It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Live Performances--I start with Rock. Where will you take this thread?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It is rarely said, “They sounded better in the studio than on the stage.” Most artists, musicians, and bands hit their full potential during live performances that give room for improvisations, extended solos, and elaborate lighting and effects. Not only is the sound of the live performance more thrilling, but it also gives fans an opportunity to see the showmanship of their favorite musicians; usually leaving them awestruck.

My favorite genre of music is typically filed under “classic rock.” Although classic rock is a fairly loose term these days—the legends of the stage aren’t difficult to identify. Because rock & roll was before my time, and with the exception of a few choice live albums, my music comprehension is usually confined to the studio album. I can only dream about seeing some of my favorite bands perform. For the sake of this thread, I will be pointing out some of the most notable moments of on-stage rock, but I invite others to share their favorite moments and treasured memories of the live show, or point out any musicians that have fallen off my rock radar.

This is not strictly about rock & roll, just about good times at THE SHOW! I’d like to start my presentation (and don’t forget to add your own gems to this thread) with...

The Detours, The Hair—The Who?

Performing one of their milestone hits “My Generation” on the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, wild child drummer Keith Moon leaves Pete Townshend nearly deaf in one ear as he is busy smashing his guitar.

in 1967. The drummer, Keith Moon, overloaded his bass drum with explosives which were detonated during the finale of “My Generation.” As a result, guest Bette Davis fainted, guitarist Pete Townshend’s hair was set on fire, and there is a legend that he received permanent damage to his hearing.

listverse.com...

Right off the coattails of the smash-hit Tommy (1969), The Who were back on the stage delivering what are considered some of the best performances of their career—a tour that resulted in the equally impressive live album Live at Leeds. Although this tour did not boast some of their future hits such as “Baba O’Riley,” “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” or “Who are you,” this is a chance to see ‘Moon the Loon’ in his prime.

The one and only Farrokh Bulsara

A well-crafted stage persona is essential to putting on a memorable show, and I can think of no better stage presence than the inimitable Freddie Mercury. It doesn’t hurt to have the mesmerizing guitar solos of Brian May and the collective voices of one of the best harmonic groups of rock—Queen.

Wembly 1986

Live Aid had a TV audience of 1.9 billion, making it the biggest-viewed event of its time, and Queen’s performance at Wembly was widely thought of as the show-stealer. It is still cited by many as the greatest live rock performance of all-time.

listverse.com...
Here is the entire 1985 Live Aid performance

The Pink Floyd Sound

So, what else makes a live show memorable? We’ve covered stage antics, stage persona, but what about fatally loud music? Luckily, Pink Floyd is uncontested in this category.

On May 15 back in 1971, Pink Floyd played an outdoor concert at London’s Crystal Palace Bowl. They played so loud that their music killed most of the fish in the lake in front of the natural amphitheatre’s stage… It also killed off the water lilies!!

981freefm.ca...

Although in retrospect, there were several factors involved in the pond incident—and the volume of the music probably wasn’t to blame. However, the legend persists!

Pink Floyd wouldn’t be the masters of the stage that they are if they were only known for destroying pond life. Perhaps their biggest claim to fame is the 1980 tour of The Wall. The stage slowly transformed itself from a music venue into a living rock opera to illustrate their highly renowned double-album.

The Fab Four

Sometimes the band is just too big for the stage. Not long after the explosion of Beatlemania, the Fab Four began to require venues that equaled the size of their popularity—Shea Stadium.

On August 15th, 1965, the Beatles sold out Shea Stadium in New York City, playing to a crowd of 55,600. The crowd was so loud, the Beatles couldn’t even hear themselves during their 30 minute performance. It was the first ever stadium concert of its kind.

www.wmgk.com...

No one said the legends were invincible. Here is the dark side of the stage:

Jim Morrison gets arrested at his own show (1967)

He was booked on charges of indecency, public obscenity, disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.

www.feelnumb.com...

Keith Moon passes out mid-performance (1973)

Altamont ends in disaster (1969)

Dozens of others in the audience were beaten and maimed by Hell's Angels using pool cues for weapons, a girl suffered a near-fatal skull fracture from a full beer can thrown by someone in the crowd, performers were knocked senseless or harassed by Angels in several brawls, two young people afterward were killed by a hit-and-run driver while they were sitting by a campfire, and a fourth was drowned in a ditch.

www.esquire.com...

The fact is, there are just too many legends of the stage that can’t be fit into this thread. That’s where you come in! I have presented some of my favorite live moments and performances that I can only experience through books, reviews, bootlegs, DVDs, and the magic of youtube.

Please introduce me to some great live music, say a few words about it, and possibly post some important info. Or feel free to share your best concert memories.

Otherwise, enjoy these honorable mentions:

During June 13th and 14th of 1975, once little-known Peter Frampton played two amazing live shows at Marin Civic Center in San Francisco. Although it was the first time Frampton had headlined a show, the recordings of the concert would eventually become the highest-selling live album in rock and roll history.

www.wmgk.com...

1979's Live at Budokan broke Cheap Trick in the U.S., crashing the charts with all the muscle-bound heaviness and pure exuberance that had been missing from their studio efforts.

www.rhapsody.com...

When guitarist Jimi Hendrix stepped up to the microphone at Woodstock on August 18th, 1969, no one really knew what to expect. What they got was a rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner” unlike anything they had ever heard before; it still hasn’t been matched today.

www.wmgk.com...

edit on 4-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I can only go by what I have personally seen live.. Going to many concerts over the years and most of the major UK festivals every year.. I have to say this is one of the most amazing moments for me at a live concert..

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Heck so many bands so many gigs, I guess my fave was Pavement with the Slanted and enchanted tour.
Their first Drummer was a madman.
Yeah I know, you are all going who? but boy this stuff was my fave stuff as a kid.

I was here and I met my first wife at this gig.
The 90's rocked

edit on 4-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
My all time favourite Pink Floyd "concert" moment, was their set they performed "Live at Pompei".
The atmosphere, the dry dusty ancient setting. The fact the only people there were the sound guys, and some local kids in the area that were wondering what the heck was going on.
Those lucky kids... Man to be there!
(I'm just posting a small sample, because its well worth it to grab the proper dvd)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Live at Pompeii's feature of A Saucerful of Secrets is worth it alone. It is a pretty great film and I haven't watched it in many years. I will have to pull it out of my DVD collection one of these days

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-1-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I'm gonna add this one...so much energy in that place that day, fantanstic good times!!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Good thread op I am a metal head here's one of my favorite bands live at download, one day I would love to take a trip across the pond to go.

And who could forger gwar

edit on 4-1-2013 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Even though that's not exactly my style of music, I did grow up in the 90's and my older bro was a big Foo Fighters fan at the time.

Thanks for the thoroughly enjoyable nostalgia rush
Definitely one of the most memorable tunes of my childhood.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

You're right, I have never heard of them. But that is some great feel-good rock music! It is mellow, yet very potent and energetic. I like it

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Thanks for 2 great additions! Jefferson Airplane is classic, but I have never listened to Iggy Pop before. Now I have to decide whose voice I like more, Iggy Pop or Ric Ocasek (The Cars.)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I have been to a fair number of live gigs through the years and have seen some amazing performances. I worked in radio for 18 years and have managed to get backstage...on stage...and great seats everywhere. One of the best perfromances was a recent show in Nashville I attended...Rogers Waters and The Wall...outstanding show and great performance musically as well...another which sticks in my mind was a Rolling Stones concert in Madrid Spain...certainly not their heyday in '89 but superior as they sounded exactly like their studio stuff but managed to add enough to the live performance that it was electric. Neither are my favorite performers but those show stand out for some reason...other notables...Van Halen...original line up and Nirvana which was awesome !

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

I really, REALLY liked that. This tune sounded very familiar--it was probably something my bro listened to back in the day.

I loved the violin's counterpoint with the rhythm guitar..and she got WAY into it too. I love my string instruments in my rock. That's why ELO (my avatar) is one of my favorites..gotta have some strings in my rock.

You make it sound like you were at that show...was that you off to the side of the stage recording this bootleg?
Thanks for sharing. I truly enjoyed this one.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Oh, please! I'm a drummer--I've seen this video before haha. He definitely does have some skills. Like one of the comments points out...it reminds me so much of Chris Farley's physical comedy.

Sorry, but no star for you. You can't just post a joke video and not even give any commentary.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

I used to drum (my Dad was a session drummer) and that was brill

Drummers are always the mad ones in a band

I gave you a star for it

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

I'm really not about metal, but I gave both videos a look and a listen

Video 1: Definitely some great audience engagement. You gotta be in charge to command an audience like that. And double-bass drummers never cease to amaze me. Do you have any idea what it takes to play with that much speed and energy for 2 hours + ? Just astounding even if I don't much like the style.

Video 2: Okay, that was interesting--great use of props.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

Oh come on! 18 years in radio, you must have at least one great story to tell us. Please share!

..and I often hear that Roger Water's revival of The Wall is even better than it was in 1980. I am skeptical because I am a big Gilmour fan as well. I bet the special effects have improved a great deal these last 3 decades though.

I would love to see it if I ever get the chance. I listen to the live album at Earl's Court probably more than any Floyd album.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Stand By Me - Playing for Change

Con te Partiro - Andrea Bocelli

Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Earl Scruggs and Friends

Tamacun - Rodrigo y Gabriela

I think this is just about as close as two people can get to merging with their instruments

But this kid is getting a head start

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join