It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professions with the most Psychopaths and how it effects our world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Source

First off, psychopath doesn’t just mean someone who cuts you up with a chainsaw — though the majority of people who do things like that are psychopaths. What’s the definition?

Psychopathy is a personality disorder that has been variously described as characterized by shallow emotions (in particular reduced fear), stress tolerance, lacking empathy, coldheartedness, lacking guilt, egocentricity, superficial character, manipulativeness, irresponsibility, impulsivity and antisocial behaviors such as parasitic lifestyle and criminality.

So which professions (other than axe murderer) do they disproportionately gravitate towards — or away from?

Most Psychopathy +

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (TV/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police Officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10 Civil Servant

Least Psychopathy -
1. Care Aid
2. Nurse
3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity Worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative Artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant.

Now just by looking at the top 10 list of the most Psychopathy, we can see right off the bat, that the list includes a large portion of positions of power.

When I look at the World and the problems of it, I usually see the top tier being Governments, Secret Societies, and Bankers at the very top of the list. The CEO's are working with the Lawyers, the Media is owned by the CEO's/Lawyers/Bankers, all who have all of Alphabet agencies and cops working for them, along with Clergy who are also in charge of keeping alot of sheople in check.

So basically Psychopaths run the world and have their own agenda. No empathy, no Love, just completely cold and keeping their own agendas at the top of the list.

(Surgeons & chefs I will mention only to the extent that they need to keep the bottom line in check and need to get the job done, so in a sense a certain level of disassociation would be necessary)

Let's look at the top 3 of the least psychopathy, and you will find that they are jobs that require a lot of Selflessness.

Either way, I think it's rather clear, Psychopaths run the world. That's why we have useless wars, corrupt CEO's/Bankers, greed, manipulation, destruction, and a whole slew of other issues can be said are due to psychopaths.

Personally (Opinion)
1. I think the only way to solve this is to change the educational system and introduce the notion of Socrate's "Philosopher Kings". Mainly raising certain youths, who have an interest in politics, with a large amount of empathy, retreats, meditation, understanding, learning about the sufferings of the people, and being all about help, empathy, enlightenment.

2. Spiritual Enlightenment may be the next evolutionary step for mankind, and technology may help us get there. If this is so, then it would be selfless enlightened Beings that take over positions of power who would be Just yet Selfless, Empathetic yet Logical, Incorruptible and seeing the grand scheme of things.

But I don't personally see my 2 ways of solving this psychopathy problem coming to fruition until possibly another 100-1000 years from now, as more and more countries become 1st world and their populations become educated and civil. As well as scientific breakthroughs in the study of consciousness that give us access to deeper portions of it, without having to meditate in caves for decades.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

They are legion. Government, military and other power-hungry and controlling personalities will smile and look agreeable, all the time not hearing a thing you say.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

They are legion. Government, military and other power-hungry and controlling personalities will smile and look agreeable, all the time not hearing a thing you say.

Yeah, I had a buddy who was studying and now is a psychologist, who also went into the Military. He basically broke down the Military complex as a giant game based on mutual agreements between sadists & masochists, both under the tutelage of psychopathy.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hooray I'm number 1 in least psycho (Care aid If that is what I think it is) or number 2 (similar job) maybe we should all swap jobs for a week and see if the caring ones can run things better eh?
But sometimes a psycho can make the hard decisions that I would have difficulty making so in a weird way I'm glad we have psychos.

Intresting that number 8 on the list is the clergy

edit on 3-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Very interesting. It seems a slight psychopathy is necessary to value power in favour of living beings.

The notion of Plato's philosopher kings is difficult. There are so many who think that they are philosophers but end up being not so. Any leader who places his own ideals as the goal usually ends up creating a totalitarian government to enact them. Hitler is an example. He thought himself a philosopher.

We must first define what the philosopher is. I would say anyone who acts and thinks like Plato's Socrates is the perfect example of a candidate for philosopher king. I personally like the idea, and would use Frederick the 2nd or the roman emperor Marcus Aurelius as examples of past philosopher kings. They are very rare.

edit on 3-1-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: wrong frederick

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I personally like the idea, and would use Frederick the Great or the roman emperor Marcus Aurelius as examples of past philosopher kings. They are very rare.

The two above and Socrates are great examples. Surely there are people out there with these similar attributes. Or perhaps a greater portion of these attributes can be learned/gained through a customized eduction system and selective upbringing by philosophical minded parents.
edit on 3-1-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Civil servant really? I'm a civil servant and I work with hundreds of other civil servants. I don't exhibit those traits and neither do a vast majority of my coworkers. Although I will say that SOME perhaps could be psychopaths, that is a little bit misguided.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I think some of the top psychopathic careers sort of require people to detach from their emotions in order to make decisions for some thing like an organization, state, business, company, etc rather than for some body, like, say a patient. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with this ability accept when this "ability" starts to threaten the well being of society (or the planet). I think the problem is when this type of detachment is no longer used in moderation.

On a personal note: I'm not sure where I fit in here. I'm not really a power hungry "play the game" kind of guy. But I'm not really an empathetic---care for people kind of guy either. I would rather be a truck driver than a CEO (for the alone time) and a philosopher than a statesmen. But I would rather live out in the woods than be a comforting doctor. I do think that this category reveals some general truths about the psyche of man and woman, but it can't tell us which individuals will kill whom and when.

-Ghoster
edit on 3-1-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Sorry I meant Frederick the 2nd, although Frederick the great also had his moments.

Certainly a philosopher would understand that leading an empire will never end well, and that might deter a philosopher from trying to lead. It's strange that Socrates himself didn't attempt to lead, and it makes me wonder why. I assume that a life of leading for him was either futile, vain or too much of a sacrifice to his philosophies. Maybe that's why he considered training them philosophically from a young age and basically breeding leaders for the sole purpose of being kings.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

GOOD JOB Dom ! I kind of thought surgeon would be No.1 and I guess Politician isn't really a profession ?

These psychos are referred to in scripture as the wicked

SnF
edit on 3-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I wouldn't take this book as gospel. Trot on over to amazon and read some of the reviews to get an idea of the reputation of the field of evolutionary psychology, not to mention the veracity of this guy's conclusions. It's just another pop psychology book by an academic who wants desperately to get on a bestseller list.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
I wouldn't take this book as gospel. Trot on over to amazon and read some of the reviews to get an idea of the reputation of the field of evolutionary psychology, not to mention the veracity of this guy's conclusions. It's just another pop psychology book by an academic who wants desperately to get on a bestseller list.

I don't know about your above theory. I've personally worked in and around several industries that have had some of the top 10 psychopaths, and have experienced exactly that, I high level of Psychopathy.

I have a high up banker friend, who actually tipped me off that alot of his friends have bought land and houses in the country for when everything falls apart, and he told me that in his experience, psychopathy runs industry.

This is experiencing quantifying theory here. Perhaps other ATS'ers who have experience with members of the top 10 can attest to this as true or not ...instead of theories

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Accountants? I dont know about that one... all that apparent boredom they transmit, the lack of interesting talk, those awkward disregard for passionate or more strong emotional signs like owning red sports cars or skydiving may hide well that inner rage that one day just POPS THE CAP AND MAKES THEM SHOOT PPL AND STORE THEM IN A FRIDGE.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with reduced fear, that's something everyone should strive for. The rest of those characteristics are concerning.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

As is normal, the list doesn't apply to us up here in Yooper Land. I know more doctors than surgeons here that act psychopathic. Especially when challenged with their choice of meds. The cops around here aren't too bad, there are a few that are a little crazy but overall most are good. Teachers let it show when they are challenged. It seems to me that this list is irrational. People who gain power and prestige too fast usually turn a little off tilt. Most times they come down to earth after a while but there are some that never do.

The list of Psychopaths didn't even include ATS members.....
....how odd.
edit on 3-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see where "non-professionals" fall as well. All the listed areas are professional fields of study. I wonder how the lists may differ if occupations such as fast food, factory workers, delivery people, sales clerks and the like were included in the statistics.

I'm on the least pyschopathic list, so I'm happy with that anyway

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Geat thread.

I made a thread lately called: " The psychopath test. "
It kinda showed me that there is a lot more psychopath than we think...

Read the question, come up with an answer and then click through for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it reads. A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met a man who she did not know. She thought he was ‘amazing’. She believed him to be her dream partner so much, that she fell in love with him right there, but never asked for his number and could not find him. A few days later she killed her sister. Question: What was her motive for killing her sister? [Give this some thought before you answer.

edit on 3-1-2013 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
My friend is a Chef and I can understand why they would be on the list. Dealing with snobby people everyday, feeding 200+ every night! And those people complain to make themselves feel important and cultured because they watch the food network. Not to mention taming the 6 or 7 other cooks in the kitchen most of whom are only there for a paycheck.

So yes I can see why Chef would be on the list. Thank you for sharing

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

I know this test! I won't post the answer but thanks for reminding me of this oldie but a goodie "almost" trick question.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
Geat thread.

I made a thread lately called: " The psychopath test. "
It kinda showed me that there is a lot more psychopath than we think...

Read the question, come up with an answer and then click through for the result. This is not a trick question. It is as it reads.

A woman, while at the funeral of her own mother, met a man who she did not know. She thought he was ‘amazing’. She believed him to be her dream partner so much, that she fell in love with him right there, but never asked for his number and could not find him. A few days later she killed her sister.

Question: What was her motive for killing her sister? [Give this some thought before you answer.

Maybe she was mad at her sister for something, possibly to do with the mothers death? There isn't enough evidence there to figure it out. Seems that her falling in love with the guy at the funeral should have been a clue that she was kinda off though.
edit on 3-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join