It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy Has Been 'Scientifically Proven' to be Real... Again

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Some people just can't help but attempt to force the same dogmatic beliefs down the throats of others...Sharing your opinion is one thing, attempting to be a mouthpiece through which to brainwash everybody into following said opinion is an entirely different matter all together...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Also gotta love how they are the only ones to pick and choose what is considered a legitimate 'source'.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Also gotta love how they are the only ones to pick and choose what is considered a legitimate 'source'.

Actually Veritas, in order for an experiment to be considered legitimate, it must adhere to what's called the scientific method. If it doesn't follow this simple and beautiful protocol, yet still claims itself as science, it is rightly called pseudoscience.

Also, scientific experiments must take negative results into consideration, which the salesmen and people like the OP fail to do. This is the very definition of a closed mind.

Psi advocates have a huge history of being frauds and fakes. To not be skeptical of such deception would be to have the intelligence or naivety of a child.

In order for psi to build any scientific foundation, it must first somehow debunk physics or at least admit that psi is physical. Do that and we may have something to talk about or at least a foundation to work with.

Since we're only sharing biased research, I will add another parapsychologist's findings to the mix. Dr. Susan Blackmore has a MsC and PhD in Parapsychology. Here's what she had to say about her 12 years trying to prove psi:

While I was at Surrey I was lucky enough to be given the chance to teach a parapsychology class. It attracted more than a hundred students. so I had plenty of subjects for my experiments. I began three kinds of tests. First, I predicted a positive correlation between ESP and memory. That is, if memory and ESP are aspects of the same process, then the same people should be good at both of them. I did many tests of this kind (Blackmore 1980a). Second, I predicted that the best target materials for ESP should not be those that are easy to perceive, but those that are easy to remember. I did a series of experiments with different target materials (Blackmore 1981a). Third I predicted that the errors and confusions made in ESP should more closely resemble those made in memory than those made in perception. I had high hopes for this method since the study of errors has always been so useful in psychology, for example, in the study of visual illusions. I also did many experiments to test this (Blackmore 1981b). However, the only noteworthy thing about all of the results was the number that were not significant.

After a long series of experiments I had no replicable findings and only a large collection of negative results. Clearly they could not answer my original questions. nor test my special theory. Some of you may already be protesting: What an idiot. Why didn’t she just give up and do something useful instead? But I would have responded: This could be useful! If ESP exists, it could be one of the most important findings for science; and in any case you can never tell in advance what research will be useful in the end. You may also be thinking, as many people said at the time: "Oh but this is just what you’d expect. She has only shown that there is no psi." But of course I hadn’t done that, and couldn’t do that. No amount of negative results can prove the nonexistence of psi. Psi might always be right around the next corner, and there were plenty of corners to look around.

She summarizes the deceit of psi advocates quite brilliantly:

I can conclude that all my negative results did teach me something. Or am I perhaps only trying to get my 50-cents worth? A few years ago I read an article in the British Psychological Society Bulletin about the "Royal Nonesuch of Parapsychology." The author, H. B. Gibson (1979), described Mark Twain’s wonderful story of cognitive dissonance, about the show that never was. Many people were lured into paying 50 cents to see a nonexistent show, but instead of decrying the fraud they went out and persuaded others to see it and pay their 50 cents too. Gibson was reminded of this tale, he said, by a conference paper given by a woman who had spent two years in fruitless research on parapsychology. He suggested that parapsychology is only kept going by the "very human tendency to try to get one’s 50-cents worth after one has been misled . . . by an unkind fate which has led one into an immense expense of effort in a blind alley."

The Elusive Open Mind: Ten Years of Negative Research in Parapsychology

Let's hope the OP somehow gets his 50-cents worth.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

Some people just can't help but attempt to force the same dogmatic beliefs down the throats of others...Sharing your opinion is one thing, attempting to be a mouthpiece through which to brainwash everybody into following said opinion is an entirely different matter all together...

I agree, the OP has been relentless in spamming the thread with material purely because he believes it presents a proof.
The OP has little understanding, if any at all, of the actual material. The OP has consistently refused to discuss the actual material and what it actually states because he prefers to have us believe the material is scientific proof when it is not that at all.

When confronted with opinions contrary to his own personal belief, which in many cases where the very studies he was linking, the OP has simply behaved exactly as you so eloquently state:

force the same dogmatic beliefs down the throats of others.......attempting to be a mouthpiece through which to brainwash everybody into following said opinion...

I'll repeat that again. The OP's statements and claims have been contradicted by the very studies he was linking in order to present the belief that telepathy and PSI have been scientifically proven.

The OP continues to ignore this fact.

Sounds dogmatic to me!

dog·mat·ic (dôg-mtk, dg-)
adj.
1. Relating to, characteristic of, or resulting from dogma.
2. Characterized by an authoritative, arrogant assertion of unproved or unprovable principles. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
edit on 11/1/13 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro
The OP's statements and claims have been contradicted by the very studies he was linking in order to present the belief that telepathy and PSI have been scientifically proven.

The OP continues to ignore this fact.

It's not a fact, darling. The way it works in science is some experiments are positive, some are negative. No single experiment or handful of experiments can settle the issue. Only when considering the entire body of parapsychological evidence as a unit, which has been accumulating for over a century, can one get an idea of how overwhelmingly in favor of the psi hypothesis the massive body of evidence is. Not by isolating a few negative studies.

But why should I bother explaining something that should be obvious?

Transpersonal Psychology, Parapsychology, and Neurobiology: Clarifying their Relations

Neurobiological advances have resulted in growing interest in many psychological phenomena heretofore resistant to scientific scrutiny, including within transpersonal psychology and parapsychology. These advances perhaps can resolve longstanding tensions between these two psychological subdisciplines, which have generally been treated as disparate. To implement such a rapprochement requires more than just additional empirical findings, as theoretical development is also needed.

Consequently, we identify some important theoretical problems, such as conventional assumptions about scientific naturalism and materialism that potentially undermine substantive advances in further understanding such phenomena through neurobiology. We also discuss links between parapsychology and transpersonal psychology that can be forged through neurobiology (e.g., identifying specific brain regions that can serve as candidates for future investigations in parapsychology and transpersonal psychology).

edit on 12-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

It's not a fact, darling.

It is a fact you have ignored that the studies you link categorically show that PSI does not exists.

The way it works in science is some experiments are positive, some are negative. No single experiment or handful of experiments can settle the issue.

I am glad that you point out that there is a way science works. All the studies you link do not use science, they use statistical analysis.

They state that the studies are unrepeatable, this is not science. Results should be repeatable.
Also, Radin regularly post hocs results when confronted with criticism. Again, this is not science this is tweaking results in order to prove what you want to find.
Again, this is not science.

Further more, the vast majority of the links you provide report CORRELATIONS. Correlations do not prove a cause. Your links make the assumption that the correlations are caused by the phenomena they are searching for because the have found a correlation whilst searching. This is a biased assumption, and a common one. This is not science.

So yeah, glad you know how science works!

Only when considering the entire body of parapsychological evidence as a unit, which has been accumulating for over a century, can one get an idea of how overwhelmingly in favor of the psi hypothesis the massive body of evidence is. Not by isolating a few negative studies.

But why should I bother explaining something that should be obvious?

Dude, if you really think this is the first time I have debated this topic then you are even dimmer than the evidence of this thread shows.
I have gone over all the information you have linked. None of it, individually or as a "unit" shows anything other than a history of bias, statistical "hyperbole" and a blatant disregard for the evidence arguing against the proposition that PSI and telepathy exist.

Let me show you again why you have been schooled time and time again by numerous posters on this thread:

Transpersonal Psychology, Parapsychology, and Neurobiology: Clarifying their Relations

mindset that the paradigmatic assumptions of science
will ultimately need to be revised to accommodate the
study of transpersonal and parapsychological phenomena

Wow, we need to change science because it doesn't agree with us!
boohoo!

Here is your problem in a nutshell Batman.

While there has been a tendency of researchers
(at least within the mainstream) to differentiate and
compartmentalize spiritual/transpersonal and parapsych-
ological data
, there is growing theoretical and empirical
literature to support the integration of the two with
parapsychological data being subsumed as an emergent
part of spiritual development
(e.g., Beauregard &
O’Leary, 2007; Braud, 2004; Griffin, 1997; Levin, 2001).

You need to realise that Science is not spirituality.

Religion deals with spirituality. Science deals with describing and understanding the material world.

When you can separate the two, your problem should be quickly resolved.

If you use science to prove PSI and Telepathy then you relegate it to being a material aspect of the world and thus it must be a material aspect of the universe dependent upon the laws of nature. This means that it must be separated and not integrated from spirituality.

The link merely attacks science for being science whilst arguing it needs to integrate and accommodate religious beliefs into its paradigm.

Epic Fail.

edit on 12/1/13 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Book marking for further reading later.

The bickering is very boring.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Ha! Already 6 ears of Absolutely... Effective EXACT Telepathy (Sy-T way): tech.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Ha! Already 6 ears of Absolutely... Effective EXACT Telepathy (Sy-T way): tech.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
Telepathy is part of the human software. But researchers have it mostly wrong. You are asked to identify particular details which mean nothing to your soul like Zener cards. The score will drop after a while because Zener cards are deadly boring.
That's not what the astral is good about, with the exception of Remote Viewing protocols that you can certainly try to get a methodical approach of a pre-posted target only known by numbers.

It is far more interesting to zoom in on another person and try to get their thoughts and feelings in general. And some non-verbal emotional stuff that is basic to their mode of existence... And you can do this with your friends, your child, your grandma, the shopkeeper etc.

By whatever regime, develop it end exercise it because then you will get a far more interesting next life instead of getting to Plastic Heaven - the corporate version of the afterworld...

The score drops over time because the longer it goes on and the more cards that you see, the smaller and smaller the likelyhood that the positive results are the result of random chance.

Take a quarter and flip it in the air ten times. Concentrate on "heads." If heads comes up ten times are you telekinetic? Not necessarily becasue that result could simply be a result of random chance. Now repeat that 1000 times and watch the numbers change to 50/50.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
the only way i believe telepathy works from human to human is technology, something interfaced between two brains, otherwise i dont belive it happens naturally.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join