It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professions with the most Psychopaths and how it effects our world

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The psychopath test

Answer on the link below
Link

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Where did you get that list from?

Psychopathic clergy??

I personally have encountered quite a few psychos in the nursing profession.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
reply to post by rickymouse

The psychopath test

Answer on the link below
Link

Geeze, I flunked the test
I always wanted to be a Psychopath.
I guess I have to go through the rest of my life just being crazy.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Oh No... I've worked in sales most my life and graduated from media arts school... I don't consider myself a psycho
But I am also a creative artist

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Thanks for presenting this info OP. Great stuff.

The lists make sense. I'm sure it does not apply to all. But I can see how and why it would to the majority in those fields.

I would consider myself an artist so that makes me feel a little better about myself.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
The problem with curing "psychopathy" is that psychopaths breed psychopaths. Thats how it spreads.

I've come to this conclusion after studying murderers and despot leaders like Adolf Hitler. It seems they were reared by brutal parents, namely fathers. So while its nice and all to consider teaching kids how to develop empathy in the school classroom, that is countered by the home front where budding young psychopaths are being beaten within inches of their life day after day.

Some parents do this too in fact "harden" their kids so they can survive in what they call a "dog eat dog" world.

By the way the top list needs a couple more professions added to it.

Soldiers
Fighter pilots (at least narcissistic)
Judges
Bankers and real estate
Cage fighters
Gangsters, mobsters
Most hard time prison felons
Anyone that woks for the IRS

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I am not feeling very confident in the assertion that these qualities necessarily denote one to be a psychopath.

What I percieve is that in social groupings, a structure tends to emerge, an organization, which makes cohesive cooperation possible.
It is a sort of macro-model of an entity- with a head and body, a will and instincts, parts which mirror the various parts of an organism.

A head emerges, which is higher, can see further into future and long term effects.
It has the job of projecting a vision, an intent or goal unto that future.
It stears the body into movements which are chosen according to their long term effects and delayed gratification, all focused towards the goal vision.
Doing this means one has to be able to shut out to some extent, or ignore, the urges for immediate gratification, and even the physical/emotional signals of stress or discomfort.

This is leadership position, and is a form of acknowledged, or legitamate power- a mirror of our conscious will.
But there is just as much power that lies within the "body" or "follower" positions.... but it is not acknowledged it remains unofficial....the mirror of our subconscious drives, which actually have a lot more influence than we tend to recognize and acknowledge! It is where passive aggressivity comes in, manipulation.....
So as far as power goes, these roles are not actually more than any others in reality.

But it is like role playing. And where I see a mistake here is the suggestion that peoples personalities are somehow "fixed" -you are like this or that.

I am a mother, I have been a teacher, a boss, and my hobby is training horses and dogs. In these roles, I am leader or dominant. My submissives play the role of body, and are free to explore their emotions and their physical senses in the moment, trusting me to look further and beyond and insure their security and pleasure in the future. They choose this role for their own reasons, one of them being the experience of connection with peers, empathy, selflessness, which is part of being one of the "cells" of the body.

But outside the contexts of these roles, I play the role of follower or submissive in other relationships and places- I am student, employee, and submissive of various kinds.

With each, I change and enter a different part of myself- I can be a psychopath if this description is what one uses to determine that, and I can also be a very sensitive and empathic collegue too.

This is just one of the ways the passive aggressive or manipulative "body" attempts to deny responsibility and impact the "head".

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
The problem with curing "psychopathy" is that psychopaths breed psychopaths. Thats how it spreads.

I've come to this conclusion after studying murderers and despot leaders like Adolf Hitler. It seems they were reared by brutal parents, namely fathers. So while its nice and all to consider teaching kids how to develop empathy in the school classroom, that is countered by the home front where budding young psychopaths are being beaten within inches of their life day after day.

Some parents do this too in fact "harden" their kids so they can survive in what they call a "dog eat dog" world.

...There is no "cure" for psychopathy. Nobody really knows what causes it or if it can be cured; evidently it's a disorder people are born with. There are many cases of psychopaths who are born and raised in loving, caring families; therefore cases have been raised of it being primarily genetic in origin --- neurobiological with defects in the amygdala and prefrontal cortex regions.

Again, there is no cure. A born true psychopath has no conscience, literally cannot feel love or empathy, or remorse. They don't regret their actions under any circumstances, and the only thing they possibly "fear" is being exposed. There's a reason the media & Hollywood has portrayed psychopaths as only ruthless killers... It's a well arranged lie to divert attention from the fact of who they really are, and their positions in the socioeconomic structure.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Neat list...the only issue being several people have held SEVERAL of those professions.....more nonsense that doesn't mean anything.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrplHrt

That is a bull# list. I've met a couple of psychopathic nurses and teachers.

What a crock.

Police Officer? If you had to deal with dicks all day you'd be a psychopath too.
edit on 1/4/2013 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

If that's the excuse for police officers, it would definitely extend to the nurses and teachers you mentioned

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Very interesting. It seems a slight psychopathy is necessary to value power in favour of living beings.

The notion of Plato's philosopher kings is difficult. There are so many who think that they are philosophers but end up being not so. Any leader who places his own ideals as the goal usually ends up creating a totalitarian government to enact them. Hitler is an example. He thought himself a philosopher.

We must first define what the philosopher is. I would say anyone who acts and thinks like Plato's Socrates is the perfect example of a candidate for philosopher king. I personally like the idea, and would use Frederick the 2nd or the roman emperor Marcus Aurelius as examples of past philosopher kings. They are very rare.

edit on 3-1-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: wrong frederick

The concept of a Philosopher King is a paradox. The process of creating the governing mechanism, absolute rule, for a society that is useful to a Philosopher King would destroy the philosopher aspect of the King. Thus, all that would remain is the King, devoid of any reason, introspection or ability to see beyond the shadows of the cave wall. It would be impossible for another Philosopher King to take over after the King passes because a society that is useful to a Philosopher King would be toxic to a proto-Philosopher King. That is why I like the idea of the Philosopher Citizen over putting it all into one impossible to carry mantle.
edit on 4-1-2013 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I'm a little surprised to see the clergy persons in the first list. I've seen many false priests and, it's well known, many priests are pedos but psychos?

Is it possible that psychopathy is Solely a socioculturally induced mental illness?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The obsession for power that we often see in government (elected and unelected office) seems to be a mental disorder in the extreme cases. Maybe there should be a psych test for office (including all law enforcement).

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
OP,

If you take a closer look at the psychopathy list, you'll notice those are (mostly) high-paying professions. Whereas the low psychopathy list is (mostly) low-paying positions. So in effect, our society rewards those who act ruthlessly.

Great thread. S&F

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
OP,

If you take a closer look at the psychopathy list, you'll notice those are (mostly) high-paying professions. Whereas the low psychopathy list is (mostly) low-paying positions. S&F

Doctors are one of the highest paying professions but it, like nursing, is one where care is given to others (ie empathy). Psychopaths have no empathy.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
... in a weird way I'm glad we have psychos.

Intresting that number 8 on the list is the clergy

edit on 3-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

I forgive you for not knowing what you are saying.

Have you ever had to live with one? The answer must be no, otherwise you would not be saying what you are saying.

You have no idea, my friend.......

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Basically power corrupts......

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I hate to burst your bubble but a lot of the western world namely the United States is full of them no matter what profession your talking about.

Most people who point fingers can't look inward and if they did they'd see they have no reason to point.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The psychopathy problem will only get worse in the future, because in modern civilisation there is an evolutionary advantage to being a psychopath.

It wasn't always this way. When we were still hunter gatherers living in small close communities psychopathy was easier to spot and root out. Secrets were harder to keep in those days and so the human genome benefitted from them being found out and killed, exiled, or prevented from having children. Thereby reducing the number of them as a percentage of the population.

Now, with communities (cities) in the millions there could be a psychopath next door and you might never know. We have lost the tools to root them out and because of the characteristics of psychopaths it makes it much easier for them to climb the career ladder. It also makes it easier for them to reproduce because they can lie through their teeth and keep a relationship going that would otherwise have collapsed had both partners not been psychopathic. This means psychopathy as a percentage of the population is on the rise, even without factoring other non-geneological reasons for it.
edit on 4-1-2013 by merkins because: Too many psychos

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join