It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Live Performances--I start with Rock. Where will you take this thread?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I am a Depeche Mode fan.
Therefore, I have to add in these two concerts:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
"In A Gadda Da Vida" baby, when Iron Butterfly performed it live the drum solo was often 35-45 minutes long. The rest of the band took a break.

Minnie Rippleton when she was with the Rotary Connection.

Springsteen with E-Street.

Best live performances have to include Phil Ochs and Sinead O'Connor, wherever and whenever they sang/sing, in the shower or out.

The drum solo in the vid (from 1968) is much shorter, but rocks. It starts at...4:20:

And I'm still amazed to have seen a perfomance by drummer Buddy Rich when, in his finale solo, he made the drumheads smoke. I had thought "he's smokin'" was just a figure of speech. Nope, an eye and ear witness to the event here to testify!!!

edit on 4-1-2013 by Aleister because: spelling

edit on 4-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hey op thanks for having a open mind and watching the videos! There something about the energy at metal shows that just gets me every time. Here's another one I like from one of the greatest bands of all time definitely one of the greatest drummers of all time. Wish I could of been old enoigh to see them live.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

That is now my favorite version of Stand by Me! Incredible! And I thank you for sharing it (even though it isn’t exactly a live/stage performance.)

I really liked Foggy Mountain Breakdown. What an ensemble!

I am still trying to recover from my 2nd listen-through of that acoustic guitar duet. Absolutely staggering!

Great selections overall, and a lot of variety. Thanks for broadening my horizons with your post. I’d give you multiple stars if I could!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

Didn't you notice the first photo on my OP?
John Henry Bonham aka Bonzo! My favorite drummer and Led Zep is probably my favorite band in contention with a few others (Pink Floyd, The Who, Electric Light Orchestra etc.)

I've listened to countless versions of Moby Dick. I was inspired to play drums by this guy and learned a lot of techniques just by listening to the records over and over and over and over and over....

Led Zeppelin's legendary performances could easily make any list, but I felt that they just didn't have anything that really set them apart from any other great jam band.

What you get from a live Led Zep video or record is mostly extended improvised versions of hit songs and medleys--and of course, Jimmy Page's violin bow.

I'm not complaining, and I still think Led Zep was probably more captivating than most bands in rock history, but unfortunately, they just didn't make my list this time 'round.

edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by QMask

What a treat! Two full performances! I just wanted to buzz you back and let you know I will definitely check them out when time permits.

I am not really familiar with Depeche Mode, but "All I Ever Wanted" is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard on the radio. Can't wait to listen!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That's quite a voice Sinead has, but I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread focused on live/stage performances only and leave music videos and studio versions out. Thanks

I just recently heard of Phil Ochs
Thanks for the video.

And what can I say about In A Gadda Da Vida that hasn't been said 800,000 times
Great choice.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

That's quite a voice Sinead has, but I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread focused on live/stage performances only and leave music videos and studio versions out. Thanks

I just recently heard of Phil Ochs
Thanks for the video.

And what can I say about In A Gadda Da Vida that hasn't been said 800,000 times
Great choice.

Thanks, I'll find a live performance of hers. Ochs is a legend, and hopefully a long-hoped for movie of his life will be made. Sean Penn owned the rights years ago, and I've actually spoken with Ochs' brother and sister about the movie. Fingers and other things crossed.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

You've seen Buddy Rich? I envy you! If I'm not mistaken, he still holds the world record for fastest and most accurate single strokes (3:30.) He was the Wayne Gretzky of drums and probably always will be.
One of the things I say is that every time I play the drums Buddy Rich yells at an angel (he was notorious for his temper as well as his tempo
)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Oh man, thank you for the Buddy Rich vid. I saw him at a suburban outdoor mall (oh the mighty fall), and that drumhead-smoking performance was amazing to say the least. I managed to get near and talk to him for just a moment as he was boarding his bus and the crew was breaking-down the equipment, and there was a Frank Sinatra-ish energy from him (even though I never met Sinatra I imagine that's what it would have been like). A nice evening, and I don't remember if I knew about the performance or just wandered by as it was starting.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I guess it doesn't really matter now, but I SO meant to have this photo of Pete Townshend in my OP during the segment of The Who. It really shows that that little man with the big nose was truly larger than life.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Glad you liked 'em. Once I saw you had Queen at Live Aid, which is what came to mind when I read the thread title I figured I'd go in a different direction.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Iron Maiden - Maiden England

Metallica - Live in San Diego - Binge & Purge

Lamb of God - Richmond Virginia (January 2012) Seen it live in person!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Hi NarcolepticBuddha,

1.) Here are more details about the first Depeche Mode video that I posted earlier:

Some Great Reward Tour
1984 in Hamburg

2.) And here is more details about the second Depeche Mode video that I posted (also in my earlier post):

The 101th Live Concert by Depeche Mode
1988 Live at the Pasadena Rose Bowl

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

3.) Let me add this video as my third Depeche Mode offering:

DEPECHE MODE - The End Of The Universe (MultiCam by Menace)
Düsseldorf - February 27th, 2010

I am listening to this now, and it is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME !!!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

4.) Let me add this as my fourth Depeche Mode offering:

Depeche Mode - Live One Night in Paris [The Exciter Tour 2001] Full Concert

My Comments:

This Paris concert is more slow, and they focused more on atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I couldn't find any live action video but I was at this concert in Vancouver in Dec '78:

Best show evah.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Here are some videos of some of the best groups that I've gone to see that were just as good, if not better, live. Wish I could have found footage from actual concerts I've attended but alas no such luck. I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised by how many concerts I've been to that the bands have sounded like total crud, but there are many that have been totally awesome! Here are three that I enjoyed so much I went to see them in concert multiple times:

ZZ Top

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Gap Band

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Wow that was a really interesting version of that song--one I have not heard before. It almost doesn't even sound like Queen!

Awesome that you got to see the show! Thanks for sharing.

(Nice choice in avatar there
Although, I will always be a Spidey fan first.)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join