It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with some questions from my grandson for a class project.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
My grandson asked the following questions and being of the elder generation I need a little memory help.

Questions were

In your opinion, what has been the most significant political event to occur in your lifetime?

What event has most affected society? ( labor unions, desegregation, wars, etc)

I am at a loss for the most part.

I am thinking the most significant political event was the death of Kennedy because it changed my views of the world and especially my government. I began to distrust, tho I can't say that.

Any help would be appreciated as I have trouble remembering so much that has happened in the last 60+ years.

Thanks ATS

edit on 3-1-2013 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'm still fairly young, so I'm not sure how helpful my responses will be.

"In your opinion, what has been the most significant political event to occur in your lifetime?"

For me, I would have to say the events of 9/11/01 and the invention and activation of the Patriot Act. I will not going into the conspiracy side of 9/11, so my answer to this question, specifically, would be the activation of the Patriot Act. With it, I realized that any 'freedom' we may have, can be taken away at any point.

"What event has most affected society? ( labor unions, desegregation, wars, etc) "

I am also tempted to reply "9/11" as well to this question. In my lifetime, this has been the major event. Yes, I was alive for Columbine, and the OKC bombings, but those, to me, pale to the events of 9/11.

I would also expand that further to war in general. For pretty much the last 100 years, the US has either been preparing for war, participating in war, or recovering from war.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Dear liveandlearn,

In your opinion, what has been the most significant political event to occur in your lifetime?

Some might say the fall of the Soviet Union, some might say the creation of the European Union. I will say the space race that came about because of the cold war. It changed everything, turned the west into a technological society and brought about too many new technologies to count, including the personal computer.

What event has most affected society?

This question is tricky because we don't know how what is happening today in regards to the world economy will play out in the future; therefore, the question only looks at what has already effected society. I would say television has most effected society because it led to instant information and many shared experiences.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

On the question of what event has most affected society is that meant in the political sense or just in general? If the question is meant in a political sense and you are in your 60s I would go with either the ending of WW2, the nuclear arms race or desegregation. If the question is open for other interpretation you might consider landing the first man on the moon or the more recent technological revolution (just imagine how much technology has advanced in the past 20 years). Hope I was helpful.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Politically speaking? In 1964 the Civil Rights Act was passed, and less than 60 years later we had our first African American President. I would say that all on it's own is pretty significant. There were however many other political events during that period, but this was one that will be looked back on in the history books as one of the brighter more positive political landmarks.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The fall of the Soviet Union.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Dear SpaDe,

Having lived prior to the Voting Rights Act and having seen segregation I agree with you if the question is limited to the United States. I remember going into Watts before the riots with my father and returning home to not see a single black for years except on television. I was assuming he meant internationally, if the question only refers to the United States then I am with you.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

And the fall of the Berlin Wall.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

In his lifetime?

If he's under 20 there's plenty.

911. Yes it was political in many, many ways.

Patriot Act.

NAFTA (?)

Election of the first black President.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I am not sure if it was exclusive to the US either, if not I would say the space race was another really big and positive event as well. Not many people who have seen that broadcast will ever forget the first walk on the moon.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dear tothetenthpower,

I think you are right. The OP mentioned 60 years and I assumed that is part of the question; but, it was asked of his grandson so it would be in the last 12 to 18 years probably. If so, I want to give a new answer.

Greatest political event - The international treaties that led to globalization.

Most significant event - The housing bubbles in the west that led to our eventual economic crisis.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Dear SpaDe,

I remember my parents putting our television at our front door, we had a 25# color, and all the neighbors sitting near the pool (we lived in an apartment complex) and watching as we landed on the moon. What a moment that was. Peace.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The iphone and mobile technology.
How many people you see everyday,staring at their phones or devices totally ignoring the world around them.
What kind of problems is it causing,like car crashes and ignorance.
It's obvious.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Dear liveandlearn,

Perhaps you can help us by telling us the age of your grandson and whether or not the question is limited to the United States, assuming you are in the United States.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
To all who have replied. Thank you...the things I have forgotten. Wow.

I think it is about my lifetime to help the class become aware of events they may not be familiar. My grandson is 12. And I think it refers to the world in general as it has affected our society.

9/11 yes because of the patriot act

I thought about the continuous wars including the cold war. I was born at the end of WW2. As I recall we had Korea, Vietnam, some minor wars I can't recall, Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya (NATO).

I was young when desegregation began and I really never understood the problem anyway. Though I am from the south, I recall questioning my grandmother when she said we were better than 'blacks'. Ha! We were poor uneducated country folk too. I denied were were better at age 12.

Globalization is good but I think it would go above the head of 12 year olds as that has been essentially the world they live in.

As I was contemlpating this I recalled how society has changed because of the internet and the proliferation of easy information.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn

Wikileaks and the revolutions in Europe due to the information it made available.

What event has most affected society? ( labor unions, desegregation, wars, etc)

Modern, mobile phone communication. It has brought a big change in how we communicate, especially the younger generation...who are the future.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

the magna carta has links to everything that has happened since both good and bad
edit on 4-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Originally posted by bjax9er

And the fall of the Berlin Wall.

And the return of Hong Kong to China.
Just look at how much that country has boomed since then,
and the resulting impact to the whole world.

Just my two cents... hope this helped.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

The answer to one is the vietnam war and to the other
the civil rights movement in the 60's.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thank you everyone. You have helped me make a decision amongst the many events in the last 60 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join