It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers leak video of Steubenville, Ohio Rape case.

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
[

Lets clear some things up..

*The Sheriff's Department was NOT the agency responsible for the investigation.
* The Steubenville Police Department is the origionating agency and is responsible for the investigation.

*The Police nor Sheriff is the final say on whether or not charges will be filed nor are they the final say on what those charges are.
*The Prosecuting Attorney, NOT Law Enforcement, is the final say on whether a person(s) are prosecuted for a crime. The PA is also the final say on what charges will be brought.
*The Police / Sheriff could announce they are not filing any criminal complaints, however the PA is not bound by those decisions and can in fact proceed, even if law enforcement does not support it.

The age of the people at the time of this occurrence are all 16 years old, making them minors. Because of that the law behaves differently in terms of how all of this proceeds. Generally speaking when an adult crime is committed by a minor, the adult courts will not have jurisdiction. Having a minor certified as an adult is a lengthy process that will involve age / mentality / crime / etc etc etc.

The leaked video was already in the hands of the prosecution, so again, releasing it has jeopradized the trial. There is a reason people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

The court of public opinion is based on half information, ignorance and emotion while being devoid of all facts. Justice is not a lynch mob, and attempting to seek justice through that mentality will mean the victim will suffer even more when the accused walk free because of a technicality caused by mob justice.

I am all about shinging lights on these types of situations, and I support keeping pressure on.. What I dont support is the intentional release of potential evidence solely because people dont like the way the system works.

Change the system by using the proper procedures and dont attempt to do it by using the victim and situation for a personal vendetta.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Yeah.

I never saw the video. But I think the facts here speak for themselves (literally).

And if any backward system wants to throw out VIDEO evidence because of some technical legal loophole B#, then im sorry, but that is not a system to protect us citizens.

When a crime is seen being committed with video/audio and picture evidence. So what if the public saw them first.
That does not change their contents nor intent.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

100% Agree

[ I don't want to live on this planet anymore]

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
When a crime is seen being committed with video/audio and picture evidence. So what if the public saw them first.
That does not change their contents nor intent.

Actually it does, whether you like it or not.

What you and others ignore is that little protection we call innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not public opinion. The female in this case is a victim, no arguments there.. The kids involved are suspects, and again no issues there either.

By releasing this type of info it not only can prejudice the jury pool, it opens the door for a mistrial / acquittal.

Its bad enough what this girl went through.. Do you want to be the one who has to explain to her that they cant stand trial because of a technicality?

Once the first person is officaly seated on a jury / offical depositions occur, double jeopardy attaches. That means the PA cannot refile the same charges against them unless they obtain new evidence that is not connected to the video.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
What you and others ignore is that little protection we call innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, not public opinion. The female in this case is a victim, no arguments there.. The kids involved are suspects, and again no issues there either.

By releasing this type of info it not only can prejudice the jury pool, it opens the door for a mistrial / acquittal.

Its bad enough what this girl went through.. Do you want to be the one who has to explain to her that they cant stand trial because of a technicality?

Once the first person is officaly seated on a jury / offical depositions occur, double jeopardy attaches. That means the PA cannot refile the same charges against them unless they obtain new evidence that is not connected to the video.

Isn't there a way to do court without jury? The judge etc. should be professional enough not to bring bias and prejudice into account, and they would see the video at some point anyway, so really there will be personal opinions no matter what. Surely this evidence can be used, and trial can be made properly.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It is very very cynical of the defense to talk about contaminating the jury pool. seeing as how they have been charged as juveniles and there will be no jury. Juvenile cases are heard by judges only.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver

And if any backward system wants to throw out VIDEO evidence because of some technical legal loophole B#,

Jesus, I was gonna mention this. I am not familiar with US law, in fact I am not familiar with law in general (Thankfully), but please tell me that there's not a ****y law that prevents the video from being produced in court. I have not watched the video through fear of rage, although I have gathered from comments alone that it is rage inducing indeed.

I can just imagine the perpetrators being presented as immature kids, or certainly dressing it up in some fashion, and then the video being played. On the other hand, and if we presume that the jury would not have seen the tape outside of court and the video can't be presented as evidence then surely this is detrimental to the prosecution.

Anyway, lets just hope for the best and that the video will be played in court. Pitty for the victim having to see it of course, although this is unavoidable I suppose?

PS: I know you are not Jesus, it's an Irish thing

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I just read 20 of the 25 pages of this thread and I want to mention something.

The only thing I'm good at is having a memory that is sometimes too good that it bothers me. Something about this thread made me remember a thought I had 4 months ago.

I remember hearing about the rape, most likely in a thread on ATS. I remember that thread talking about the county prosecutor being the guardian of someone involved in the case somehow.

I distinctly remember thinking to myself. "Wow, this story stinks really badly".... So here we are many moons later. Here in America, a great lawyer is the best possible thing you could ever have. Justice is a form of interpretation.

My favorite post in this thread said this. "Ohh, so you want Sharia Law then" Sorta sounds better than the justice system we have. I've lost all faith in America as a country. Lets just call it a business from now on.

You're all slaves, all of us. America is our boss, no matter how much money you have, you are owned by America the business. We have no identity, we have no culture. We are leading man into a new dark age. If you don't accept my beliefs. I think you are trying not to see it. That's why I said, "Here in America, a great lawyer is the best possible thing you could ever have."

I won't be surprised when the video gets thrown out of court. Not in the slightest.

edit on 6-1-2013 by sticky because: two words typod.. my bad
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sticky

Here are my thoughts Sticky

1. Rape victims want and need justice....but not necessarily vengence.

2. What rape victims want more than anything else is that the rapist will be stopped from raping anyone else.

3. Rape victims who seek justice want everyone to know that the rapist is a bad person and what was done to them.

4. By releasing the video, Anonymous has identified all the parties involved - those who raped her, those who participated and those who watched. Anonymous has also shed light on the Rape Crew and the justice system.

5. Do you really think that this has not stopped the Rape Crew in their tracks? Accomplishing this fulfills the greatest wish of every rape victim.

6. This rape victim also has the satisfaction of knowing that everyone now knows how badly she was treated and exactly who did it!

7. Make no mistake - heads will role from this incident. Careers and reputations are on the line. There are already rumors of the head coach resigning on Monday. Do you really think this sheriff will ever be elected again? Do you really think that Jane Hanlin will suffer no consequences? What about Micheal Nodianos - man has he ever been exposed as a little psychopath. Alumni of Ohio State are already calling for his scholarship to be revoked and for him to be expelled. Certainly, I don't think you will ever see him take the field in a football game again - can you imagine how the crowd would react. Every future employer who does a google search on this guy will find this video. He will have to confess everything to every girl he meets and wants to have a serious relationship with. Not to mention that he is a extreme risk of facing charges now and likely in an adult court!

8. At this point, anything punishment that the justice system can impose is almost irrelevant. But make no mistake - Trenton Mays and Mal'ik Richmond will have their day in court and it won't be the pleasant little slap on the wrist that they were expecting.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The age of the people at the time of this occurrence are all 16 years old,

Somebody hasn't been paying attention.
Here you are on your soapbox about how Anon has screwed everything up for the prosecution and violated other legalities, yet you cannot even state the details of the case properly.
Hint: If Nadianos is currently 19, how old do you think he was last August?
Do you believe that adults who may have witnessed and participated in a sex crime and didn't help the victim or report the crime to authorities be allowed to walk free in society? Because that is exactly what would be happening had the officials kept handling this case in the same disgraceful manner. Anon needed to intervene to make sure all poople are being held accountable.
Hopefully, Anon has also caused many corrupt poople to be knocked out of their high positions. If this is how they do their job, Steubenville doesn't need them. Even from comments made on this thread from people claiming to live there, the town needed a good cleaning for a long time.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I agree with all the points you listed, but I am tempted to want to make those involved in the crime (directly and indirectly) sweat. Not hurt them per se, but just a little classic intimidation.
It would be really funny if they each got a copy of "I Spit on Your Grave" aka "Day of the Woman" in the mail this week.
www.imdb.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

That is the thing we have to remember! What would be the outcome if the video had not been released?

We have only to look at the justice the [SNIP] received. The perpetrators got a small slap on the wrist in a juvenile court (record is sealed as soon as the kids turn 18). The Rape Crew would have continued on their merry little role, as would the adults involved.

Just look at the outcome when Anonymous gets involved!

I completely agree and support the right of every person to be innocent until proven guilty. But much more important than punishing the current crime is preventing future crime(s).

Let Trenton Mays and Mal'ik Richmond and even Micheal Nodiano walk away from any legal consequences. It doesn't matter. They will never walk away from the social consequences. They are actually small fish in this matter. The big fish are the adults who allowed all of this to go on.

At all costs - they must be stopped! The system of justice in Steubenville must be cleaned up!

There has been rumors of another 14 year old girl who has stepped forward to report rape. It is unknown if there is a link between this girl and the rape crew. But I truly believe that there will be more girls stepping forward in the next couple of weeks.

Tired of Control freaks
edit on 1/6/2013 by kosmicjack because: removed name of victim

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I do believe that Sheriff will be the next to fall on his sword. He is a buffoon! Every time he opens his mouth, he is a joke and inflames the situation.

The official records shows that the police had heard rumors of the video but had been unable to locate it. This buffoon opens his mouth and reveals that the police had it all along. It is a pretty good bet that the video was NEVER entered into evidence at the time of the pre-trial!

When the defense attorneys talk about tainted evidence, they are talking about a video that was publically available on the internet before Anonymous drew the public's attention to it! When the talk about a poisoned jury, they are talking about a Juvenile proceeding where there is NO jury!

But the Sheriff who arrogantly spilled the freaking beans will have to answer to his political masters for his mouth.

Further, his rantings to "get" Anonymous are freakish in light of the fact that he has not also stated that he will "get" the rapists.

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Exactly!
Not to mention how many victims they would've amassed and others who would've been initiated into the Rape Crew. Imagine how many more debauched and illegal parties the coaches and officials would've had for underage sexual criminals. Someone had to throw a wrench into the works. Better late than never.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I sincerely hope they all are brought to justice, one way or another.

Lets hope the investigations include all those who took part, did nothing, or covered this up.

(not) metaphorical heads must roll.

And that Sharia law comment was a low blow. You (USA) need not adopt the entire law, but some punishments truly should fit the crime. And existing laws should be change to reflect this.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

LOL I wonder if the members of the Big Red football team are planning to show up wearing full uniforms at the trial in February?

Can you imagine what the victim felt like on that day?

I wonder if the teenagers in the town will be inclined to continue cyberbullying her?

I would say - in truth - that this victim has already received more justice and support that 99 % of other rape victims!

Imagine how good it made her feel to watch the rally and to understand that she is not alone and that there are people who don't think she was at fault.

By the way - the official website for the Town of Steubanville

steubenvillefacts.squarespace.com...

States this:

Nothing in Ohio’s criminal statutes makes it a crime for someone to ridicule a rape victim on a video or otherwise say horrible things about another person. Further, nothing in the law allows someone who says repugnant things on Twitter, Facebook, or other Internet sites to be criminally charged for such statements. Steubenville Police investigators are caring humans who recoil and are repulsed by many of the things th ey observe during an investigation. Like detectives in every part of America and the world, they are often frustrated when they emotionally want to hold people accountable for certain detestable behavior but realize that there is no statute that allows a criminal charge to be made.

But I do believe that Ohio has a law against cyber bullying

www.stopbullying.gov...

Why yes, yes they do!!! So much for the "facts" at the Steubanville Town official website of this matter!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I hope each individual responsible for wronging this young woman gets everything they deserve. I cannot express the rage I feel at this. I cannot express what would befall that town if it were my child.

Each and every person responsible for hurting this girl deserves to be punished severely.

Raist

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I wonder if the members of the Big Red football team are planning to show up wearing full uniforms at the trial in February?

Haha. I had expected to seem them at the rally in uniform doing crowd control.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius2150

"Good lord that's just terrible. We need a civilian justice system where the people decided what happens to these monsters and everyone that protects them."

we used to. it was called lynching. didnt turn out so well for the blacks though. thats the problem with civilain justice.
(but with video these days i say if yah got hard proof. F the sytem go shove as many shovel handles up their u know what and hang em from a tree.) i have not seen the videos yet, dont know if i want to because the sound of anyone acting like that just makes me sick. (let alone a whole town cover up) but if they do in fact show what has happend, screw the justice system, some things cant be repaired just by sending someone to jail or a settlement they are just lucky it was not my sister, we wouldnt need a justice system for them, they would need it for me after im done.

what we need is real people in the justice system to start weeding out the damn corruption and scum bags and work its way up the chain. but sadly when you have a president bailing out drug and gun runners at the highest possible chain of command, thats most likely not going to happen lol. this new government is all about fast and furious. they figure if they just bum rush us on 50 million topics a week theres NO WAY we'll find out the truth of whats going on in this country.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Doing some research into the laws of Ohio, I found this to be interesting:
www.defendingyourcase.com...

Serious Youthful Offender (SYO) and Juvenile Blended Sentencing

If a juvenile is qualified as a "serious youthful offender" or SYO, he may be tried in juvenile court and sentenced both as a juvenile and as an adult. In this case the adult sentence is suspended pending successful completion of the juvenile sentence. At any time while the juvenile is still in institutional custody, on escape status, or subject to parole, aftercare, or community control, the juvenile court may conduct a hearing to invoke the suspended adult portion of an SYO sentence. But the court may only invoke the adult sentence if clear and convincing evidence exists that the juvenile, after reaching the age of 14:
1.Committed a violation of institutional rules or conditions of supervision that rises to the level of a felony or violent first-degree misdemeanor, or
2.Engaged in conduct that "creates a substantial risk to the safety or security" of the community, the victim, or (in the case of juveniles who are still in custody) the institution, and
3.The violation or misconduct "demonstrates that the person is unlikely to be rehabilitated during the remaining period of juvenile jurisdiction."

From the above, it appears that there's still hope they will receive adult sentencing even if they're tried in juvenile court.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Obviously everyone is outraged over these vile acts. The complete lack of any thought of the impact on others lives and the obvious self gratification that these people have demonstrated. One has to wonder if this is a symptom of something that has crept into society on a grander scale than we realize. It needs to be addressed nationally, even globally. There are no doubt numerous gangs such as these all over America. They need to be weeded out in short order. These kids should be tried as adults and the trial should be given national attention. It should make the O.J. Simpson trial look trivial in comparison. We are reacting to this vile act. We should follow through and begin to address the solution, it is not over until we do, no matter what happens to these kids.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join