It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient site needs saving not destroying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

The CNN article proposes a very revealing comparison, imagine Macchu Pichu being bulldozed and demolitioned to make way for mines or malls. Hoards of people would likely rush to the ancient site to prevent loss of such mysterious, ancient symbols. Yet that is whats being done to multiple historical sites in Afghanistan mostly by US Contractors, but the locals are already exterminated in the interest of mining out this seized country by Imperial America to the max.

It's like invading New York and/or DC, poisoning the water food and gene poll for millenia to come with thousands of tons of Uranium, and leveling all historical and cultural icons like the skyscrapers, Statue of Liberty. Central Park, White House, etc and no one doing anything about it (scenes from the series 'Fringe?)!

Today Afghanistan (and wherever else); eventually USA. What goes around comes back around, no?

edit on Sun Jan 6 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: title edit to reflect source

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

If the Chinese, US or corporate entity don't destroy it the extremist element of Islam, being the Taliban, will.

Either way, if it's in a muslim country with extremist rule and carries non-islamic tradition/religion consider it gone. If it's in the way of corporate interests in a non-western (even western, in extreme cases) country consider it gone.

It's the world we live in and it sucks.
edit on 3-1-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It seems that it is ok to destroy history for the almighty dollar and it is bad only when the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas for religious reasons.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
It's like invading New York and/or DC, poisoning the water food and gene poll for millenia to come with thousands of tons of Uranium, and leveling all historical and cultural icons like the skyscrapers, Statue of Liberty. Central Park, White House, etc and no one doing anything about it (scenes from the series 'Fringe?)!

As if the Taliban were doing just fine taking care of their Ancient relics?

Also, Try again.

Your obviously bias Iranian PressTV left out that China and India have the lions share of the Afghan resource grab...

Chinese Takeout

Cold economic realities dictate that China is going to be the big player in the new Afghan gold rush -- and Washington had better wake up to that fact, soon.

Mining Afghanistan

Afghanistan sits on gargantuan deposits of untapped mining resources. And while the U.S. has been fighting al-Qaeda and the Taliban, China and India have started securing mineral rights

Afghanistan Becomes First Country To Have Minerals Mapped

In 2008, the China Metallurgical Group Corporation made a successful bid of $3 billion for mineral rights to the Mes Aynak site, which geologists believe has the second-largest copper reserves in the world.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
DP NVM
edit on 3-1-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My first reaction to this thread is one of disappointment. Unlike what the headline would lead us to believe, the United States isn't even mentioned in the OP's source article.

Mes Aynak is set for destruction at the end of December 2012. All of the temples, monasteries, statues as well as the Bronze age material will all be destroyed by a Chinese government-owned company called China Metallurgical Group Corporation (MCC). Six villages and the mountain range will also be destroyed to create a massive open-pit style copper mine.
The article also notes that the Taliban and some locals are currently attacking the site.

While Afghans are currently attacking the site, Chinese operations weren't scheduled to begin for three years after the agreement was signed.

I don't know how the article came to be interpreted by the OP as it was, but I hope it wasn't because of knee-jerk "I hate America" feelings.
edit on 3-1-2013 by charles1952 because: Correction of time

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Re: Taliban would destroy it all if US didnt
Followup: Taliban dropped nukes & uranium on where?? And what about Taliban being on CIA/US payroll for decades?

Re: India & China are accepting some of the mining contracts, so blame them too.
Look at a map, arent they local neighbors? Unlike Americans. Still yet, they didnt bomb Afghanistan (and dozens upon dozens of countries all over the globe).

Why has the psyche of Americans reverted to the likes of children, including in the "Apologetics" department. Have they gotten than delusionally ruthless? (Course I'd say yes, yes, yes!)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

The US/CIA pay whoever suites them and then makes them an enemy when it suites....and then pays them for assistance yet again when it suites.

The Taliban destroyed the opium fields. The US invaded. The US are now assisting in the propagation of opium yet again, despite what mainstream wants you to believe.

Drugs are against Islamic law. The taliban enforce this law to extremes. Part of their enforcement of that law means removing ancient sites that aren't islamic. I hate this practice of destroying ancient sites because they take the shine away from the current religion in power. Saudi Arabia also have hidden ancient sites that, while not destroying them, certainly don't proclaim them to the world.

You're being ignorant. I respect your anger at the certain destruction of this site but to aim the blame solely at the US and China is silly when the religious element within the country would have done the same thing, and are probably happy to see it happen. Sure, UNESCO should step in but the 3 BILLION DOLLAR deal has been done.
edit on 3-1-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
So why the hell is someone trying to make that article about US mining when the caption clearly reads:

A Buddhist statue overlooks a Chinese government-owned mining compound in Logar province, Afghanistan. Mes Aynak, a 2,600-year-old Buddhist site, could be destroyed in December to create a massive copper mine.

I know some people love to vilify the US, and those same people love to vilify corporations, but hey Karzai is laughing all the way to the bank.

So is China, and other countries who did not do anything for the "war effort".

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So why the hell is someone trying to make that article about US mining

Because the US is the invading conqueror. The Afghan government cannot do diddly without war council approval from the US.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Because the US is the invading conqueror. The Afghan government cannot do diddly without war council approval from the US.

So you are saying that the Afghan government cannot do anything without the OK of the US War Council?

First off, what is this War Council? I have never seen mention or reference to it.

Secondly, the US is the invading conqueror? Right. Which city's are we controlling again?

I understand that you hate the US and what it does and what it stands for, but PLEASE at least try to make your arguments sound like they have some basis in fact.

Danno

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DoorKnobEddie

I'd reference the Afghan Northern Alliance....

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MoparDanno

First off, what is this War Council? I have never seen mention or reference to it.

War councils are abnormal authorities that rule a conquered country. They are the usual imperial apparatchiks; generals, politicians, spies, torturers, bankers, fascistic corporations (Britain had the East India Company in the conquest of India).

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I disagree with the US doing this because I'm Australian and I want our resources to keep booming and it wont happen if Afghanistan keeps getting mined!

Boo America Boo

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Mods,
Why is this thread still open, or not moved to the proper political forum, it is just a vehicle for modern political angst, and for people to express their diskke for a modern political entity.
Beyond the opening statement there has been NO discussion of the site in question or its history.
And this has already been covered here, without the rampant political bias.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join