It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New work, somber piano melodies .. opinions please?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I always come to ATS to share my work and in the past it's been everything from electronic, ambient oddness and experimental madness.. but today I wanted to share some somber melodies and ask what you think?

Artwork:

Free to listen, no limits ..
music.oneduality.com...

What do you think, ATS? .. it's just a short EP at about 7 tracks long and around 16+ minutes in length all together.. about half the length of my typical work... attached is the artwork
edit on 1/3/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I greatly enjoy ambient music, and I thought your work was well done and nice to listen to, kudos! Of course because of personal tastes some pieces stood out more then others, but all were listenable

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

I greatly enjoy ambient music, and I thought your work was well done and nice to listen to, kudos! Of course because of personal tastes some pieces stood out more then others, but all were listenable

Thank you =) .. the problem I have as a musician is that I'm inspired by such a wide range of artists .. everything from Nine Inch Nails to Enigma ... Mozart to VNV Nation .. I often find myself having trouble focusing on a single project.. I have a dozen or so half finished compilations of music of varying genres ..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Wow my compliments! I can't explain the feelings I had listening to each track each one
different memories that were stored in my mind so strangely beautifully intoxicating I loved them! !!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by starlitestarbrite
Wow my compliments! I can't explain the feelings I had listening to each track each one
different memories that were stored in my mind so strangely beautifully intoxicating I loved them! !!!!

My sincerest appreciation for you taking the time to have a listen! I'm glad you liked it =)

More of my work is along the bottom of that page, but not all of it is in this style .. you might check out Silent Promises at music.oneduality.com... .. there's also another which is ironically not named much different .. "Silent" .. which has more of an Enigma feel overall.

Thank you very much =)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Okay ...POINT blank I love your work, listened to the other tracks they are as beautiful
as the first ones ! I closed my eyes and listened to each one and each one gave me different feelings.
I do feel sorry for people that can't hear or feel what i do ... their loss I suppose. LOVE them !!!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by starlitestarbrite
Okay ...POINT blank I love your work, listened to the other tracks they are as beautiful
as the first ones ! I closed my eyes and listened to each one and each one gave me different feelings.
I do feel sorry for people that can't hear or feel what i do ... their loss I suppose. LOVE them !!!

I don't think I've ever gotten such nice compliments =) .. I used to write a lot of poetry that was very emotional from since I was a child, my mother found it and was CONVINCED I was suicidal .. it upset her, so from them on I never wrote another word.. I played piano since I was 7 .. I decided to try to channel those feelings another way so I devoted all of that energy to music.. that's why my music goes across the board in style and feeling.. from happy to sad, from light to dark .. I think it's critical that people deal with feelings head on and in a constructive way.. learning how to do that is important

Ironically .. the same emotions conveyed in my music that I was trying to convey with words before... she absolutely loves, she's one of my biggest fans .. it's all about interpretation

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for with regards to opinions. I sing (classical) so I don't know how much use I'll be to you, but I'll give it a shot.

I think your melodies are good overall, in some of the songs the rhythm can get a little too driving though. I would have liked to see a bit more rhythmical variety (seems a little 4 on the floorish at times). Protem was the standout for me. Overall good work.
edit on 3-1-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Well, I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for with regards to opinions. I sing (classical) so I don't know how much use I'll be to you, but I'll give it a shot.

I think your melodies are good overall, in some of the songs the rhythm can get a little too driving though. I would have liked to see a bit more rhythmical variety (seems a little 4 on the floorish at times). Protem was the standout for me. Overall good work.
edit on 3-1-2013 by antonia because: opps

I sincerely appreciate the honesty, especially from someone with a musical background.. I suppose that has to do with my extreme influences from many different genres .. There's a Nine Inch Nails, VNV Nation, Enya, TOOL, Enigma fan just waiting to pop at any given moment ..

This is an example of where multiple influences clashed considerably, but I'm personally happy with it .. what do you think of this? this one is only on my youtube channel ..

Another that fits that I guess would be this one .. but the piano is a bit more intense in this than the music surrounding it ..

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

What recording software studio are you using. I have been using 10 year old version of Cubbasis which is probably outdated by current standards. Is there any good free recording software with a library of virtual instrumentation?

Heres instrumental i made up using the virtual studio of instruments in cubbasis.

soundcloud.com.../a-pirates-life-is-fun

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

VNV Nation is def 4 on the floor almost 90% of the time so I get that. I like pretty much everything you listed there, the only one I can quibble with is NIN and it's mostly because I burnt myself out on it. I don't turn it off unless it's "Closer" though. I'd rather listen to Grendel or something like that.

I have been asked to sing Enya style on a few occasions and I find it difficult not because it's hard material by any means but rather stylistically it doesn't suit my voice at all. I am not proud of my pianissimo at all. Tool is something I can and have done though lol. I'm not good at ethereal and i'm just not proud of that. I go from about Ab3 to C6 when I am in good form but my voice is a bit darker than your average Soprano.

Now, the music you posted is good, but it suffers from a lack of a definitive ending to me. It just feels like it stops and I'm sitting there thinking "It doesn't feel like it should have". The ending resolution needs to be a bit stronger I think. I will say you keep it neat, many synth driven artists I hear really clutter up their music. It's as if they have to throw everything in there, less is more to me, but that's just me.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

VNV Nation is def 4 on the floor almost 90% of the time so I get that. I like pretty much everything you listed there, the only one I can quibble with is NIN and it's mostly because I burnt myself out on it. I don't turn it off unless it's "Closer" though. I'd rather listen to Grendel or something like that.

I have been asked to sing Enya style on a few occasions and I find it difficult not because it's hard material by any means but rather stylistically it doesn't suit my voice at all. I am not proud of my pianissimo at all. Tool is something I can and have done though lol. I'm not good at ethereal and i'm just not proud of that. I go from about Ab3 to C6 when I am in good form but my voice is a bit darker than your average Soprano.

Now, the music you posted is good, but it suffers from a lack of a definitive ending to me. It just feels like it stops and I'm sitting there thinking "It doesn't feel like it should have". The ending resolution needs to be a bit stronger I think. I will say you keep it neat, many synth driven artists I hear really clutter up their music. It's as if they have to throw everything in there, less is more to me, but that's just me.

Do you have any examples of your work I could listen to? I'm very interested

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

What recording software studio are you using. I have been using 10 year old version of Cubbasis which is probably outdated by current standards. Is there any good free recording software with a library of virtual instrumentation?

Heres instrumental i made up using the virtual studio of instruments in cubbasis.

soundcloud.com.../a-pirates-life-is-fun

Fixed your link .. it's ... click

I use logic pro on a mac primarily now, but I also use protools.. and still prefer to do final mixing on a pc using Acid many times... mostly because mixing takes very little processing power so I can take the pre-rendred tracks and mix them easily anywhere I am on my laptop.

I started with FL Studio and Acid so I revert to the familiar .. but Logic and Protools have their merits.. .. I can hear the melody you're going for but the instrumentation needs adjusted .. it runs together a bit in my opinion .. it makes it a bit noisier than you probably intend and drowns out the actual melody.. just my thoughts...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Na, I am not an original artist. I do have some video of me singing English art song but I'd be too embarrassed to post it publicly. I study classical and my intent is to finish my degree and pursue opera roles.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Na, I am not an original artist. I do have some video of me singing English art song but I'd be too embarrassed to post it publicly. I study classical and my intent is to finish my degree and pursue opera roles.

PM me if you would =) entirely up to you ..

But there's value in putting yourself out there.. that's why I do it .. I welcome criticism, even the negative, it lets me know what I need to do better
if there's something wrong then it doesn't help me if I keep it to myself, it only helps me to let it be heard.. that's exactly why I put these threads out there.. I value the feedback immensely.. sometimes it's made me rethink my work and make adjustments for the better.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Well, if I could do it with a paper bag over my head I'd probably have tons of videos up.

I'll see what I can do and PM you later...probably tomorrow, been drinking.
edit on 3-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well, if I could do it with a paper bag over my head I'd probably have tons of videos up.

haha no pressure... spread your wings

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I'd give you a dozen more stars if I could....

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well this thread died out pretty quick so I'm not sure that my work was that well received overall.. for those who commented, thank you very much! it meant a lot to me.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It's chill, send me any more work you do. I'll gladly listen to it.

top topics

join