It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA misled 'Zero Dark Thirty' filmmakers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
According to the Associated Press, members of Congress are investigating the CIA for purposely misleading the ZDT filmmakers...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Lawmakers accused the CIA of misleading the makers of the Osama bin Laden raid film "Zero Dark Thirty" by allegedly telling them that harsh interrogation methods helped track down the terrorist mastermind.

The film shows waterboarding and similar techniques as important, if not key, to finding bin Laden in Pakistan, where he was killed by Navy SEALs in 2011.

A Senate Intelligence Committee investigation into the CIA's detainee program found that such methods produced no useful intelligence.

Surprised? I'm not.
Story here.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Not sure what to make of this.

Its clear that the film glorified torture.

So theyre upset about misrepresenting the use of torture but ok with the fact that theyve been torturing people for a decade (that we know of)...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I am not justifying torture but it is true that as a result of the euphemistically phrased “enhanced interrogation techniques” that led the CIA the courier as a possible lead to tracing down Bin Laden’s whereabouts.

This is reflected in the literature regarding his death, I would assume that congress are getting upset about this because they don’t want America to be seen as glorifying torture rather than it being inaccurate.

Also OP your link does not work for me

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I thought the movie was well crafted, and politically sanitized. Did not see either side get more credit than the other in regards to the subject matter. It just threw everything out there, and let the viewer decide what to make of it. Therefore, was there any cheerleading for the use of torture, or as the politicians would call it, "Enhanced Interrogations?" Not by my estimation, but only a depiction of the techniques used by the intelligence community at that time.

In other words, "Here it is, and you decide if it was justified or not?" I did not notice one instance where the film went out of its way to glorify it. In fact, the movie was more of a procedural drama than an action packed shooter. Most of it was all dialogue, and few spots of action here and there for good measure. Basically, it showed what I would expect a CIA analyst would do on a day to day basis in regards to flying out to some backwater, scouring over mountains of data, listening and watching interrogation recordings, and so on so forth. In other words, no Jack Bauer! The movie put out everything that is declassified for people to make up their own minds about how they feel about it.
edit on 5-1-2013 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I just finished watching it. If they were trying to glorify torture then they did a horrible job at it. Waterboarding was in it but they didn’t seem to be glorifying it.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Who cares? The movie was a waste of my time. Definitely one of the most boring movies ever made.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

IRONY
They are upset that the Truth of Torture in ZDT Paints the US in a Bad Light.

They are Fine with the Lies in Argo ,that Paint the US in a Good Light.

new topics

top topics

join