It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games and movies are conditioning people "Pavlov style" to massacre and murder as

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Yup as stated, he was never really worried about the violent behavior, he was worried about the apathetic behavior.

~Tenth

reply to post by unityemissions

Please link one.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
if its operant conditioning, what is the reward given for the desired behavior ?

people toss around classical and operant conditioning without actually knowing what they mean.

the OP is trying to equate violent video games with real world violence, but neither pavlovian nor operant conditioning applies.

the real world does not present a conditioned stimulus, nor does it offer a tangible reward outside crimes like robbery (but we're discussing senseless murder).

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Yes, im new so dont tear into me too harshly (please?)
but dont they already do that ? I mean, last time i went to buy a video game that was rated "mature" i had to provide an I.D. to show i was at least 18

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by UberL33t

On that note, how many violent criminals do you think read "The Catcher in the Rye", that never played a video game?

Imagine there's no heaven,
I wonder if you can.......

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Heres a site, with links.....

From one Study.

In short, the American Medical Association does not say that there is a connection between violent video games and violence in real life.

From another.....

“Violent video games are like peanut butter,” said Ferguson. “They are harmless for the vast majority of kids but are harmful to a small minority with pre-existing personality or mental health problems.”

In plain English, people who are already suffering from certain pre-existing dispositions, (which could be mental health issues) continue to suffer from them after playing video games. Violent video games do not cause people who are mentally healthy to become violent.

It’s Time to Stop Blaming Video Games

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

This was what I figured would be the information. The truth is all recent studies show that the connection between violent entertainment and violent real life scenarios is mental illness.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Agree.

The bigger question is this then. How, as a society do we get those who need the help ? Is it up to individual family members to call the Police? Is it up to the Medical profession to diagnose children early? I know its a touchy topic to "profile" our kids, but what really can be done? Many questions here........

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

“Violent video games are like peanut butter,” said Ferguson. “They are harmless for the vast majority of kids but are harmful to a small minority with pre-existing personality or mental health problems.”

In plain English, people who are already suffering from certain pre-existing dispositions, (which could be mental health issues) continue to suffer from them after playing video games. Violent video games do not cause people who are mentally healthy to become violent.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that's the only decent conclusion that is reached.

How about: It shows people with certain mental illnesses are more likely to commit acts of violence when exposed to acts of violence...in real life or in video games.

Freaking idiotic conclusion!!
edit on 3-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I can tell you completely honestly that video games are the reason I know self-defence as well as I do..

I played a lot of Mortal Kombat and Mirrors Edge, and the skills I observed transferred to real life.

With a lot of work of course, but my point is, you CAN learn specific skills from video games.

Also driving games is where I learned physics at a young age.. and now I drive so.... lol

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I don't think it's all that cut and dried. It depends on the person...the individual. Yeah sure, there are some weak minds out there, but I have been playing really graphic video games for years and as another poster put it...I have never had any desire to "live" the games.

The real-real problem is....we are an overly "entertained" society. We don't pluck our ass off the couch for much of anything. I had a video that described the situation but it has since been removed by the owner....it described how our society is brainwashed and dumbed down because of our entertainment. We choose to live vicariously...we choose to allow these "superstars" to have the lives we would like to have for ourselves...we "choose" to find this acceptable. I do not. I prefer to live for myself. I don't watch sports all that much...screw those guys...no one should be paid that much to play a damn game. I don't buy a lot of music or movies...I do occasionally but it's a minimum. No one should get paid that much to "pretend".

Music is a little different...I do enjoy listening to and making music...I have always said there are only two kinds of "real" magic in the universe....mathematics and music...

But that is just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You know it is a very funny thing.

The world has always been a very violent place.

There have always been maniacs to run around killing as many people as possible.

you have to be moron to not see that violence has always been a prevalent human condition. You really should re-evaluate what you have written here and maybe you will realize how ridiculous you sound.

Violence in the US was much higher in the years proceeding video games

link   

I got those for starters, and more than a dozen that I can pile on top of it if you really want it.

Please note that a couple deal with meta-analysis, and address the issues concerning many previous studies which seemed to show there was no link.

link   

Ignore this post didn't see your last.
edit on 1/3/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm a little weirded out, OP, by the fact that you used the term "gamer massacres" in this thread. Really? You're trying to rebrand our recent tragedies as "gamer massacres"? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a pretty bold assertion, not to mention a little insulting to gamers.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Adam Lanza played Starcraft.

Millions of people do.

Why isn't there MORE deaths from playing Starcraft?

Come on, you know why.........

Cause your argument fails after you put the percentage of people who play video games, with those who murder people in cold blood.

Its THAT simple.

Maybe Adam thought Starcraft was real...........

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Urghhh!!

I refer you to my previous post which destroys this poor reasoning:

here

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There are more US Soldiers who've committed suicide in America, than those who've died in combat.

Imagine invading a country, but more of your soldiers are dying back home at their own hands, than soldiers fighting for whatever your 'cause' in the foreign land.

What would that mean? What is the motivation and reward, and why is one seen more rewarding 'outcome' than the other by American militant types?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I agree to a certain extent.. Video games could effect weak minded individuals much more than the average person. I say video games because I believe people get much more caught up and obsessed over them than a movie.

Personally I can have a violent temper though so does my father, and my grandfather and most of the males in my family (I am the only female with it
) so I feel anger is more in the genes and passed on.. I grew up in a violent house though I have never played a video game and thought oh yeah it's normal to do this in reality!!

I know guys who are obsessed with certain games and literally spend every waking minute on it, and only venture out to get food and go to internet cafes or arcades to play other games like Tekken etc. Though they are not the average person, and many times have had difficult upbringings so they resort to a false reality to escape.. I do think some of them would be influenced by a video game, though not a direct result..

If anything, video games have taught me I would be an awesome assassin

edit on 3-1-2013 by ssophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Ok so lookingo ver your studies and no I haven't read them all in depth to figure out who funded them and what the controls were etc..

However, they do state that being exposed to violent content in general provides an increase in aggressive behavior. I would agree with this on some level.

What I disagree with is the idea that these mediums of entertainment are the single reason for violent behavior such as mass shootings etc..

Nowhere in these writings can I find evidence that they were more likely to be violent towards another person for no reason. Agression and violence are different things.

But overall, I see your point.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Omg, I wil tell you who adam lanza was, my friends if any of you have netflix please look up thr movies called Rampage and if any of you have already seen it, its the perfect example of not to let your kids to watch.

In fact I was outrage by the movie itself. I watched it and said to myself, this is why we have these shootings. To me it was disturbing and should be removed

The point I'm making is, some kids with mental issues thinks its ok to do what they learn from movies and games. But they also learn from what their parents are teaching them or lack of.
edit on 3-1-2013 by sylent6 because: additional comment added

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join