It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games and movies are conditioning people "Pavlov style" to massacre and murder as

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Video games do indoctrinate and slightly train you. I have and continue to be able to defend myself through actions and reactions I learned in video games.

So yes, it is training you to be a soldier.

Only thing is, I can tell the difference between reality and video games. So I have no problem with being trained. Just remember, a fat and lazy dude can't actually fight that well no matter how much you play video games. You actually have to get fit if you ever want to use those indoctrinated skills you got.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
All the studies I've seen show that violence is continually decreasing, so I have a hard time believing that violence in video games, movies, or music has any effect on making people more violent. And with the ever increasing intelligence of generations, violence will continue to be on the decline. It may seem like the world is more violent today, but that's only due to instant access to information from all over the globe, in reality we've never had this much peace.

Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker: "Statistics reveal dramatic reductions in war deaths, family violence, racism, rape, murder"

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
There is no scientific evidence linking video games to real world violence.

Yes there is. You must not have been looking too much into it. I found several a few years back.

Neither is there any evidence to tie movies to such a thing either. What there is evidence of is that we are slowly creating an atmosphere where violence is regarded as normal and OK.

Yes there is. Those studies go back way further.

edit on 3-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

Maybe it dose, maybe it dose not.

Fact is that even if it dose, the number of people who go out to run down laidies with prams on the street, are the same people who would do it regardless, with or without videos or games.

A very small minority group of people..!!

So what, we supposed to ban video games now and TV, just to stop a few nutbags from hurting people..?

Hell, why don't we just ban everything, everywhere right now..lol

Get over it. I love my GTa, Fallout and Black-ops. Try to affect my gaming and I'll SMASH Yer heads in with a baseball bat until I see pink chunks ozzing down into the gutter..!!!

See, Video hasn't affected me all that much..

edit on 1/5/2013 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Video games do indoctrinate and slightly train you. I have and continue to be able to defend myself through actions and reactions I learned in video games.

That statement reminds me of this bit in the Onion movie where the 1337 D&D gamer whups the amateurs and then verbally proclaims his dominance and a wish to live in the real fantasy realm, his wish is then granted and upon entering the magic kingdom is promptly smashed to death by a giant troll. Moral of the story? The cool action skills you learn in video games do not transfer to actual life. Unless you find yourself killing zombies or stealing cars and abusing hookers.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Well, forgive me for my lack of specificity, but not those kinds of games lol.

There are fantasy games and thug life games with hitpoints and health bars....

...and then there are very realistic shooters and story games that teach you things and show you how to be a well conditioned soldier.

Again, it has certainly helped me in small fights, and in a game of paintball, did enable me to be a bit better than most on a first time playing basis.

Ever play Spec Ops: the line? Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon? Set them to high enough difficulty, and one bullet does indeed kill.
edit on 5-1-2013 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Despite what you want to think we are naturally a violent species. Video games, movies, and books are not to blame for this. We also have rating systems for this reason. Ratings provide insight as to what the contents may contain. From there people can make an informed decision as to whether the viewing party is mature enough to be able to distinguish the contents within as fantasy rather than reality. If people are not able to do so, they should not view the materials.

Video games themselves are just interactive versions of a movie. Movies are just visual adaptations of stories either spoken or written. I don't see anyone blaming Shakespeare for homicide or suicide even though most of his works included both. I don't see anyone blaming Looney Toons for accidents with explosives, for dogs chasing cats, or as the reason that coyotes chase roadrunners.

We may wish we lived in a perfect world and that violence never happened but violence is the reason we are here and that our species has even survived this long. Video games, movies, and books give people an outlet to unplug from their everyday lives and release pent up emotions that would otherwise cause violent outbursts, and allows them to do this in a controlled environment preventing harm from happening to others. If people have emotional reactions from games then they were not capable of differentiating that game from real life then they were not mature enough to play that game and should stop immediately. If they are unable to stop then they have a psychological condition called addiction and require help. The blame rests upon an individual's ability to distinguish his own psychological limits and understand his own maturity.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't believe you can relate every case to every other. Some are certainly situational being unlike the others. While some of the hobbies of the shooters remain alike they do not account for likeness of every incident. If one wants to place blame it should more be on the failings of the mental health system and big pharma pushing of anti psychotic medications that have serious side effects especially when not monitored well-namely in young adults.
edit on 5-1-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by johngalt722
I've been playing video games for over 20 years and I have never had the slightest inclination to go out and slaughter people or commit violent crimes.

Same can be said about gun owners that have owned guns for over 20 years.

Not everyone reacts to situations exactly alike.
If people can be easily influenced by song lyrics, seems logical that video games, that tend to give the player a sense of invincibility, can also contribute to them going "postal".

The Second Amendment has been around for almost as long as the USA, and we all didn't kill each other.
This country even experienced the violent shoot outs of the gunslinging Old West, yet we are still here.

In a nut shell, society is to blame, not guns, and certainly not the Second Amendment.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Cigarettes have well deserved health warnings but not all smokers are going to die of lung cancer or a heart attack.Apple products,music videos,DVD's and video games should also have health warnings.Warning may lead to obsession and demonic interference or possession in the weak minded or less intelligent.

The legion of the damned grows each day as people innocently download their information memes-or contagions.

But enough of my musings all I've seen recently on this website is mental musings on how evil and the spirit world doesn't exist-guess Im a dinosaur.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I have played them, but I don't believe they can effectively simulate what it's like to take fire from assault rifles or have a grenade explode near you.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Well not grenades lol.

But I think for assault rifles there is something to them.

idk. Maybe I'm more observant? I simply saw myself doing better at paintball and fights by observing motions in space from video games.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaxuul

edit on 5-1-2013 by Shaxuul because: (no reason given)

The game they played was called "Power Grab". How about instead of reposting internet memes that are not relevant to the conversation you take the time to process information like an adult. Megalomaniacs with armies are a different story from a 13 year old who feels isolated except when slaughtering his supposed foes in simulated HD for hours on end and knows his dad keeps his guns unsecured in a closet.

Im curious about how other posters would feel about letting children from the age 5 and up watch or participate in dog fights everyday for hours on end up close and personal. Its just a game right? They aren't killing "real people".

Apparently according to some posters in this thread the above dog fighting activity/participation should have no affect on a child's psychological development.

Oh you say its different because a child knows the difference in pretend and reality? Im pretty sure I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle when I was a kid and Im probably not alone.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Are TPTB encouraging violent movies, tv and video games to reduce the surplus population?

i just want to say even if this was on their radar it would be very stupid and time consuming on their part. just another excuse for bad parenting. can we ban bad parenting?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The game they played was called "Power Grab". How about instead of reposting internet memes that are not relevant to the conversation you take the time to process information like an adult. Megalomaniacs with armies are a different story from a 13 year old who feels isolated except when slaughtering his supposed foes in simulated HD for hours on end and knows his dad keeps his guns unsecured in a closet.

Im curious about how other posters would feel about letting children from the age 5 and up watch or participate in dog fights everyday for hours on end up close and personal. Its just a game right? They aren't killing "real people".

Apparently according to some posters in this thread the above dog fighting activity/participation should have no affect on a child's psychological development.

Oh you say its different because a child knows the difference in pretend and reality? Im pretty sure I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle when I was a kid and Im probably not alone.

If the child cannot tell the difference between pretend and reality when it comes to more adult material such as violence he should not be allowed to view the material, hence why we have a ratings system for all forms of entertainment which are also known as "Parental Guidelines". If the child is not mature enough to understand why Kujo and Lassy are attacking each other he should not be allowed to view that if at all possible. Unfortunately that violence will exist whether we try and block it from view or not for the simple fact that that same violence is the leading contributor to the survival of most species on this planet.

I also watched ninja turtles when I was younger, but I didn't see either of us in the news for hacking up someone with a sword yet. I wonder why that is...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Oh so that is why there weren´t any crimes or violent acts before the invention of movies and games!

wait a minute....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Thought provoking post. I've often wondered about the long term effects of games which include very graphic violence. Then there's the effect the games have on young kids whose parents let them play the games. A few friends let their kids who are under the ages of 10 play games like Black Ops 2. Its madness.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Deadlychicken

Parenting is definitely an issue and I don't think anyone is downplaying that aspect. After a child reaches school age it becomes much harder. For example when I was a child I had a friend who grew up in a pretty strict household. His mom was a teacher and his dad a pastor or something. No violent video games, no bad television. It was a pretty boring house to play at so my friend would come to my house to play where we could watch or play what we wanted.

The issue is not so simple as some try to make it. We are really dealing with the effects of moral decline which violent video games and media are a symptom. It began with the television age and as women entered the workforce the children were raised by television. That first few generations went on to increased divorce rates, drug use, sexual immorality, then they made video games, books, movies etc and now their children and childrens children are acting out in episodes of mass violence.

This latest generation is being groomed to fill body bags for world war 3. They need soldiers with no morality to commit the atrocities they have planned. Following orders will no longer be enough to get the job done.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

Good post!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Moviegoers tweet desire to kill white people after seeing 'Django Unchained'

"Seeing Django reignited my desire to kill white people," said "Flex."
www.examiner.com...
The tweet had been deleted, but many more were available.

"After watching Django, all I wanna do is shoot white people," another person said.

"We need a modern dy django to kill some white people (sic)," tweeted another.

"#IsItWrongIf u wanna kill all white for 30min after you see Django Unchained (sic)," added "Joey Logan."

"After watching Django all I want to do is eat baked beans and biscuits and shoot white people for money," said "Rusty Nail."

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I wonder how they responded to The Smurfs?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join