great show!

I got to see a modern lineup of Skynyrd and that was fun just to hear some great classic rock. I got to go backstage and got the entire band to sign a brand new drum head I brought with me. It's still my favorite piece of rock & roll. My mom went to an REO Speedwagon show once (without me) and brought me back a used drumstick.

I have seen Robert Plant on his Strange Sensation tour and then again with Alison Krauss. I tell ya, I really love his solo work and it was great to see him perform live. His band is very fun to see even if his own performances are a bit tame.

Without a doubt my favorite show ever was The Who (Pete and Roger with Zach Starrkey) in 2006. Pete can still rock it better than most of the young kids! I had managed to get tickets for like the 5th or 6th row. Amazing being up that close!

And the most recent show I've been to was the Barenaked Ladies. I have always been a fan of them, but I had to see them just after Steven Page left the band (which is who I really wanted to see up there singing.) The show was very fun! If you like their music, they put on a great show. Ed Robertson and crew are expects at stage interaction, banter, and improvisation. They do brilliant improvisations with the lyrics on "$1,000,000." They finished the show doing a mock-up version of boy band singing and beat-boxing.

I obviously don't go to many shows because I've just named them all. I am very picky about who I want to see live. If anything, I am not really interested in seeing a rock band live if I don't know who they are.

My biggest regrets are the times that Electric Light Orchestra or Alan Parsons Live Project came directly to my town but I didn't get to see them

But what I'd REALLY like to do is find some jazz/blues club where I can go and be alone at 3AM with a good, unknown group.
I somehow think that will always be the best show on the planet.
edit on 5-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join