It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games and movies are conditioning people "Pavlov style" to massacre and murder as

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Please see my studies that disprove that. Its been said time and time again, nothing is definitive, and no two studies have proven results of another.

Edit - Can you prove (again court of public opinion here) any of the recent violence has a direct link to violence in video games?
edit on 3-1-2013 by Spruk because: posed question

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
There are more US Soldiers who've committed suicide in America, than those who've died in combat.

Imagine invading a country, but more of your soldiers are dying back home at their own hands, than soldiers fighting for whatever your 'cause' in the foreign land.

What would that mean? What is the motivation and reward, and why is one seen more rewarding 'outcome' than the other by American militant types?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How can you get out of the violence in violent games quickly? To kill yourself.

By killing yourself you get out of the situation quickly. Hmmmmmm

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

edit on 3-1-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spruk

Again i'll go with some quotes:

“But millions of people play violent video games and the overwhelming number wouldn't dream of enacting what they see on the screen.”
The urge to kill has more to do with the mind of a killer than the entertainment he or she prefers, Samenow said.
- Dr. Stanton Samenow (21/12/2012)

I keep seeing this similar point, and it makes no damned sense to me.

I mean, not like a little, ZERO!!

We're not dealing with "normal" people here. We're dealing with an extreme deviation from the norm.

Why are we talking about the rest of the people? Isn't this 100% illogical?

How many times must I say the same thing slightly differently before it makes sense to people??

I'm not trying to say that people are "wrong" for playing video games, or that they should be banned, or whatever else.

I'm saying it's incredibly obvious to me that these video games do have subtle influences on EVERYONE, and some people more than others.

That's common freaking sense. That the majority never commit a violent act who play video games in ENTIRELY irrelevant, and even mentioning it seems to show a lack of critical thinking.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I keep seeing this similar point, and it makes no damned sense to me.

I mean, not like a little, ZERO!!

We're not dealing with "normal" people here. We're dealing with an extreme deviation from the norm.

Why are we talking about the rest of the people? Isn't this 100% illogical?

How many times must I say the same thing slightly differently before it makes sense to people??

I'm not trying to say that people are "wrong" for playing video games, or that they should be banned, or whatever else.

I'm saying it's incredibly obvious to me that these video games do have subtle influences on EVERYONE, and some people more than others.

That's common freaking sense. That the majority never commit a violent act who play video games in ENTIRELY irrelevant, and even mentioning it seems to show a lack of critical thinking.

I'll start here

Through classical and operant conditioning violent video games and are training the population to reduce itself through pre-conditioned massacre.
. So my comments stating video games do not influence the whole are quite valid, the previous quote is from the OP.

Now we are making headway, perhaps i misunderstood your original comments. Yes some people are predisposed to violence due to psychological disorders, others are susceptible via other means (addiction etc).

But pinpointing this down to the subject of video games as a single source of and/or breaking point for these people who commit said crimes is where i am coming from as i believe it is untrue. There are a lot of factors to consider including environmental.

Simply playing Starcraft, CoD, Mortal Kombat etc wont always set someone off, there is always more to it, and that "more to it" we the population will ever find out.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spruk

But pinpointing this down to the subject of video games as a single source of and/or breaking point for these people who commit said crimes is where i am coming from as i believe it is untrue. There are a lot of factors to consider including environmental.

Simply playing Starcraft, CoD, Mortal Kombat etc wont always set someone off, there is always more to it, and that "more to it" we the population will ever find out.

Agreed.

I deviated from the OP's point, and pushed the focus elsewhere.

My bad.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

So true, but Socrates was talking about rude behavior.
This isn't rude behavior, it is training for mass murder. A little different.

Forgive me. I did not realize mass murder was not rude behavior.

All I'm saying video games are the latest scapegoat.
Just as TV was.
Just as movies were.
Just as music was.
Just as theater was.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The whole culture, primarily a US originating phenomenon, is like a dead and dried up corpse, with conditioned mindless zombies attempting to obtain sustenance by sucking the marrow from it's bones - it will make a great video game I'm sure.. or a new blockbuster film starring Angelina Jolie, oh never mind don't want to go there!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I actually agree with you

It's as if this fascination with "zombies" is indicative of a collective projection from the depths of our souls.

It's not that we wish to see zombies and will but pay monies to see them and entertain us. . .

. . . it's that we are unaware how disconnected we are from that little voice inside which is screaming, "WTF are you doing, idiot!!" . . .

We are the zombies.

We just don't fully comprehend it.

Hence the projection and bizarre desire for zombie flicks.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

The 20th Century was The Century of the Self, employing every manner of overt and covert manipulation of the masses.

Whose "think tank" was and still is The Tavistock Institute of Human Relations (what a friendly sounding name!)

www.tavinstitute.org...

My hope and prayer is that the 21st Century will come to be known, in hindsight as The Century of the Human Being, celebrating unfettered individual freedom of expression and creativity - all is NOT yet lost.. I hope and pray.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
As a long time veteran of playing video and PC games of all genre from cutsey cutsey to ultra violent for the last 3 decades... my one word answer to the question is... Bollocks.

What truly is the issue is not violent video games but the fact that despite supposedly being the most connected of generations the current one is one of the most detached, anti social, selfish, of low intellect (relatively speaking) robotic and psychopathic of the lot.

And it wasn't violent video games that made them like that. But... it is somewhat like giving a loaded gun to a chimp, it wont end well.

Are violent video games more of a problem for todays youth, yes, are they the sole reason for the problem... not by a country mile.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

As someone who since the age of 10 has played all manner of video games from first person shooter, to strategy, to RPG, to puzzle, etc, I have to say that I disagree with you. I think the reason that the more violent "shoot em up" games have been so popular in recent years is because that is what sells. I think the games are a reflection of the culture, not the catalyst for the violence we have seen and heard so much of lately. Think about it. Almost every game that comes out has a rating of M for Mature. Even if the game has nothing in it that is bad. Its the same reason that movies are all rated R in modern culture. Those are the movies and games that sell more every time. I do not think at all that they are conditioning us with video games intentionally. They have many more effective means to breed a violent, egotistical, confrontationalist culture and they are doing very well at it here in the US of A.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Maybe I am just different and can tell the difference between how one should act in a video game and in real life. It is possible some people can't separate the two though.
reply to post by johngalt722

That's the problem. Most of us can understand you can't act out what you see in a movie or video game. Some people have images of grander if they can do what they see in real life.

I think some of the military games are supported by our military to help recruit high school graduates. Kids think it would be cool to blow things up or becoming a sharp shooter. The problem is, these kids don't realize the emotional toll wars have on soldiers. They don't realize it's not like a video game where you can get killed and all you have to do is reset and start a new game. In real life when your shot you can't hit the reset button.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I think it's a combination of the rap and hip hop music alot of it is just repetition of phrases or an idea and how do we learn? We learn by repetion. Repetion and maybe dare I say it subliminal messages, perhaps.

Also what's up with the whole "gangsta" mentality and with creating a "style" out of the way that prisoners (I guess they still do) like to wear their pants.
edit on 3-1-2013 by 1loserel2 because: add

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My first knee-jerk reaction was to think violent video games are to blame. But think about it - Jack the Ripper didn't have video games. Humans have violent tendencies. Most are able to suppress them. I agree with Pinkie (page 1). Public hangings and decapitations were made into entertainment. Invaders raped and pilledged. What fun! Now news travels all around the globe within minutes. We are more aware of the bad things that happen, and therefore it seems like an epidemic. Truth is that we will always have the crazie in our midst. Lets hope that we will better identify them BEFORE they act.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
There is no logic to this, if i watch alot of politicians on tv for hours on end does that make me as greedy, corrupt and asmuch as a liar as them? All it does is make me hate them more and as for video games im pretty sure they let you take out fantasies on them rather than IRL for example i cant remember the last time a guy got arrested for trying to catch a lion with a pokeball

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lolliek
My first knee-jerk reaction was to think violent video games are to blame. But think about it - Jack the Ripper didn't have video games. Humans have violent tendencies. Most are able to suppress them. I agree with Pinkie (page 1). Public hangings and decapitations were made into entertainment. Invaders raped and pilledged. What fun! Now news travels all around the globe within minutes. We are more aware of the bad things that happen, and therefore it seems like an epidemic. Truth is that we will always have the crazie in our midst. Lets hope that we will better identify them BEFORE they act.
Spot on, i cant remember hearing hitler was the most evil man in history because he played call of duty? i could understand why it would of but still...maybe a game of marbles made him crazy

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
When I was a kid I played Doom and Duke Nukem, watched films like Predator and The Terminator, and read Stephen King novels. As an adult that still exposes myself to media containing depictions of violence, I abhor the violence humans perpetrate against each other and am in no way "conditioned" to it. Every time I read about civilian casualties, see parents beat their children, or watch a suffering pet I am disgusted and dismayed. If ever there is a time when these rotten things do not offend or shock me, then truly I am defeated and lost.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
All i watched growing up was horror and violent movies

I played Duke Nukem and GTA 1-4 for hrs on end blowing up pedestrians, helicopters, police cars, swat trucks and sniping from rooftops.

I haven't killed anyone nor do i plan on it ever. Never been arrested.
I'm also taking Zoloft.

You realize no matter how brilliant you are in psychology or sociology you can never predict violent behavior in the real world.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Violence in video games is good. A great stress relief.

Violence in public is not good. Creates stress for society as a whole.

Hence, if you cannot be smart enough to differentiate between these two paradigms, you are a total idiot AND

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join