It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy Has Been 'Scientifically Proven' to be Real... Again

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
To everyone wondering why we haven't learned telepathy yet:

A UFO crashes in a field. The military claims it. People reveal they can astral project. They are taken by the military. We develop AI. The military calls dibs on it.

If we were to master telepathy, do you really think we'd only use it for peaceful purposes? Haha, give me a break.

Parapsychological findings must be disseminated throughout science. Otherwise, the military will continue to develop it while simultaneously "debunking" it to the public.

The result is a populace with no psychic defense against tyranny.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Since some of you folk keep regurgitating what the Institute of Noetic Science thinks constitutes science (What the Bleep, Global Consciousness Project, Dean Radin) like so many parrots, maybe it would be in your best interests if you became a member there so that you can be without the skeptics you hate so much. You would probably have the perfect choir to preach to.

They need your money to continue researching human potential:
Institute of Noetic Sciences membership
IONS Stoe
Support Institute of Noetic Sciences

Cheers.

LesMis

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

like so many parrots, maybe it would be in your best interests if you became a member there so that you can be without the skeptics you hate so much. You would probably have the perfect choir to preach to.

They need your money to continue researching human potential:

So every single institute that appreciates donations and grants to continue research in their particular areas of study are worthless leeches of the public fund? Or maybe it's just that everything costs money. Even knowledge and understanding. It's not like Tesla and Edison didn't spend a dime on their inventions. Innovation is an expensive practice.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Just trying to help.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Just clarifying. Thanks for your input.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by BlueMule

Okay, let's say it's real...

Any guesses on what it is or how it works?

Sure, there are many theoretical models. Here is a link to a few.

www.princeton.edu...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Just trying to help.

Uh-huh. Right.

If any of you actually believe that debunkers and disinfo agents are "just trying to help", then I have a bridge in San Francisco that I will sell to you dirt cheap.

Skeptical Misdirection

Suppressed Parapsychology

edit on 4-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hey guys! Guess what! Psi has been 'scientifically proven' yet again!

Predicting the Unpredictable: 75 Years of Experimental Evidence

Abstract

From time immemorial, people have reported foreknowledge of future events. To determine whether such experiences are best understood via conventional explanations, or whether a retrocausal phenomenon might be involved in some instances, researchers have conducted hundreds of controlled laboratory experiments over the past 75 years. These studies fall into four general classes, and each class has generated repeatable evidence consistent with retrocausation. The statistical results for a class of forced-choice studies is associated with odds against chance of about 1024; for a class of free-response studies, odds about 1020; for psychophysiological-based studies, odds about 1017; and for implicit decision studies, odds about 1010.

Effect sizes observed in the latter three classes are nearly identical, indicating replication of similar underlying effects. These effects are also in close agreement with the average effect size observed across thousands of conventional psychological experiments, suggesting that retrocausal phenomena may not be especially unique, at least not in terms of commonly observed psychological phenomena. Bayesian analyses of the most recent classes of experiments confirm that the evidence is strongly in favor of a genuine effect, with Bayes Factors ranging from 13,669 to 1 for implicit decision experiments, to 2.9 x 1013 to 1 for psychophysiological designs.

For the two most recent classes of studies examining retrocausal effects via unconscious physiological or behavioral measures, 73 of 82 studies (89%) reported by 23 different laboratories from the United States, Italy, Spain, Holland, Austria, Sweden, England, Scotland, Iran, Japan, and Australia, have produced results in the direction predicted by a retrocausal effect (odds against chance = 1.5 x 1013, via a sign test). Assessment of the methodologies used in these studies has not identified plausible conventional alternatives for the observed outcomes, suggesting the existence of a genuine retrocausal phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Smart man BlueMule.

I was underhandedly pointing out where these 'scientific' studies are coming from.

It would be best if we at least told our fellow readers that the IONS is listed on Quackwatch. And they should be weary of any pseudoscience coming out of the place, especially by Radin et al.

Radin and his pals refuse to practice science. For example while working with Masaru Emoto:

In 2006, Emoto published a paper together with Dean Radin in Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing. They describe that in a double blind test they conducted, 2000 people in Tokyo could increase the aesthetic appeal of water stored in a room in California solely through thought.[13]

A better-controlled "triple-blind" follow-up study[14] published in the Journal of Scientific Exploration did not yield positive results. More than 1,900 of Mr. Emoto's followers focused gratitude on water bottles in a vault over a period of three days. The water was then frozen and compared to two different sets of controls. Crystals from all three groups were not considered to be particularly beautiful (scoring 1.7 on a scale of 0 to 6, where 6 was very beautiful). An objective comparison of contrast did not reveal any significant differences among the samples.[15]

Physician Harriet A. Hall wrote that "This watery fantasy is all very entertaining and imaginative, full of New Age feel-good platitudes, holistic oneness, consciousness raising, and warm fuzzies; but it's hard to see how anyone could mistake it for science."

Wikipedia

It would be great if they could produce unbiased results through their 'experiments' but so far they refuse, and then they run to the public with their findings. They can only convince pseudoscientists and those who suscribe to pseudoscience. Consequently they sell a lot of books to dupes who love this stuff. Hey, I can't complain if it keeps these kids indoors 'focusing their gratitude' on themselves.

Global Consciousness Project Criticism:

Based on an exploratory analysis of 'highly statistically significant' experimental results, the GCP has suggested changes in the level of randomness may have occurred during the September 11, 2001 attacks at the times of the plane impacts and the building collapses, and over the two days following the attacks.[17] Moreover, the GCP has identified similar 'anomalies' in the EGG data hours and even days before the attacks; while the GCP does not claim a causal relationship,[18] such changes—if genuine—would seem to imply either subconscious mass precognition, or backwards causality.[19]

Independent scientists Edwin May and James Spottiswoode conducted an analysis of the data around the 11 September 2001 events and concluded there was no statistically significant change in the randomness of the GCP data during the attacks and the apparent significant deviation reported by Nelson and Radin existed only in their chosen time window.[20] Spikes and fluctuations are to be expected in any random distribution of data, and there is no set time frame for how close a spike has to be to a given event for the GCP to say they have found a correlation.[20] Wolcotte Smith said "A couple of additional statistical adjustments would have to be made to determine if there really was a spike in the numbers," referencing the data related to September 11, 2001.[21] Similarly, Jeffrey D. Scargle believes unless both Bayesian and classical p-value analysis agree and both show the same anomalous effects, the kind of result GCP proposes will not be generally accepted.[22]

In 2003, a New York Times article concluded "All things considered at this point, the stock market seems a more reliable gauge of the national—if not the global—emotional resonance."[23]

According to The Age, Nelson concedes "the data, so far, is not solid enough for global consciousness to be said to exist at all. It is not possible, for example, to look at the data and predict with any accuracy what (if anything) the eggs may be responding to."[24]

Robert Matthews called it "the most sophisticated attempt yet" to prove psychokinesis existed, but cited the unreliability of significant events to cause statistically significant spikes, concluding "the only conclusion to emerge from the Global Consciousness Project so far is that data without a theory is as meaningless as words without a narrative".[25]

Wikipedia

Hey, at least they're trying.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by QMask

I so want this to be true.

But I have been disappointed so many times in the past.

If humans can do telepathy, then why is it SO DIFFICULT for the average person?

I would LOVE to have the ability to use telepathy on a reliable basis, every day.
But will that ever be possible, ...for an average person like myself?

One has to ask these questions.

Because meanwhile in reality, companies and cooperations are doing everything they can to keep our mind preoccupied as much as possible so we don't acquire such abilities. Though means of movies, music, ipods, iphones, facebook, etc.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark

I would LOVE to have the ability to use telepathy on a reliable basis, every day.

Because meanwhile in reality, companies and cooperations are doing everything they can to keep our mind preoccupied as much as possible so we don't acquire such abilities. Though means of movies, music, ipods, iphones, facebook, etc.

Yes, but back in the day, the means was taboo, not tech. And it's not just companies and cooperations. It's structure.

The primary data of this book concern side effects of using psychic abilities and engaging supernatural phenomena. Those effects can be discovered by analyzing the social milieu around the phenomena. Of particular interest are the repercussions to groups and institutions, including families, academe, governments, science, religion, and industry. There is a pattern, and generally the phenomena either provoke or accompany some kind of destructuring—a concept discussed at length in this book. For instance, the phenomena do not flourish within stable institutions, and endless examples illustrate this. Fortunately, two theoretical perspectives are already developed that connect the supernatural to ideas about social order and structure. The first is Victor Turner’s work on liminality and anti-structure. The second is Max Weber’s theory of rationalization. Both have profound implications for understanding psychic phenomena.

Source: www.tricksterbook.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Why is thread even in the Science & Technology forum?

a) No credible science has been put forth
b) OP clearly isn't interested in any discussion or opposing views on the topic

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
For those of you who are new to parapsychology, here is a very good intro

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It's been suggested that the reason we in the U.S., especially, are being poisoned with fluoride in our water is because it causes calcification of the pineal gland, which just may be the part of the brain needed to do psi. (Try calcifying your ophthalmic or oto-nerves and see how good those senses work...

As someone who would probably be a non-believer also, except I've had some experiences out of the blue, totally unbidden, rather unnerving, and definitely unexplainable, here's an analogy:

200 years ago, if you had tried to explain 'radio waves' to someone, you would have been considered starkers. If someone had further told you that you were being inudated, actually bombarded, with various forms of energetic waves and particles, your place in society would be most definitely at risk.

Thousands of radio stations out there and no one can hear them. But take a simple five dollar child's crystal radio set, fiddle with it a bit, and you can hear music coming out of the air. Disembodied people talking!!! Historical figures long dead!!!! Magic!!!!

What if your pineal gland, if you're lucky, is simply working and tuned? Everything is vibrations, y'know. Like a simple crystal set? To other people's thoughts, to things that have happened, will happen, or are happening now some distance away? And not only do some people have a working pineal gland, but possibly a highly tuned, highly trained one? There's a reason why the U.S. Army and the Soviets spent at least 20 years developing Remote Viewing programs and protocols, and are justifiably terrified if word got out that it's possible. What if YOU knew what EVERYONE ELSE was thinking? And THEY knew what YOU were thinking? Consider the possibilities. There would be NO MORE LIES, that's what. Talk about a bit of a shakedown on the present shakedown-based government and economic hierarchy.

Who are YOU to say it's not possible? Do you really think we know everything there is to know about the bundle of energy and nerves you call your brain? About the universe?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

We live in a dumbed down society. Our brains at birth are more in tune with these abilities being pure minded but as we get older and enter modern society, our abilities dwindle. I am a psy. I have been testing it the past few years and trying to unlock it more. I was told I had 4th dimension when I was a kid so I guess that has something to do with it. All it takes is practice. You aren't always going to get it but you can flex it like a muscle. I've weirded many people out in the past few years with it. Most notable the past few weeks.

Of course society may not be the only cause but it's my own theory.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
As a clairvoyant/ sensitive, it is true, and has always been true, from the beginning of communication, for all species, not just Hominids and has nothing to do with intelligence, although that does help in understanding what you are seeing or if it has any relevance, but for the most part everyone has this ability, most just don't understand, or they're too stubborn and skeptical to open their minds for the frequency. some people are always on the frequency and are fine tuned where as others just get glimpses from time to time, or must steadily focus so as to not break the signal, which in my opinion is bad for your health due to schizophrenia that can develop from looking too deep and taking what is going on too serious.

personally for me its best just to let it come naturally, and only use it when its important. It can be quite useful in crisis situation, or locating hidden enemies, that think they can outsmart my ESP, and give me a moving violation
......ain't never gonna happen guy's, i feel you miles way

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Dr. Michael Persinger the inventor of the God Helmet has discovered amazing results with his studies in ESP

Dr. Rupert Sheldrake has also accumulated statistical evidence in the psy phenomenon

I've notice this phenomenon is generating more popularity among the scientific community each year. Welcome to reality folks.
edit on 4-1-2013 by samaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulece

We live in a dumbed down society. Our brains at birth are more in tune with these abilities being pure minded but as we get older and enter modern society, our abilities dwindle. I am a psy. I have been testing it the past few years and trying to unlock it more. I was told I had 4th dimension when I was a kid so I guess that has something to do with it. All it takes is practice. You aren't always going to get it but you can flex it like a muscle. I've weirded many people out in the past few years with it. Most notable the past few weeks.

Of course society may not be the only cause but it's my own theory.
edit on 4-1-2013 by Soulece because: (no reason given)

Thank you for saving me the typing. i was getting ready to say the same thing and then I came to your post.

Twins nearly always have the connection, as do close family members under certain circumstances. I firmly believe we are born with abilities that are driven out of us pretty much from the day we are born. I have a connection with one of my children that is so strong, it's frightening.

I believe it runs in families, possibly because those of us who experience and recognize it, try our best not to hinder the development in the next of our generation.

The sad thing I've found is that many people I know who are have this natural ability are burdened by it to the extent that they fear being labeled as *insert derogatory term for different* and they turn inward. I know far too many incredibly intelligent people who experience this awesome gift . They drink or use other methods to "turn it off" in effort to not deal with it happening or with trying to get someone to understand.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
You know, despite technically being a skeptic, I came into this thread hopeful & primed for something awesome. Instead, the OP's colossal ego went on a bi-polar rampage. No OP, sir, skeptics have not blown anything, here nor there. You have. You blew the thread by being unnecessarily hostile, confrontational, and outright jerkish. Head-butting & insulting people with a conflicting opinion straight away is not the way to develop a scientific conversation. Yes, scientific. You are, after all, using scientific studies to bolster your claim anyway, therefore, scientific thread on telepathy, ESP, etc.

A shame, this could have been a neat thread, if you'd checked your attitude at first keystroke.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
i have, i think, figured out the form of telepathy being used to create the "voices" i hear. I can deduce how it works now better than before. It's quite genius and diabolical at the same time. Like i said, humans shouldn't have or dabble with telepathy. It's really really lame.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join