It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a confession to make

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
So I have expressed on ATS before my love for music, heavy metal and rock in particular. There are parts of nearly every genre which I enjoy, my playlist can go from AHa to Tool, and from Tupac to the Beatles. The only genres of music that I can honestly say I do not enjoy is hard core gangster rap (you know the disgusting pointless one that's all about money, guns and drugs) and modern pop (Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Ke$ha, etc), I hate them because its always been so corporate and formula, sacrificing art for profit and quality for mediocrity. But I have for a while now listened to an artist that has made me question all my previous stances on music, it has kind of been my dirty little secret, I have gone so far to outright deny my love for the music and even attempt to hate it to keep up my cover as some sort of artsy rock guy, its embarrassing so I might as well just come out and say it.

*breathes deeply*

I love Katy Perry...yeah there I said it.

It was from the first moment I heard her song Part of Me, I was around some friends at the time and they were expressing their dislike for the song and I was thinking "Holy crap! This chick rocks!". I had previously joined in their criticisms of other modern pop stars which I have always disliked, but this time I just stood there silently simply nodding at them when they looked at me laughing at what they perceived as a horrid smear on music.

For a very long time I hated trance (and most other electronic music) not for any logical reason only because I wanted to agree with most of my friends and disagree with my brother, but after I started listening to it and going to clubs with my brother realized that I had always liked it and simply was being stubborn trying to be cool and a rebel. I have always been a very harsh critic of music, movies, and all other forms of art/entertainment, but I now see that criticism is very very subjective and really is only objective in rare cases, it is all in the end opinion.

Katy Perry does not come off to me as most artists in the industry, she just seems a little more genuine than many others. I still don't like that she is part of a corporate label, but the majority of artists now days are so I should not be surprised.

So what do you say ATS? Have I lost all credibility as a music critic? Have I been hypnotized by some Illuminati agent trying to slowly take my soul? All comments are appreciated, and this is for the minority (if even that) on ATS which shares my opinion.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm not going to judge you man, anymore than I already have.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Komonazmuk

Thanks man

I feel like I just came out of some musical closet

I best watch out for some angry indie music fans with pitch forks and torches who wish to sacrifice me to their God Radiohead wicker man style

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Your avatar can't use it's ability without some sort of global effect altering power/toughness; It would go to the graveyard as a state based action immediately after it resolves. The ability is powerful, but is based on getting into play or another ability like the one found on Necrotic Ooze. It might never see a spot in a GP winning deck, but with that combo it could definitely be fun to sneak into the metagame. At 0cmc I would rather play Ornithopter with one of the swords

On topic: Don't feel bad, I like MC Hammer

edit on 4-1-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by forgetmenot

You know I thought about that when I made the card but I left it the way it was because I did not think anyone would notice, you just proved me wrong
but you got to admit its a pretty cool avatar.

On topic: I think we all love something that most people just believe is crap.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It is good to be open minded and take in all sorts of genres...dare i say it, even modern pop...

I do not enjoy most modern music entertainment, but at least i attempt to listen to it when i am asked to

Even though i dislike modern Pop etc, i have to say that Katy Perry is probably the best singer out of the lot (Lady Gaga etc).

Still...Nothing beats the old stuff

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
"Do you ever feel, like a plastic bag, flowing through the wind" No Katy, I cast say I do, in fact I find it hard to even imagine to feel like that specific event...

Probably one of the top three worst rhymes of 2012.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Yeah, that's a pretty cool avatar. And an bad*** ability! I just had to say something, I knew you'd get the silly critique

I totally get what you mean though. Everyone has that artist or genre that just repulses them, just like every artist or genre has a number one fan.
edit on 4-1-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Didn't she say she sold her soul to the devil for fame? Quite a price to pay just to stand in the street and sing "I've done nothing wrong."

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Aw Openeye, don't worry, we all have our dirty little secrets.

Since you stepped up to the confessional I will do the same as a show of solidarity.

I just recently found out that I like (shhhhh) Justin Bieber

Well this song anyway...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Well I have seen a lot of videos where an artist says they "sold their soul to the devil" which quite honestly is a figure of speech or an expression, it means that they did something to get popular they are not necessarily proud of like signing with some exploitative record label, or doing a popular genre of music just to get popular.

In Katy Perry's case she (under her real name Katy Hudson) did christian rock music because her family is very conservative, but by doing that she became known for her singing and was able to expand her knowledge and once she was old enough moved to LA and began to pursue the genre that she really loved.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

i love katy berry cause she has blue eyes dark hair and a rack that can never be questioned, her music though never really has made me want to listen, but i will say she has a pretty voice, my two sense

top topics

join