It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest part of the Maltese islands is today under water

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

I find Malta fascinating, I have always wondered how such a small place can support so many people, and the architecture - Stupendous! I sell some Maltese delicacies as part of my business, the Savina range. Lots of Maltese people in the city I grew up in too.

So at least I know you exist.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Forgive me if this is horribly off topic, but can the same technology used to map the ocean floor be used to find these archaeological sites, that are sunken? Are they limited to radar on site only?
edit on 5-1-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Very cool.

You never really hear about these islands, thanks for sharing.

Seeing this makes me wonder how Florida was 20,000yrs ago. I know there was more land but now it's not that far across the state. it takes about 3-4hrs in the widest part. I wonder when places near the Bahama's like Bimini Road were above water how this area looked and how far it went out. When I look at Google Earth I can kind of get an idea and that is a lot of land to be under water now. Sometimes when I look at GE I try an imagine how many areas looked prior to being under water, there are some areas that I am sure have some awesome under water relics.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Slayer I have to say that 99.99% of the really interesting threads originate from you! I just love ancient history and would love nothing more than to sit years on end reading every last word that sits in the halls of the Library of Alexandria. But alas, I don't have a time machine and not sure if Google Translate would work in pre-history... *sigh*

I suppose I will have to do the next best thing. Make my self a Vat of coffee and inject it intravenously over a long weekend and sit in a quite corner and have myself a marathon of Slayer threads! I am sure there is much I have missed but over the past few days: *BAM* killer Slayer thread....you want another Bam? *BAM* another killer Slayer thread! love it and thanks a million!

Which reminds me....although I have never "searched" ATS for this but I had read a book called "The Lost Continent of Mu" Have you ever heard of it or read it and what is your take on it? I believe they were tablets discovered in a temple in India. When discovered by a researcher, after some time, managed to get the monk curious enough about the tablets that they sat for a few years disciphering them together. Since the monk was familar with some of the symbols he was a godsend to the researcher.

The first to claim the existence of Mu was Le Plongeon in the late 1800's and then by James Churchward who was the one who befriended the monk/priest.

What's your take? I know many have disproven the theory.....If you have already touched on this in the past feel free to provide a link!

OK I see a few threads but haven't noticed any so far from you. Perhaps contributed? Either way would love your take on it and if it marries well with the new understanding of our ancients going back much further.
edit on 5-1-2013 by masta12d because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

People including scientists tend to think about sea level rise as some formulaic relationship to icecap melt ..

So how is it that we are finding ancient structures as deep as 2000' below current sea level ?

Crustal Plasticity

Massive weight shifted from glacial ice to ocean basins and in the process the dynamic balance of the Earth ...
changed causing both subsidence and uplift .

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Which makes me think of Malta's Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni, which is absolutely fascinating.You should look into it and make one of your famous threads about it.
Wiki Link

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Forgive me if this is horribly off topic, but can the same technology used to map the ocean floor be used to find these archaeological sites, that are sunken? Are they limited to radar on site only?

Sorry, I overlooked this reply somehow,

I'm not completely sure on that. I know side-scan radar is used but some feel it is not high enough resolution to be accurate.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

Did you know that England had MUCH more land around the same time as this is supposed to have existed? It was actually connected to Europe they say....

Crazy... Makes you wonder if we will ever get some of that land back that the oceans swallowed up....or lose more..

What!? You let the bloody North Sea steal your cabbage patch and you just sit there and let it happen? Seriously, first you lost North America, then India and now this... Where's the dragon slayer in you lad? Grab your sword and take it back!

On an other note, I'm only a stone's throw away from Carnac, Brittany, where Europe's highest concentration of Megaliths (Menhirs) are to be found, but to me the center of the Ancient Megalithic Culture could well be Malta, where the above water complexes today seems to be but the tip of the iceberg, and more underwater sites such as Gebel Gol-Bahar are to be found.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Largest part of the Maltese islands is today under water

I'd thought I would pop in and share this one with those of you who are interested in this subject. It seems that Malta apparently keeps getting a bit more interesting by the month. This time the story is that the Island once upon a time was much larger and as has been speculated large section of land were submerged as the ocean levels rose during the last ice age melt off.

I wonder what interesting finds are in store for us?

Thanks for the link Slayer. I'll add it to my collection. =)

Malta-Ragusa Platform: Submerged Landbridge from Malta to Sicily

top topics

<< 1   >>

join