It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

How are they attacking you and what exactly are you defending? Would like to get your take on both points, because I feel that most have differing views and understandings when it comes to this subject as a whole

Well, for starters: Ton of Gun Control Bills Hit the House

We're not just going to ignore that.

Plenty more bills are being introduced this week in state legislatures all over the country.

They've been slamming the front gate month after month since 1934 trying to break it down.
edit on 4-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Originally posted by Gargamel
I would just like to say that I find Americans telling people from other countries to stay out of their politics extremely hilarious and somewhat hipocritical.

How so???
I don't comment here on topics as to rights and going ons in other countries.
I am not in politics and don't EVER to proclaim I know what is best for OTHER countries.
But, keep marching on to that BS idea though.

Anyways more on topic, I don't think the issue is really "they are going to take away my guns and my right to bear arms" rather than it is an issue of "should you be able to so easily get them" and "what type of guns do you REALLY need to protect yourself"

2nd Amendment states otherwise, and since you are not a US citizen, your opinion sits below that of that white stuff you get on the side of your mouth when you are yelling/angry.

*disclaimer - I am Canadian,

Well geez, I didn't see that coming.
Another comment about how America should bow down and allow firearms restrictions from a NON US citizen????? I never saw that one coming.

have never owned a gun, have never held a handgun, shot a rifle a few times when I was a kid in the Scouts. I have never felt the need to have a gun, I have never been in a situation where I felt that a gun would have helped me and I grew up in a rough neighbourhood in one of the larger cities in Canada. This is just to point out that my life experiences may have been very different from others and that is where my view point comes from

So, your life experience is limited, and does not reflect that of the American experience.
That is all fine, but it still means ZERO.

I was refering to Americans in general, and the fact that you are all over the world trying to spread "democracy" to all the other poor misguided nations and before you say that it's your government that does that there are still millions of American citizens in the armed forces that are willing to go wherever to fight for these ideals

So the 2nd ammendment states you have the right to own semi-automatic weapons hmmmm interesting......

Let me ask you, how many situations have you been in where you needed to use your firearm. Just wondering because the way you talk it seems like you grew up in a war zone and there are people trying to hurt you around every corner.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks for sharing.

Let me ask you, if you didn't have a gun would you feel unsafe? Just asking because I'm not a gun owner, I've actually never fired a gun so I have a hard time making a connection with gun owners. I also feel safe, but I guess that's relative to where you live and what not...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks for sharing.

Let me ask you, if you didn't have a gun would you feel unsafe? Just asking because I'm not a gun owner, I've actually never fired a gun so I have a hard time making a connection with gun owners. I also feel safe, but I guess that's relative to where you live and what not...

No. But I'd be really pissed off about all the sports and events I could no longer participate in.

I didnt feel unsafe before I had a gun. I certainly didnt buy one for a sense of safety and I wont feel less safe should I no longer have one.

Although, if a bunch of guys in uniform showed up at my house and pointed their guns as me to take mine that would definitely leave me feeling very unsafe but not for simple lack of gun.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I was refering to Americans in general, and the fact that you are all over the world trying to spread "democracy" to all the other poor misguided nations and before you say that it's your government that does that there are still millions of American citizens in the armed forces that are willing to go wherever to fight for these ideals

Ah, the whole argument that Americans support what is going on, in regards to wars and such.
Your foot will taste so good.......
I want our Military pulled out of all foreign countries. Let them burn, kill each other, fail, prosper or what ever. I want ALL foreign aid stopped to all countries.

So the 2nd ammendment states you have the right to own semi-automatic weapons hmmmm interesting......

Ok Piers Morgan.
Please, go and read the 2nd Amendment and the Federalist Papers.
Then maybe, you might be up to speed on AMERICAN issues and laws.

Let me ask you, how many situations have you been in where you needed to use your firearm. Just wondering because the way you talk it seems like you grew up in a war zone and there are people trying to hurt you around every corner.

In countless instances.
LEO, Military and personal life.

Evil and crime does not just reside in war zones. You think this because of your ignorance in being educated from Hollywood and Liberal BS.

I am sure that where you reside, it is all Unicorns barfing rainbows, and everyone loves each other and there is no crime. That is nice and all, but is just not reality.

I plan for the worst and hope for the best. That is why I have chosen to exercise MY 2nd Amendment right and arm myself.

Stay helpless my friend.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You live in Chicago and feel safe?????
Sorry, I don't buy that.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

reply to post by jhn7537

You live in Chicago and feel safe?????
Sorry, I don't buy that.

Well, I don't live on the south-west sides where the crime is hahaha

I grew up in this environment of a big city, so I've been programmed to it, so no, im not scared.

Now if we take the scenario of me walking by myself down the streets of the Englewood neighborhood, then Yes i would be scared. But I avoid the dangerous areas so I never find myself in questionable situations...

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Now if we take the scenario of me walking by myself down the streets of the Englewood neighborhood, then Yes i would be scared. But I avoid the dangerous areas so I never find myself in questionable situations...

Crime, evil and criminals have never observed boundaries between the inner city and neighboring areas.
It can and will come in your area some time in your life.

Will you be ready for it, or be surprised when it shows up?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Gargamel

Yes, the point is simple.
I do have training for such things.
Usually the producing of a firearm in such an instance will have most running away, as opposed to beating a victim without a shot fired.
You are playing what ifs, so I played along.

You sound and come across as being very educated in Hollywood and Liberal drivel. That is nice and all, but not real world.

Again, you go ahead and take your beating from the 5.

I, will be armed and will work to stop the threat.

But, since you aren't even a US citizen, your opinion of OUR gun laws means even less.

Training like the law enforcement officer who shot his foot in front of a class room full of kids? That kind of training?

Hollywood, me? Coming from the guy who is going to shoot up the bad guys and scatter them with his super cool gun? Remind me again which is the most likely scenario because I do believe it sounds like you think you are Dirty Harry and are ready to make some punks day.

I could care less if any laws are changed in the good ol US of A. I do have an opinion on the subject though and I like to debate as well as kill time on a slow day at work. I just find the mindset very twisted and nearsighted. Keep your guns hopalong and hopefully you don't accidently kill someone or someone doesn't accidentally kill you.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I would be ready for it, but I don't need a gun to defend myself. And I choose where I live based on neighborhood safety. If my area began to go down hill I would move immediately.

And maybe one day I will even own a handgun for home security. Just right now in my life I do not. I'm not opposed to owning one, I just havent found it necessary yet. Maybe when I have a wife and kids that will change.
edit on 4-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Thats a matter up for debate IMO. 9/11 was an inside job and those criminals may do it again.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ah, the whole argument that Americans support what is going on, in regards to wars and such.
Your foot will taste so good.......
I want our Military pulled out of all foreign countries. Let them burn, kill each other, fail, prosper or what ever. I want ALL foreign aid stopped to all countries.

Ok Piers Morgan.
Please, go and read the 2nd Amendment and the Federalist Papers.
Then maybe, you might be up to speed on AMERICAN issues and laws.

In countless instances.
LEO, Military and personal life.

Evil and crime does not just reside in war zones. You think this because of your ignorance in being educated from Hollywood and Liberal BS.

I am sure that where you reside, it is all Unicorns barfing rainbows, and everyone loves each other and there is no crime. That is nice and all, but is just not reality.

I plan for the worst and hope for the best. That is why I have chosen to exercise MY 2nd Amendment right and arm myself.

Stay helpless my friend.

Helpless? What do I need help from? Imaginary assailants that have never accosted me?

I'm sorry that in your life you have had countless instances where your life was threatened but for the average person that is not the case.

Believe me, my life has been anything but sheltered BUT I don't live in a country where everyone has guns or are psycopaths just waiting to do me harm. You may be right, although I visited the States countless times and have many freinds that live there maybe I don't know what it is like to live in constant fear of my neighbour. If I did maybe I would pack heat too.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

unfortunately, it isn't uncommon.
it's not uncommon for them to wreck cars either but how is either event relevant to the topic ?
we were discussing armed civilians, not an abundance of errant cops with bad judgement.

accidents happen or are you suggesting the video participant was acting on purpose ?

i can agree with your assessment that reads ...

I would say it was negligent to point a loaded gun in a classroom full of kids.
only i would go further and state that it is a classic example of the human condition all over the world. "it'll never happen here or to me or to my family" ... what a farce.

i do not know how common it is either, my school days are long since gone and back then, we carried our guns to school and compared them in the parking lot
... seriously.
[didn't have ANY school massacres back then either ... well, Kent state happened but that wasn't quite the same thing as recent events]

i fully support the sport shooters and hunters although i am neither.
for me, personally, self-defense is number one.

this neighborhood has just had 2 home-intrusions this week and that is a regular occurrance. fix that and then we'll talk.

I think a lot of people give governments too much credit to organise conspiracies, they can barley organise themselves without stabbing each other in the back
to this i can only offer one piece of advice ... never and i repeat, never, under-estimate your opponent.

my friend, your mind is your own and i seek not to change it.
however, this environment is mine and i would hope you can at least respect it.
i am doing my best to 'deal' with it.

how 'bout we meet at the hockey rink ?
i would never discount the differences in culture, however, i will no longer submit to those who desire to harm me.
be that your choice, i honestly wish you the best as i am not physically equipped to ensure such success on a one/one basis.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

even though this question wasn't directed to me, i'd like to answer anyway.

Let me ask you, if you didn't have a gun would you feel unsafe?
sometimes, depends on the situation.
to the grocery, i feel relatively safe, even alone.
to Wal-Mart or other BigBox location ? not.

depends on the location, the crowd and the company with me.
fishing, camping ... always armed.
out at the bar ? never.

Just asking because I'm not a gun owner, I've actually never fired a gun so I have a hard time making a connection with gun owners.
understandable and thanks for being courteous

I also feel safe, but I guess that's relative to where you live and what not...
yes, it does.
i lived in an area with moderate crime until the State Police moved in and about 3yrs later, it became nearly impossible to be a law-abiding citizen without killing the rif-raf the PD seemed to bring with them.
needless to say, i moved.

the first week i lived at a new address, the neighbor (duplex) was robbed.
heck, a few weeks back, in my current neighborhood, someone attacked a dog with an axe
(it made national news)

crazy ppl are everywhere, no nation has more or less 'crazy ppl' on a per capita basis
(actually, i didn't look for any stats on such a thing, do they even keep those?)

and yes, limiting weapons to crazy ppl is a novel idea ... but, bringing that idea into restrictive legislation is never gonna happen.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Training like the law enforcement officer who shot his foot in front of a class room full of kids? That kind of training?

More training that he likely received. And that has nothing to do with his negligence is not clearing his weapon and following protocols.

Hollywood, me?

Yes.

Coming from the guy who is going to shoot up the bad guys and scatter them with his super cool gun? Remind me again which is the most likely scenario because I do believe it sounds like you think you are Dirty Harry and are ready to make some punks day.

Super cool gun?? Like the Mini Gun? Man that would be super cool.
As per training, there are many different scenarios that are gone over.
Just as the Martial Arts person can run the scenarios with defending numerous attackers, That is training I have run through with as well, just with firearms.
These are not super hard things to do. It just takes training and continual practice.

I could care less if any laws are changed in the good ol US of A.

So you continue to spew BS on topics that you truly have no clue on, except that you like to argue, as mentioned below.

I do have an opinion on the subject though and I like to debate as well as kill time on a slow day at work.

So arguing for arguments sake.
As for your opinion??? I would really like to tell you what to do with it, but.................................
It still means nothing, as you are not a US citizen.

I just find the mindset very twisted and nearsighted.

From the mouth of someone that has no issue with being a victim.
From the mouth of someone that has no guaranteed rights.
From the mouth of someone that is still a subject to the Monarchy.
Ok then, sure sure.

Keep your guns hopalong and hopefully you don't accidently kill someone or someone doesn't accidentally kill you.

I have yet to 'accidentally' kill anyone, and so have millions of other firearm owners.
Thanks for chiming in with crap that is not relevant.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Family changes everything.

But, I do truly hope that you never have the need for a firearm.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Helpless? What do I need help from? Imaginary assailants that have never accosted me?

From your imaginary 5 guys beating you. That's who.

I'm sorry that in your life you have had countless instances where your life was threatened but for the average person that is not the case.

How do you know that the average American citizen does have these encounters???
You don't live here, nor are you from here.

Believe me, my life has been anything but sheltered BUT I don't live in a country where everyone has guns or are psycopaths just waiting to do me harm. You may be right, although I visited the States countless times and have many freinds that live there maybe I don't know what it is like to live in constant fear of my neighbour. If I did maybe I would pack heat too.

I don't live in fear.
Stay in your country of origin, as it seems you are better suited for life under Govt rule.

edit on 4-1-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

More training that he likely received. And that has nothing to do with his negligence is not clearing his weapon and following protocols.

Hollywood, me?

Yes.

Coming from the guy who is going to shoot up the bad guys and scatter them with his super cool gun? Remind me again which is the most likely scenario because I do believe it sounds like you think you are Dirty Harry and are ready to make some punks day.

Super cool gun?? Like the Mini Gun? Man that would be super cool.
As per training, there are many different scenarios that are gone over.
Just as the Martial Arts person can run the scenarios with defending numerous attackers, That is training I have run through with as well, just with firearms.
These are not super hard things to do. It just takes training and continual practice.

I could care less if any laws are changed in the good ol US of A.

So you continue to spew BS on topics that you truly have no clue on, except that you like to argue, as mentioned below.

I do have an opinion on the subject though and I like to debate as well as kill time on a slow day at work.

So arguing for arguments sake.
As for your opinion??? I would really like to tell you what to do with it, but.................................
It still means nothing, as you are not a US citizen.

I just find the mindset very twisted and nearsighted.

From the mouth of someone that has no issue with being a victim.
From the mouth of someone that has no guaranteed rights.
From the mouth of someone that is still a subject to the Monarchy.
Ok then, sure sure.

Keep your guns hopalong and hopefully you don't accidently kill someone or someone doesn't accidentally kill you.

I have yet to 'accidentally' kill anyone, and so have millions of other firearm owners.
Thanks for chiming in with crap that is not relevant.

Well it seems to me that you have been the victim alot more than I have. I have never been a victim that is precisely why I do not feel the need to carry a gun.

Canada has the Charter of Rights and Freedoms which are guaranteed to me.

**Canadians are also allowed to own firearms we just don't view it as part of our culture and restrict them to the usefull types. Hunting rifles etc....

What does Canada still having ties to the Monarchy have to do with anything.

You type alot of words but don't really say anything, you keep calling me a victim yet you are the one who feels he needs to be prepared for the certanty that someone is going to try to make you a victim.

You say yourself that the debate about gun control has nothing to do with me as I am not an American citizen, yet you continue to try and prove your point. Why? I have already told you that I like to debate my opinion and that pretty much is what I am doing right now. Why do you continue the discussion?

As a side note I would like to point out that most people who own firearms have the most rudimentary of training. From your posts it seems that you have extensive knowledge and training with firearms. This is not the norm and this is not what I have an issue with. It's the people that shouldn't own guns just because they are too emotional or just a plain dumbass that I think there are issues with.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You say yourself that the debate about gun control has nothing to do with me as I am not an American citizen, yet you continue to try and prove your point. Why? I have already told you that I like to debate my opinion and that pretty much is what I am doing right now. Why do you continue the discussion?

Alrighty then.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gargamel

and, you think you're the only one who holds such an opinion ?

It's the people that shouldn't own guns just because they are too emotional or just a plain dumbass that I think there are issues with
the question of the day is ... how do we determine which is which and who is who among us ?

but, according to the OP,[color=amber] there is no reason why on the street today, a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons ... whereas the truth is ... the streets are where the criminals, emotionally challenged and plain ole dumbasses can be found and since they have loaded weapons, so should all they encounter.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join