Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Best Live Performances--I start with Rock. Where will you take this thread?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I was watching your avatar throughout the entire ZZ Top video!
I don't know why, but I never felt compelled to buy any ZZ Top albums--I guess it's just because they have so many radio hits that I can pretty much hear them whenever I go for a drive. Definitely one of the best bands in rock! (And you know they picked that drummer just because his name was Beard
)

Gimme Three Steps has always been my favorite Skynyrd tune

The Gap Band...have not heard of them. Oh that's funky! I love it! Thanks for showing me something new.

All excellent choices and great additions to this thread.
edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This thread brings back memories, one was the first Farm Aid concert. It kept going all day, and Willie Nelson sang so much by himself and with people that you couldn't shut the guy up. Bob Dylan flew in by helicopter with a gospel trio to back him up. There was so many stars at the thing that my friends and I were using them as background music after awhile as we hung around and talked.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Rammstein - Sonne Live from Volkerball

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Best Live Performance)

MUSE - The Very Best of...

Rammstein du hast live (the best one)

Al Stewart Roads to Moscow ( one of my favorites )

SS
edit on 4-1-2013 by Spike Spiegle because: 3 is better than 2
edit on 4-1-2013 by Spike Spiegle because: had to add two more =)
edit on 4-1-2013 by Spike Spiegle because: dreams
edit on 4-1-2013 by Spike Spiegle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I really enjoyed that funky tune by The Gap Band! I can only reciprocate with a song that especially gets my mojo workin'

I am kicking myself for not going to see Alan Parsons Live Project when they came through my town a few years ago

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks for the tune NB! Now you've got me be-bopping around the house, getting my groove on. Good thing the grandkid likes to listen to funk cuz she's stuck listening to it all day now!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by QMask

Q Mask, I haven't forgotten about your videos and I am going to get started on one right now...just an update though, your first video is blocked in my country for copyright reasons.

The other 3 work fine and I will give them a proper listen

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Guns N' Roses - Live at the Ritz was one of their best performances in my opinion:

The Angels were an awesome Aussie band:

To expand the topic into further areas, the Doug Anthony All Stars were exceptional live:

Also, the Violent Femmes were awesome live:

edit on 4-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread so far..it's that there is A LOT of great music on this thread!

I am finding it immensely pleasurable to step outside my comfort zone and try new styles and genres of music I normally wouldn't listen to. I encourage everyone else to do the same

Thanks to all my fellow ATS members who have participated and to those who will.

I promise I will give each post a listen, but remember to keep it live! Please NO studio versions or music videos

Let's keep this thread growing and keep the contributions coming!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The performance that introduced America to rock 'n' roll. This performance was
so outrageous to people that Milton Berle, who hosted the show recieved 400,000 letters
telling him they would never watch his show again after he showed that disgusting
young man. After this Elvis was on the minds of just about everyone. Good or bad.
In my opinion the greatest performance ever. Nobody had ever seen anything like it.

Elvis with a guitar with his friends. Rock 'n' roll at its purest.

At his most majestic .

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here's 2 that absolutely ROCK!!!

Neil Young and Pearl Jam. The old man shows them how to do it:

This is arguably the best rock tune/performance ever. Skynyrd:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

While I've enjoyed many great well-known bands live, as well as many multi-band shows like lollapalooza, etc., my favorite to see live is Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, with the occasional rare treat of a solo acoustic. The band is great, and the atmosphere/crowd of the live shows is even better.

The best description I can give of the music is to call it "southwest rock", but there are a myriad of other influences to add to that description. The music is varied, so if one song doesn't ring with you, try a couple from each album before deciding they're not for you.

As far as the atmosphere at a live show - lots of love, lots of fun. In a way, its the Arizona/Mexico to Jimmy Buffet's Florida. Bars hosting their shows stock waaay up in tequila, rather than rum. They have been described as a modern Buffet, but that's based more on the feel of their shows than the music itself.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

Thanks for pitching in. Is there any chance you could post some live snippets of them for the thread?

The first thing that came to my mind when I read "Southwest rock" was something like the Texas Tornadoes--am I starting to bridge the gap here or am I just way off?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I didn't mean to imply that Pearl Jam couldn't rock. They can. This song has the feel of Freebird:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Southwest rock? It doesn't get better than Stevie:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wow.. all these answers and perhaps the best live rock band ever is not even listed. There is nothing wrong with anything anyone so far has posted.

I have seen more than 50 concerts.. The Who. Stones. AC/DC. Slayer. Triumph. Rush.

No one holds a candle to Radiohead live. Amazing experience.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I would embed them but not real clear on how to do it.

Faith No More was really good live. They start with something unexpected. Reunited.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-1-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)
edit on 4-1-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ooo, someone mentioned Jimmy Buffett. Helluvan entertainer:

That song actually has some relevance. I have a friend that spent 15 years sailing the Caribe. He said that conch stew gets old. Need a burger.

M0ar:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

I have heard a little bit of Radiohead--I had a buddy who loved them and introduced me to a few tunes. He always told me they were more of a studio-oriented band though.

I will check them out in due time. I already have a backlog of posts to listen to and address

I have taken the liberty of embedding your videos:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Couldn't let this thread go by without posting something by Pink Floyd..

edit on 4-1-2013 by ShadowsOnTheWall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowsOnTheWall
Couldn't let this thread go by without posting something by Pink Floyd..

You couldn't let it go by? Pink Floyd was one of my main features in the OP and 2 videos from Live at Pompeii have already been posted

But I love Pink Floyd so I'm not going to complain.

The reason they made my top list was because of the 1980 tour of The Wall. No other band that I'm aware of has so masterfully illustrated a concept album with the use of stage props, puppets, a cast of actors and backup musicians, and that giant video screen.

Their stage literally became a living opera.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Hey.. thank you very much. I do appreciate it. I think you will like what Radiohead does live. It does help to know their music. They do not play the tunes live as they are recorded on CD.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join