It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina's President Demands Falklands Back. Again.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

We even did the decent thing and said "OK lets go 50/50 on the oil etc" seeing that we will need them to help export the oil etc but they said "No" so feck em, I bet we wait til that women is out and offer it again to the next person who hopefully will see sense.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

But your area for debate is moot. Distance to teritory is only applicable in the time where the land does not already have recognised soverignty or at the very least an indiginous population. Argentina has no legal right to the Islands which is exactly the reason why they are still under British Soverignty. They can rattle their sabres all they want, we all know it is only for two reasons, with the first being that is gains political points for Kirchner with her people and secondly they are scared they will miss out on the copious amounts of oil underneath the surrounding areas of the Falklands. No oil and they wouldn't give two hoots.

I would like to hear other members opinion. The things about laws is there not always right and therefore they get updated. It would be nice if there was a member on Ats who had current understanding and knowledge of international territorial laws. Im not interested sabre rattles or theories, just want to see facts for the debate.

Forget the laws, simple common sense should prevail here.

1) The Falkland Islands has existed for far longer than Argentina has, therefore how can Argentina have any right to the Nation?

2) The people overwhelmingly do not wish to be under Argentine Soverignty.

3) There has been NO Argentine indiginous population on the Falkland Islands in the whole history of Argeintina existing.

Is there really any kind of debate here?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Nope, I agree that the wishes of the people should be paramount here. And as for the proximity issue, can I remind people here how many nations currently claim the Spratley and Paracel islands?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Forget the laws, simple common sense should prevail here.

Whose version of common sense? Yours or someone elses?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Erm I don't know maybe the people who have lived and worked there for generations.
They are the only people who can decide this and it looks like they wish to remain with the UK, that should be the end of it.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Erm I don't know maybe the people who have lived and worked there for generations.
They are the only people who can decide this and it looks like they wish to remain with the UK, that should be the end of it.

But it wont be the end of it. I imagine any international laws written pertaining to this wont be using the word should in their sentences.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

There are international laws banning the torture of prisoners. That doesn't stop the United States of America hauling up people into Guantanamo Bay and performing Waterboarding on them amongst other things. International laws are worthless. Anyway despite the fact that international laws aren't worth the paper they are written on, they would still state that the Falkland Islanders are legal inhabitants of their own land.

At the end of the day. If it comes down to it we the British people will forcably ensure that those Islands stays in the hands of the rightful owners. If the Argies want to test us again, we will kick them to kingdom come except this time it will be a bloodbath because we are fortified and far better prepared than before. Bring it on if you think your hard enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

There are international laws banning the torture of prisoners.

well if you want a just cause join a pertition to get some. One just cause has a habit if leading to the next. A Domino effect of good actions may actually see the British and Argentina sharing the Falklands.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

International laws? like which the Argentinians have broken when they introduced new controls on shipping passing through its waters?

Here

conservativehome.blogs.com...

www.falklands.gov.fk...

www.falklands.gov.fk...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

We have bent over backwards to share the wealth the falklands may have but they said no.
If they want to try and take it by force they will be fighting the EU also (Lisbon Treaty).
We lost 255 brave men who travelled 7500 miles to help people who needed it and trust me the Falklands run deep in the UK's soul and I know many people would fight again to help our brothers and sisters.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

We wouldn't need the EU to help us fend off the Argentinians. We have Typhoons for air supremacy, Rapier II for defence against missile attack and an astute class submarine sat in waiting backed up by the most advanced Destroyer on the planet in the Type 45 Destroyer. Then if by some miracle they managed to penetrate that, the ground invasion would be pretty difficult considering the lands are being guarded by Royal Marine Commando's. Argentina has 2 hopes of taking the Falklands by force and that is Bob Hope and No Hope.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

My mate was in the Army and he was a cook at one of the bases in the Falklands and when he was not cooking he had to watch the planes land and then go and pick up any penguins which had fallen onto their backs (The penguins used to watch the planes land and fall over)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

The penguines also like to tease you. There are lots of mine fields left over on the islands and the Penguines have learned that we won't enter them. The thing is the Penguine is not heavy enough to set off the mine but we are so of course we will not enter the field and the Penguines stand in them almost mocking you knowing you cannot chase them

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Lol I hate the Sun paper but hats off to them, they have paid for two pages in the Argie press here

www.bbc.co.uk...

Basically saying hands off our island

It finishes with

Until the people of the Falkland Islands choose to become Argentinian, they remain resolutely British.

Somehow I don't think it will go down to well with the Argies but hey she started it

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I have a vague memory of a statement by an Argentinean soldier who was there in 1982. I think he said that he was very disappointed not to be greeted as a liberator by the locals, which makes me wonder what kind of bad/poor/fraudulent information was being put about by the Government of Argentina.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

They can demand all they want, it isn't going to happen.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
RAF Mount Pleasant on the Falklands has the world's longest corridor. It's half a mile long. It's nicknamed the Death Start Corridor.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join